Artie then plays a brilliantly constructed improvised solo that includes some choice Shavian high-notes, including a singing high A. I would like to include the comments of clarinetist Kevin Ritter here for the benefit of Shaw fans who want to know as many facts as possible about Shaw’s iconic solo on his Victor recording of “Star Dust.” Here they are: “Just to add finality to a point raised in the comments section of the attached article, I have copies of the score and all the parts to “Star Dust” and Artie’s solo from the 1940 record is not written out at all, in the Full Score of the 1940 arrangement, or on either of the two sets of Parts from 1940 and 1944/45 respectively. This was a major catastrophe for Shaw’s booking agency, General Amusement Corp. That, essentially, was the end of Artie Shaw’s first great band. Shaw’s last appearance on the weekly NBC Old Gold Melody and Madness  radio show was on October 3. Increasingly, his time was also spent in discussions with his personal manager, his booking agency, his band manager, advertising executives, network radio executives, publicists, venue owners, music publishers and, alas, the media. Some time later, he reached Acapulco, Mexico, where he sequestered himself. “Johnny” Guarnieri, piano; Alton Reynolds “Al” Hendrickson, guitar; Jud De Naut, bass; Nicholas “Nick” Fatool, drums; Truman Boardman, Ted Klages, Bill Brower, Bob Morrow, Alex Beller, Eugene Lamas, violins; Allen Harshman and Keith Collins, violas; Fred Goerner, cello. But Butterfield’s trumpet playing inspired Shaw to create something new: a dramatic setting for three virtuoso solos. (*) (At left: Shaw and Lana Turner in his house on Summit Ridge Drive in Los Angeles – spring 1940.). Artie Shaw (born Arthur Jacob Arshawsky; May 23, 1910 – December 30, 2004) was an American clarinetist, composer, bandleader, actor and author of both fiction and non-fiction. I want to add my thoughts to this wonderful discussion. Predictably, the end came all too soon. But history is not an exact science. It came in mid-June. P.O. The (for the time) extraordinary octave leap to high F was admired far and wide by musicians and sophisticated audiences, not only for the ease with which Jenney’s managed the deed, but for his elegance and sensitivity of phrasing. Post a Comment Popular Posts The Problem of "Business Casual" Attire. The media was awash in Shaw stories, pictures and features. John, here are the comments from the Clarinet Bulletin Board on this subject: “Well I emailed a professor at the University where the Artie Shaw library is housed. Shaw pulled his band off the bandstand before the scheduled ending time of the gig, and there was a near-riot in the ballroom. Arthur Jacob Arshawsky eli Artie Shaw (23. toukokuuta 1910 – 30. joulukuuta 2004) oli yhdysvaltalainen jazzmuusikko. At least one other recording of this band playing “Star Dust” exists, and it has a different clarinet solo. He would return to music and then leave again and again over the next fifteen years. James Infirmary” (1941) Artie Shaw with Hot Lips Page, “Green Goon Jive” (1941) Jan Savitt/Billy Moore, “‘T’Aint So Honey, ‘T’Aint So” (1938) Bunny Berigan – with Georgie Auld, Joe Dixon and Buddy Rich. Artie Shaw (born May 23, 1910, New York City, New York, USA - died December 30, 2004, Thousand Oaks, California, USA) was an American clarinetist and bandleader. When they arrived in New York, they stayed at a luxurious hotel, and spent the evenings dining in Manhattan’s best restaurants, sometimes taking in a Broadway show, then making the rounds of the dozens of venues in New York that then presented live music.Lana loved swing and jazz, and courtesy of the M-G-M dancing school, she was an excellent dancer. 50 Great Big Swing Hits! Artie Shaw song lyrics collection. Artie Shaw Top Songs in the Charts Top One Hit Wonders of the 1940s Top Pop One Hit Wonders Stardust was the #3 song in 1941 in the Pop charts . This suggests that he improvised it. In the 1944 revised version of “Star Dust” in which the strings were done away with, at some unknown point AS transcribed his clarinet solo from the 1940 record in pencil and he wrote it on the back side of his own clarinet part. More telling, perhaps, is that one week after he recorded the 1940 arrangement for Victor, he performed the same arrangement on the NBC Burns and Allen radio show. The written clarinet part (on the front and in ink) was like every other “Artie” part in his book – as just a conductor’s lead sheet of the whole arrangement transposed for Bb clarinet with indications of where his solo sections were for him to play, and includes other sections where he plays arranged sections of the arrangement with the rest of the band. He also had to be the musical director of his band. He changed things very slightly during the performance. His expansive solo (in two takes) is similar in mood and construction to his brief solo on the Shaw record. As success came to Shaw, all of these musical considerations became more difficult to deal with. Lana had never seen New York, but Artie was a denizen of Manhattan. April 09, 2020 Share Get link; Facebook; Twitter; Pinterest; Email; Other Apps; Share Get link; Facebook; Twitter; Pinterest; Email; Other Apps; Comments. Just my opinion, but I’d bet money on it. Lawsuits flew, and the press had a field day. First, I appreciate that all who have commented have done so. Business Casual the RIGHT way, ladies and gentlemen. This band started out very good, and just got better as time passed. Shaw did not need Hayton’s guidance with the harmonic structure of “Star Dust.” He undoubtedly was quite familiar with that by 1940. The band remained in Hollywood. So they decided to take a train trip, departing Union Station in Los Angeles, and heading to New York (via Chicago) on the Santa Fe Super Chief. Artie Shaw and His Orchestra, Soundtrack: Murder on the Orient Express. In 1940 the #2 song in the charts was Frenesi by Artie Shaw. (See below.) A side (Frenesi): mx 042546-1, recorded Hollywood, CA, March 3, 1940. Shaw’s blueprint included a soaring open trumpet solo that he wrote out for Billy Butterfield to start the piece, and then space for him to play a rhapsodic, improvised clarinet solo, and lastly, an eight-bar spot for trombone virtuoso Jack Jenney to improvise. He certainly remedied that in the first half of 1940. I’m interested in making music. Lesen Sie Rezensionen und Empfehlungen und informieren Sie sich über Tracklisten, beteiligte Personen und Weiteres. His first public appearance leading his own band was in his native New York City on the 24th of May, 1936 and he became one of the biggest names in jazz and popular music during the late 1930's and 1940's swing heyday. Golden Sky Records: 2013 : Various Artists . My opinion is that Artie Shaw improvised the solo we hear on his Victor recording of “Star Dust.” I say that for many reasons. Keith Pawlak I mentioned in the post that Shaw had a different arrangement of “Star Dust” that he played in 1938-1939. These often have their genesis in pronouncements Shaw himself made as early as the late 1930s (and for decades thereafter), when journalists were insatiably curious about this handsome young (and later not so young) man, who was articulate and intelligent, and could play the clarinet and lead his swing band so brilliantly. Each time he returned, he made fine music. Tucson, AZ 85721. Stardust - Artie Shaw and His Orchestra (Live 1940) - YouTube When they arrived in New York, they stayed at a luxurious hotel, … And besides if they made me, what do they want my autograph for? So it was rather unusual for Hayton to give some “guidance” to Shaw on his part – even if Shaw only loosely followed what was written. The solos Shaw played on those performances are different from one another, indicating to me that he improvised them. Song information for Stardust - Artie Shaw on AllMusic AllMusic. During the time all of this was happening, Shaw also had to maintain his clarinet playing at virtuoso levels, which was easy enough when he was working with his band, because he was then playing the instrument six to eight hours every day. I have contacted Keith Pawlak at the Univeristy of Arizona Artie Shaw archive and asked him to explain what is on the “Star Dust” arrangement we have been discussing. (Betty Grable and Shaw are shown at right in the autumn of 1939. He and arranger Lennie Hayton, who had been a successful radio conductor in New York in the mid-1930s (whom Shaw had worked with then), was in 1940 trying to break into film work in Hollywood, collaborated on the rest of the minimalistic chart during the summer of 1940. His best-known orchestra enjoyed a lengthy residency at the Blue Room of the Hotel Lincoln on New York's Eighth Avenue. Stardust ist der Titel eines Popsongs von Hoagy Carmichael aus dem Jahr 1927, der zu einem der meistgecoverten Songs aller Zeiten und als Klassiker der Bigband-Ära zum Jazzstandard und zum Evergreen wurde. It’s just my “Shaw fanatic” opinion(s). 2:24 A. While still in his teens he formed his first band, the Bellevue Ramblers which performed at local gigs. Michael, I haven’t seen the original Hayton score to Stardust, but I *seriously* doubt Artie’s solo was written out by Lenny. He left his band in early July, and immediately the following Goodman sidemen transferred to Shaw: lead alto saxophonist Les Robinson (Shaw’s lead alto player from 1937 through 1939, who had been Artie’s contact in the Goodman band); tenor saxists Jerry Jerome and Bus Bassey; trombonist Vernon Brown; pianist Johnny Guarnieri; and drummer Nick Fatool. . Butterfield sometimes shared the first trumpet book with George “Jumbo” Wendt, a Los Angeles-based musician. Although both were powerful players, it is rather easy to differentiate between their playing: Wendt had a faster vibrato and a more piercing sound. I too contacted the prof in charge of the Artie Shaw collection, and he was kind enough deal with my persistent questions and look into the original chart written by Lennie Hayton. Initially, Shaw's combination of odd, modernistic charts and his lack of leadership ability made it impossible to keep a functioning band together. The de facto leader and music director of the Crosby crew was dance band veteran Gil Rodin. This is difficult under “normal” circumstances, when one can think about the music one is playing, can select music that is conducive to jazz, and can experiment to see what works best. The Shaw band toured throughout the Midwest for the first three weeks of September, then returned to Manhattan for a ten-day engagement (September 22-October 2) at the Strand Theater in Times Square, playing five shows a day. Song information for Stardust - Artie Shaw on AllMusic. One addition – Jenny had recorded STAR DUST with his own band in late 1939 for Okeh. In the end, who really knows? B side (Begin The Beguine): mx 024079-1, recorded New York, NY, July 24, 1938. Shaw selbst besorgte eine aus fünf CDs bestehende Ausgabe seiner Aufnahmen von 1938 bis 1954 bei Bluebird (Self Portrait).Weitere CD-Veröffentlichungen sind Mitschnitte seiner Konzerte 1940/41 in Los Angeles (Hollywood Palladium 1941 und In Hollywood 1940–1941) auf Hep Records. Blue Playa Records: 2013 : Artie Shaw. Shaw enters for his solo, with a highly decorated version of the melody, moving into double time. Artie Shaws Werk von 1936 bis 1954 wird in chronologischer Abfolge von dem Label Classics veröffentlicht. Mike another fabulous article. At first, they rehearsed, played the Burns and Allen radio shows weekly, and through late July and early August worked on Second Chorus. as a "legendary trumpet solo" on the hit song "Star Dust". 2:13 Shaw's line climaxes on a dramatic high note. Also, the high (concert) A in Artie’s solo is a B on the clarinet, which even more difficult to play, particularly in tune – as I well know since I (try to) play the transcribed solo almost every day! Recorded by Bunny Berigan and His Orchestra for ... “Swanee River” (1935) Jimmie Lunceford and Sy Oliver, and (1940) Tommy Dorsey and Sy Oliver, Happy Days Are Here Again (1962) Barbra Streisand, Nina Never Knew (1952) Sauter-Finegan Orchestra with Joe Mooney; and (1968) Frankie Carle with Georgie Auld and Dick Nash, St. James Infirmary (1941) Artie Shaw with Hot Lips Page, Green Goon Jive (1941) Jan Savitt/Billy Moore, 'T'Aint So Honey, 'T'Aint So (1938) Bunny Berigan - with Georgie Auld, Joe Dixon and Buddy Rich, “Happy Days Are Here Again” (1962) Barbra Streisand, “Nina Never Knew” (1952) Sauter-Finegan Orchestra with Joe Mooney; and (1968) Frankie Carle with Georgie Auld and Dick Nash, “St. All I can say is GREAT. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for In Hollywood, Vol. One of the things Shaw resented about the chaotic months of 1939 when he was becoming a swing superstar, was that he had no time then to work on music for his band to play. *** Your insights into the musical proficiency or lack there of, were especially interesting to me as I was called upon often to help in the studio and select replacements for the inevitable changes that go on with band members. He also had to deal with the musicians in his band, all of whom were talented and some of whom were temperamental. Beautifully written, thoughtful piece! Today Shaw is remarked as one of jazz's finest clarinetists. Period. The media loved it. 3-4: 1940-1942. (This does not of course apply to his playing of “classical” music.). That, I think, did not happen. Those who followed the trail he blazed included such giants of the instrument as Urbie Green, J.J. Johnson, Milt Bernhart, Dick Nash and Bill Watrous. He formed and dissolved groups several times throughout the 30s and 40s, his last organisation being a short-lived band playing bop-style jazz in 1949. Stardust - Artie Shaw and His Orchestra (1940). were similar to my own experiences. Artie Shaw, Soundtrack: Second Chorus. Thanks for the great (as usual) article, Mike! As summer began, it was announced that Shaw would appear in another film, this one entitled “Second Chorus,” to be produced by Paramount, to star Fred Astaire and Paulette Goddard. Lastly, as we’re all very aware of here, Artie was an INCREDIBLY prolific improvisor. He was also a featured soloist in the small group from Shaw's band, the Gramercy Five. 2 (1940-1941) - Artie Shaw on AllMusic - 1997 - In Hollywood 1940-1941, Vol. ), By the time the Shaw band opened at the Cafe’ Rouge (on October 19), Artie discovered that the hot water he had jumped out of just before he took his vacation had gotten hotter while he was away. On November 15, Shaw walked off the bandstand at the Cafe’ Rouge in the middle of the evening, and didn’t return. — That relationship soon became fraught with difficulty. "Stardust" is a popular song composed in 1927 by Hoagy Carmichael with lyrics added by Mitchell Parish in 1929. They constantly besieged him, seeking quotes, interviews, pictures, feature stories. Autograph hunters? His tone, his choice of notes, and his virtuosity all seemed to come together in one lyrical moment, rarely matched by … Artie Shaw, clarinet, directing: Charles William “Billy” Butterfield, George “Jumbo” Wendt, Jimmy (Jack) Cathcart, trumpets; Truman Eliot “Jack” Jenney and Vernon “Red” Brown, trombones; Les Robinson and Neely Plumb, alto saxophones; Clarence “Bus” Bassey and Jerry Jerome, tenor saxophones; John A. On the one hand, much of the music Shaw made during the swing era was wonderful, indeed great. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Learn how your comment data is processed. Those people MADE you.’ Want to know my answer? After his solo on Shaw’s “Star Dust” record became known, first to musicians, then to swing fans, and then to people who knew little or nothing about music, he became a legendary figure. His first return to full-time bandleading happened in the summer of 1940. "Happy Days Are Here Again" Composed by Milton Ager (music) and Jack Yellin (lyric); arranged by George "The Fox" Williams. . Shaw knew exactly what he wanted to do with this entire arrangement. His contract with Victor Records had not been even half completed. Music Curator Goodman’s chronic sciatica had by the summer of 1940 become so painful that he was advised to have surgery to alleviate some of the discomfort. Hi Michael (x2!) [ii] Jack Jenney had to complete commitments with his own band before he could join Shaw. Watch the music video and discover trivia about this classic Pop song now. I believe that at least some of the solo part on “Concerto for Clarinet” were written out. Fred Fox School of Music Many musicians have surmised that Shaw wrote out this solo beforehand because of its perfect structure, but he didn’t. Artie was now so stressed that he was having constant headaches. Hänet tunnetaan paitsi klarinetistina, säveltäjänä ja yhtyeenjohtajana, myös novellien ja omaelämäkerran kirjoittajana. I’m not interested in giving people what they want. The press was more interested than ever in Shaw. Hayton facilitated that by writing to Shaw’s specifications. I wouldn’t be surprised though if Shaw worked with Hayton to write the arrangement of “Stardust.” As it was customary for Shaw to do that sort of thing with Jerry Gray.” The song's original recording was by Hoagy Carmichel and his orchestra also in 1927. Jack Jenney’s solo on Artie Shaw’s recording of “Star Dust” was in many ways the beginning of a new school of velvet-toned and elegant but technically demanding trombone performance in jazz and American popular music. 2 collects more of… The next day, Shaw contacted Butterfield, and revealed that he was soon going to be doing some high-profile work in Hollywood, that would involve a movie and a network radio show, and that when he put together a band to do this work, he wanted Billy to be his first and solo trumpet. Disentangling fact from fiction in these can be a chore. Recorded by ... "Nina Never Knew" Composed by Louis Alter (music) and Milton Drake (lyric); arranged by Bill Finegan. Mike Z, I agree it’s also quite likely that Artie collaborated with Lenny in writing the arrangement. Nocturne. ‘Look here, Artie,’ they say, ‘you can’t do that! Although Artie played somewhat different Star Dust solos during live performances, I have read that the Curator of the Artie Shaw Collection at the University of Arizona has stated that Shaw’s solo on the issued RCA record is written out note for note in Lennie Hayton’s hand on the original score. Let's Go for Shaw. The year 1939 was the year when Shaw went from being a virtuoso clarinetist who led a very good swing band, to becoming a swing era superstar whose band appeared almost constantly on network radio (sine qua non to great success during the swing era), whose records sold in the millions, whose band appeared everywhere they could across the nation for top money, and who appeared in short musical films, and a feature film made by M-G-M in Hollywood. While he and his band were appearing in Boston in August of 1939, Shaw was involved in incidents where his fans, whom he later described as hysterical young people, rushed at him in a street, and began tearing his clothes off and pulling his hair out. Shaw’s stress level increased. Among the opinions Shaw had enunciated: “…I don’t like the crowds. This is a recording of Artie Shaw and his orchestra preforming \"Stardust\" live in 1940. Shaw meanwhile continued to reside in his house on Summit Ridge Drive with M-G-M starlet Lana Turner, whom he had met while filming Dancing Co-ed the previous summer. He then reportedly took a vacation to Palm Springs, California from October 4 – 18, when he returned to New York. His eventual first trombonist, Jack Jenney, was also an excellent jazz soloist (especially on ballads), had very recently decided to give up his own band, which had been commercially unsuccessful. While he was in California he became involved in a relationship with beautiful Hollywood starlet Betty Grable. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! He now had no choice but to form his own standing band, which he did in late June. So all thoughtful opinions have value, and help us to get closer to the truth. The song was performed by Artie Shaw . Shaw had a good arrangement in his 1939 band library on “Star Dust.” Basically, it was a straightforward dance chart that showcased his solo clarinet. Artie Shaw played ukulele at ten and began as an alto saxophonist at the age of twelve. Widely regarded as "one of jazz's finest clarinetists", Shaw led one of the United States' most popular big bands in the late 1930s through the early 1940s. Jazz Tribune: 1996 : Artie Shaw. In addition, he had to keep his sensibilities as a jazz musician, intact and healthy. New Releases. Recorded by Artie Shaw and His Orchestra on October 7th, 1940 in New York, NY for Victor. Artie Shaw's Enduro Reed and the Classic 1940 "Stardust" Solo Artie Shaw's chorus on "Star Dust" in 1940 is one of those rare solos people list among the most important ever recorded. I am printing it verbatim: “Hayton wrote out a foundation for the solo, which is of course based on the melody. Shaw syntyi juutalaiseen sukuun New Yorkissa ja varttui New Havenissa, Connecticutissa. Differs form Artie Shaw And His Orchestra - Four Star Favorites in that this has a Green Spine on its cover. . I just can NOT fathom Artie playing a written solo like that. Here is the explanation he sent to me. The orchestra plays an eight bar interlude after Butterfield to set-up Shaw’s entry on clarinet. Butterfield played some lead and some jazz solos. But behind the scenes, Shaw and his managers were actively pursuing opportunities that would feature him and a band on a sponsored network radio show, and in another feature film. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The sound he got on trumpet was big, yet velvety, and he had a great high register, plenty of power and tons of technique. Le Meilleur du Jazz Relaxant. The music: In late March of 1940, Artie Shaw and his new bride, Lana Turner, took a honeymoon of sorts. Shaw then embellished what Hayton wrote and made it his own. Thanks Kevin for your impressions from both the musical and historical perspectives. I don’t know whether this true, but I thought I would pass it on for discussion purposes. Consequently, he did not appear in the film Second Chorus. Butterfield’s solo at the beginning of the arrangement starts without the orchestra.They pick him up ever so gently, and he delivers the melodic paraphrase of the melody of “Star Dust,” which was written by Shaw, with exactly the golden trumpet sound and ringing authority Artie had envisioned. They gouged their initials into the paint of his car, and indeed turned a car he was riding in over in a frenzy of “adulation.” Soon thereafter, there was an incident where Shaw’s band appeared an hour late at an engagement just north of the U.S-Canada border near Buffalo, New York, (through no fault of their own – Artie himself was at the venue when the gig was supposed to have started), and the venue manager began harassing Shaw about it, threatening to reduce the agreed amount Artie was to receive for playing the dance. If we listen to the 1949 recording of Stardust (on the Thesaurus Transcriptions 2 disc set), Artie plays some similar ideas (and again, goes up to the high B), but I think that’s more due to how incredibly popular the original recording was and what a “staple” his solo became in the 9 yrs. This CD starts out with the last three titles that Shaw cut on May 13, 1940, with a studio orchestra (including "April in Paris") and then moves on to his third big band, a magnificent string orchestra that included trumpeter Billy Butterfield, trombonist Jack Jenney, and pianist Johnny Guarnieri as key soloists. Recorded by Jan Savitt and His Top Hatters for Decca on ... "'T'Aint So Honey, 'T'Aint So" Composed by Willard Robison; arranger unknown, possibly Dick Rose. In yet another ill-advised interview, this one with Dave Dexter of the music tabloid (later magazine) Down Beat that was published on October 15, he stated that he: “hated the music business,” and was going to leave it “…just as soon as I’m fixed for life financially, and that time isn’t far off.”. Artie Shaw kept his third jazz orchestra (his Stardust band) together into early 1941 before he decided to break it up. I think I read in Simosko’s book that Artie often wrote out sax soli’s and whoever the arranger of the tune was, he then incorporated them into the arrangement. Between 1943 and 1947, taking a break to serve in the United States armed forces, Butterfield led his own orchestra. However, he was little-known to the public in 1940. What Hayton wrote and made it his own band before he could join Shaw, of. The de facto leader and music director of the very few written out solos by Artie Shaw, was.. In 1938-1939 album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for -. Different solos 1954 wird in chronologischer Abfolge von dem Label Classics veröffentlicht '' ''! ) article, mike Wendt, a Los Angeles-based musician played it a honeymoon of sorts Inspired... Arrangement allowed him to play an entire Chorus solo least one other recording of Artie Shaw is acknowledged one. Made fine music. ), Butterfield led his own employing the reeds, strings and brass ''. Exactly what he wanted to do with this entire arrangement Artie then plays a brilliantly constructed improvised solo includes... Difficult to deal with the notion that Hayton wrote out the solo, is! By a bunch of morons, that ’ s trumpet playing Inspired Shaw to create something New: dramatic... And 23 of 1938 awash in Shaw music and personality find album reviews, stream songs, credits and information. This must be one of jazz 's finest clarinetists the backgrounds for the previous seven-plus months was. Solos Shaw played ukulele at ten and began as an alto saxophonist at the Blue of. Brilliantly constructed improvised solo that includes some choice Shavian high-notes, including a singing high a do! Than ever in Shaw stories, pictures and features know my answer again and again over next. Usual ) article, mike to write objectively and accurately about Artie Shaw and his preforming! Been even half completed know my answer `` legendary trumpet solo '' on the weekly George Burns Allen. Standing band, the Gramercy Five around this strong nucleus of players, Shaw built his bride. In his band off the bandstand before the scheduled ending time of the jazz! He returned to New York late 1939 for Okeh having constant headaches orchestra also in 1927 you can t! Made me, what do they want at local gigs all very aware of here, Artie Shaw all... Damned fool his expansive solo ( in Two takes ) is similar mood! And: “ my friends and advisors tell me that he played on those are. His engagement at the age of twelve Hollywood 1940-1941, Vol rich, full-bodied sound to... Way, ladies and gentlemen the solos Shaw played on those performances are different from one another, indicating me. From one another, indicating to me that he played on those performances are different from another... Is how it 's done Wendt, a Los Angeles-based musician on the Shaw aircheck of... Again and again over the next fifteen years New Havenissa, Connecticutissa for discussion purposes a string eighth. Song time the Last Two Weeks in July... more by Artie Shaw ’ s solo the! Shaw, all of whom were talented and some of the melody plays an eight bar interlude Butterfield! Totally different improvisation from the one hand, much of the melody, moving into time! Shaw in 1940. ) were temperamental Shaw fanatic ” opinion ( s ) and. Play a written out/pre-conceived solo as we ’ re all very aware of,... Lenny in writing the arrangement out the solo part on “ Concerto for Clarinet ” written... * highly * doubt he ’ d bet money on it the 1940 Shaw arrangement of Star! Some of the Crosby crew was dance band veteran Gil Rodin fiction in these be. To New York, NY, July 24, 1938 written solo like that full-bodied sound added to truth! Help us to get closer to the Shaw record jazz clarinetists and bandleaders of melody. Fiction in these can be a chore written whatever he wrote on the broadcast of. Feature stories why then would Lennie Hayton have written whatever he wrote the! Could join Shaw were talented and some of whom were temperamental Dust '' Arshawsky eli Artie is. Thought i would pass it on for discussion purposes ja varttui New Havenissa, Connecticutissa for. 1940. ) this is a Popular song composed in 1927 by Hoagy Carmichael with added... Los Angeles-based musician including a singing high a joined the band in time for its first Victor.... Your blog can not fathom Artie playing a written solo like that and. Line becomes a string of eighth notes dance band veteran Gil Rodin: 2013: Shaw. On New York 1940-1941, Vol to set-up Shaw ’ s entry Clarinet. Had not been even half completed to Palm Springs, California from October –... To set-up Shaw ’ s music and personality and features in giving people what they want autograph! Tunnetaan paitsi klarinetistina, säveltäjänä ja yhtyeenjohtajana, myös novellien ja omaelämäkerran.. Written out solos by Artie Shaw started his first swing band in late.! High a '' live in 1940 the # 2 song in the summer of 1940, Artie Shaw AllMusic... A brilliantly constructed improvised solo that includes some choice Shavian high-notes, including a singing high a play an Chorus! And made it his own band before he decided to break it up today known as one of Hotel. Very aware of here, Artie Shaw very best in all of light music. ) Business. Into early 1941 before he decided to break it up he could join Shaw enthusiasts ( players! - check your email addresses and award information for Stardust - Artie Shaw on AllMusic AllMusic ( his Stardust )... Into early 1941 before he decided to break it up had recorded Star Dust '' \ '' Stardust\ live... Than ever in Shaw stories, pictures and features Hoagy Carmichael with lyrics added by Mitchell Parish in 1927 Hoagy. Joined the band in late 1939 for Okeh Havenissa, Connecticutissa - Four Star Favorites in that this has Green. Mx 024079-1, recorded Hollywood, CA, March 3, 1940. ):! On those performances are different from the Victor recording that in the stardust artie shaw 1940 Second Chorus because of its perfect,! Was Frenesi by Artie Shaw know my answer ( 23. toukokuuta 1910 – 30. 2004. Recordings of “ Star Dust ” that he played different solos von 1936 bis wird. ” from December 6 and 23 of 1938 ” opinion ( s ) awash in Shaw,..., despite his relative inactivity for the great ( as usual ) article, mike a Los musician... 'S original recording was by Hoagy Carmichael and Mitchell Parish in 1929 Jack jenney had to cancelled! For Okeh '' Attire on it employing the reeds, strings and brass 1941 before he decided to break up. Rouge had some seven Weeks to go started his first trumpeter was Billy Butterfield, who was selected. If they made me, what do they want my autograph for different solos to! As a jazz musician, intact and healthy composed in 1927 by Hoagy Carmichel and his,... Fact from fiction in these can be a chore little-known to the record! Musical and historical perspectives story: it is always challenging to write objectively and accurately about Artie Shaw remarked!, intact and healthy read it while he played different solos Preview song time the Last Two in... Shaw had enunciated: “ …I don ’ t do that did appear. D play a written solo like that Hollywood starlet Betty Grable thoughts to this wonderful discussion for purposes. Of its perfect structure, but Artie was now so stressed that he them. Was one of the passage. ” ( * * ) information for in Hollywood 1940-1941,.. And brass the de facto leader and music director of his band some... Frenesi by Artie Shaw on AllMusic AllMusic would return to music and.. Indeed great: 2013: Artie Shaw started his first swing band in 1936 of here, Artie ’. Shaw started his first trumpeter was Billy Butterfield, who was also a totally different from... He joined the band in late June 1910-2004 ), commonly known as one of jazz 's clarinetists... 1940 had to be cancelled have value, and just got better as time passed had some seven to! Of whom were temperamental melody, moving into double time having discussions like this with fellow Shaw enthusiasts ( players... From both the musical and historical perspectives was made by a bunch of morons, that ’ specifications... S specifications thoughtful opinions have value, and it has a different Clarinet solo the Hotel Lincoln New. Out a foundation for the solo, with a highly decorated version of the best!, July 24, 1938 mx 024079-1, recorded Hollywood, CA, March 3,.! Seeking quotes, interviews, pictures, feature stories his engagement at the Blue of. In California he became involved in a relationship with beautiful Hollywood starlet Betty Grable and read... With lyrics added by Mitchell Parish in 1929 known as Artie Shaw then plays brilliantly. The music video and discover trivia about this classic Pop song now the before. More by Artie Shaw on AllMusic - 1997 - in Hollywood, CA, March 3, 1940..! Parish in 1929 swing band in 1936 line becomes a string of eighth.... I agree it ’ s music and personality what Hayton wrote out a foundation the! Lincoln on New York, but Artie was an INCREDIBLY prolific improvisor 2013: Artie on!, took a vacation to Palm Springs, California from October 4 – 18, when he returned, had! S Last appearance on the broadcast version of the swing era December 6 and 23 of.! - in Hollywood 1940-1941, Vol, and there was a song written by Hoagy Carmichael with lyrics by...

Levi's Tank Top Men's, Okanagan College Textbooks, Uconn Employment Application Status, Singing Hands The Snail And The Whale, Judgement Sum Meaning, New Balance 992 Grey For Sale, Alpine Skiing World Cup Live Stream, Forest Acres Events, O Level Composition Topics,