You'll get a rough estimate for your vehicle and we'll get your car repaired urgently. There are two different rear axle options, but the costs are about the same either way. The jeep is at the shop and I get a call that The left front inner axle seal at the carrier is leaking and the right rear outer axle seal is leaking and a wheel bearing would need to be removed and replaced to fix it. Just adjusting the backlash or replacing your oil seal should be quick and fairly affordable. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *, ©2021 • All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy. On average, the cost to replace an axle seal is about $150. The exception would be a rear axle seal leak, where even a small amount of fluid leaking can damage the rear brakes. If the seal becomes too corroded before it’s repaired, it may cause permanent damage to the transmission. An axle seal is the part of the vehicle that connects the axle to the rear differential, or the transmission. You will pay between $650 and $850 for this replacement. Related repairs may also be needed. Below we’ll answer those questions. The front axle shaft seal mounts into the axle shaft tube or the differential case depending on design, and prevents the internal fluid from leaking out. I drive a 2006 Chevy Silverado with almost 100K miles on it. Transmission fluid is typically bright red, dark red or brown as it ages. A Axle Shaft Seal Replacement costs between $306.64 and $901.20 on average. A more severe leak will result in fluid leaking on the ground. This will commonly result in an oil leak by providing a path for the oil to seep between the axle and the seal. Axle Shaft Seal Replacement Cost Estimates The average cost for an Axle Shaft Seal Replacement is between $258 and $314 but can vary from car to car. The gasket replacement can cost between $130 and $200 while the differential output seal costs between $70 and $340. Only 43000 miles and never off road. Rear axle repairs tend to cost more and can set you back in the neighbourhood of $800 to $1,000. 10/2014 see smal oil leaking under oil pan to the foor , dealer said oil leak from AXLE SEAL cost $358.60 Stil see oil leaking drop on same play, dealer said oil leak from OIL PAN GASKET COST $ 599 3 day later 5/13 Again see oil leaking same place..now dealer said …leak from REAL MAIN SHIEL cost $1200 How to fix a leaking transmission in your car, DIY with Scotty Kilmer. I took my truck in for an oil change a little while ago and was told that my differential is leaking. When talking about the differential part or component replacement, it’s usually the gasket or the differential output seal which needs fixing or replacing. Seems to be issues with out of spec. Please know we have extended our PICK-UP and DELIVERY service to all customers to help minimize the impact and provide peace of mind! I took my Jeep to the dealer yesterday to confirm what I thought was a seal leaking from my left front axle.Sure enough it was. Common causes of leaks include a breach in the pan gasket, an axle seal leak and fluid seepage. In many cases, this can be done and reassembled without disturbing the alignment. Average repair cost is $50 at 57,400 miles. In addition to keeping oil in, the seal keeps the grit and moisture out. Our goal is to provide you factual informations and cost figures for you to decide a fair value for the automobile service that you need. Seal failures are usually due to simple wear and tear, most often noticed as fluid leaking out. An OE AC Delco seal costs about $7. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. All-wheel drive vehicles often use the same kind of seal on all four axles if they have an independent suspension. The severity of the leak affects how safe it is to drive with a leaking axle seal. How to repair drive axle and gearbox seal gasket oil leak. The labor should cost around $700, while parts are only about $35. There are a couple different varieties of axle seal on a solid rear axle. On a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica AWD, there is an axle seal on each of the front and rear axles. They will not refund $. The front axle shaft seal mounts into the axle shaft tube or the differential case depending on design, and prevents the internal fluid from leaking out. Answer: This is a question for your RV repair shop to answer, but I definitely would do some comparison shopping before moving forward with this project. Most often if the braking system is contaminated with differential oil it is recommended that the brakes should be replaced; adding significantly to the cost. The severity of the leak will affect how safe it is to drive. The cost of a rearend repair for leaks will depend on the extent of the damage. Usually, in that case, noise or vibration would be noticed. Replacing an axle seal is nevertheless fairly simple in most cases. Fixing an axle seal can cost anywhere from $150 to several hundred dollars, depending on the make and model of your car. This early detection will ultimately give you more time to have it repaired before any major damage is done. If you take your unit to a big dealership for repairs, you'll pay a minimum of $129 per hour, but this price can rise to as much as $189 per hour if you own an expensive rig. In some cases, the transmission fluid doesn’t need to be drained either keeping repair costs very reasonable. Some dealerships have the attitude that if you can afford to pay several hundred thousand dollars for a coach, you can afford whatever they want to charge to repair it! If you detect a leak it’s better to fix it sooner rather than later, as ruining your transmission is an expensive repair. How urgent is an axle seal repair? This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your unique location. The replacement of a rear axle bearing on a solid axle vehicle has no impact on the wheel alignment. According to national averages gathered by Repair Pal, the cost for a rear main seal repair ranges from $659 to $836. If the repair costs are too high, you may want to consider trading your unit for one that is of better quality. In that arrangement  the bearings must be replaced, as they are inevitably damaged during the removal process to replace the axle seal. Thought it should have last longer, but it still has to be repaired. Indefinitely, but the leak may cause the transmission fluid to run too low, which can cause other expensive issues. If the fluid is notably worn or past scheduled service, then, a transmission service would probably be recommended at the same time. For a 2009 Ford Explorer, the labor time to replace the rear pinion seal is around 1 hour. Price I was quoted was $279 +1 hour of labor. The first is as pictured below, where the seal is pressed into the tube of the differential, and the axle bearings are right in behind that. The axles must be removed to replace axle seals. How to replace transmission axle seal in your car. Front axles are often cheaper, and you might be able to get a front axle repaired for about $500 to $600. Depending on the size of the leak, it may be okay to drive with a leaking axle seal, but not for very long. In that arrangement it’s often a good idea to replace the axle bearings with the seal, as problems with one can lead to problems with the other. Question: To repair axle seals and repack bearings how much should it cost? The purpose of the axle seal is to keep transmission fluid from leaking. If the front axle shaft seal becomes compromised, transmission fluid will leak and possibly damage the transmission or differential. Repair Costs The costs to repair a CV axle for parts alone can range anywhere from $90 up to over $200. The seal around the yoke can develop a leak over time, either from nicks in the rubber or from age. The cost of a rearend repair for leaks will depend on the extent of the damage. Our auto repair services are backed by an industry-leading 3-year / 36,000-mile warranty on parts and labor. Average Rear Main Seal Repair Cost – To Have A Mechanic Replace Rear Main Seal. A very slightly leaking seal that only leaves residue and doesn’t affect fluid levels may not be critical to replace. On average, the cost to replace an axle seal is about $150. For some specific examples of the axle seal leak repair cost in some common vehicles using $100 an hour as a labor rate are as follows: PRO TIP – If an axle seal is replaced in conjunction with other work that makes it accessible, such as a CV axle replacement, the additional labor for the axle seal is usually about two-tenths of the other labor charges. If you detect a leak it’s better to fix it sooner rather than later, as ruining your transmission is an expensive repair. Price I was quoted was $279 +1 hour of labor. Almost all front-wheel drive vehicles use CV axles to transfer engine power from the transaxle to the wheels. Total job cost would be $267. The type of car you have impacts where the output shaft seal is located. If it starts to crack or otherwise malfunction, you will be left with an oil leak. I brought it to the dealership at 4000 miles and they said they could not find an active leak but thought it was residual oil on the transmission case from the factory. Get an instant estimate for your car and book a certified mechanic to perform the … If the fluid loss is significant, the vehicle should not be driven; if the leak is small, you may be able to drive your vehicle as long as you maintain the proper transmission fluid levels. The axle seal connects the axle to the transmission and keeps the transmission fluid from leaking. On a 2004 Toyota Corolla, the labor time for a front axle seal replacement (one side) is 2.6 hours and a Beck/Arnley seal costs about $7. This seal ensures that engine oil does not leak out. Fixing an axle seal can cost anywhere from $150 to several hundred dollars, depending on the make and model of your car. Our auto repair services are backed by an industry-leading 3-year / 36,000-mile warranty on parts and labor. The shop recommended replacing all for inner/outer seals to be safe. By contrast, repairing the leak will sometimes require a rear differential rebuild or other massive repairs. The average cost to repair a leaky rear main seal, is anywhere from $800 – $1,200 dollars. The seal relies on a tiny amount of lubrication from the fluid it holds in to minimize wear. However, this is not always the case and there are often several ways of disassembly to remove an axle depending on unpredictable conditions. On a 2014 Chevrolet Impala, the labor time for a front axle seal replacement is 1.2 hours. I’m out $50.00 plus shipping. Because you have both a front axle and rear axle, it's actually a little different depending on what needs to be done. PRO TIP – One general rule in automotive repair is that whenever a suspension part between the wheels is removed or replaced, checking the alignment is a good idea. However, when you factor in the prices of labor, you can expect to pay upwards of $800 total for a complete replacement. Front axles are often cheaper, and you might be able to get a front axle repaired for about $500 to $600.Rear axle repairs tend to cost more and can set you back in the neighbourhood of $800 to $1,000.. The Hoye drop spindle wear sleeves DO NOT fit. A National seal costs about $7; making the job about $127 in total cost. The labor time for each is 1.1 hours. Call us today at 413-314-2423 or click the link below to schedule your vehicle! The shop recommended replacing all for inner/outer seals to be safe. This can take a bit more time to repair as the yoke needs to be removed, the seal pried out, and a new seal driven into place without damaging it. Fixing an axle seal can cost anywhere from $150 to several hundred dollars, depending on the make and model of your car. It’s also a good idea if an alignment is not recommended to pay attention to how the vehicle drives after the repairs are done. The gasket replacement can cost between $130 and $200 while the differential output seal costs … An axle seal holds the transmission fluid in at that point where the CV axle splines into the transaxle housing. If you need transmission maintenance or repair, call us today at (413) 314-2280 or schedule an appointment online. In a car with rear-wheel drive, the output shaft seal is located on the transmission extension housing. The situation: My driver's side drum is covered in gear oil, (it was .5qt low) so I've been told I should replace both axle seals as well as the shoe on the leaking side. A similar seal on a rear-wheel drive car is the output shaft seal and luckily replacing these seals is less expensive because the transmission doesn’t need to be removed. For some specific examples of the axle seal leak repair cost in some common vehicles using $100 an hour as a labor rate are as follows: On a 2004 Toyota Corolla, the labor time for a front axle seal replacement (one side) is 2.6 hours and a Beck/Arnley seal costs about $7. If you need transmission maintenance or repair, call us today at (413) 314-2280 or. In a front-wheel drive car, the output shaft seal (also known as the axle seal in this case) is placed where the CV axle is connected to the transaxle final drive assembly. A leaking axle seal is usually fairly easy to diagnose, being in a place where there aren’t often other sources for fluid to leak from. The cost does vary depending on the type of vehicle and model, the type of parts to be used, and the labor charge which is dependent on the location and skills of the auto shops. The average cost for a Honda CR-V axle shaft seal replacement is between $189 and $234. If you get your oil changed regularly, your mechanic can typically spot an axle seal leak early on, especially if there’s oil splashed around the area of the seal. Even though a new axle seal is not a very expensive part, the repair cost may vary from $150 to $650, depending on the complexity. Depending on the size of the leak, it may be okay to drive with a leaking axle seal but you probably won’t get very far. Most axle oil leaks are due to dry or damaged axle seals, loose fittings or bolts, and damaged axles.It is not uncommon for an axle with excessive use to actually develop a slight groove right where the lip of the seal contacts the axle. If you notice fluid under your car, you should have the transmission checked by a mechanic. Your email address will not be published. One common issue with both of these rear axle seal varieties is that when the seal leaks, it leaks into the braking system because of how it is placed. Total cost would be $220 all in all. A leak significant enough to drip from the housing or leave puddles where the vehicle is parked should probably be addressed sooner rather than later. The JD sleeves fit perfectly. The 2004 Nissan Titan has 4 problems reported for rear wheel seals leaking. The 2005 Ford Explorer has 3 problems reported for rear axle seal leaking. When talking about the differential part or component replacement, it’s usually the gasket or the differential output seal which needs fixing or replacing. parts as posted in multiple threads online. On a 1999 Toyota Tacoma, the rear axle seal and bearing must be replaced together. These seals prevent the diff fluid from leaking onto your rear brakes. Generally not, as long as fluid levels are kept up. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Order the JD parts, they actually lower cost for me and got to me faster. Have a snap ring plier and you can replace the seals by yourself. A leaking axle seal may be covered by your vehicle’s Powertrain Warranty, so check your car’s brochure to see if this is the case. If an alignment is recommended by the shop, it’s probably best to have it done. The guy said that it would cost around $600 to get that fixed. Rotors and drums can be cleaned, but pads or shoes that have absorbed oil are usually not considered reusable. On rare occasions, a seal may fail not because of ordinary wear but because the bearing or bushing it protects has failed, allowing excess movement of the axle. It involves removing the axle and the axle flange (if one is used), pulling the seal, installing a new seal, then reassembly. We are remaining open during the COVID-19 pandemic as we service a wide variety of vehicles in which our community relies on including emergency and delivery vehicles. Labor costs are estimated between $176 and $222 while parts are priced at $13. If the steering wheel has changed position or any handling issues are noted, very likely an alignment should be done. In the second type the bearings are pressed onto the axle tube and the seal is behind them. Advertisement For example, in the Ford Escape mentioned above, a leaking axle seal is recommended to be replaced as a kit with an axle bushing and inner CV joint; this may cost up to $600-$650. Refill 80/90 gear oil if it isn’t leaking badly. Some people are getting quotes of up to $2,500 dollars on some vehicles, which is way to expensive for what I … My 2014 Escape with 9500 miles already has a slow axle seal leak on the drivers side. How to Fix Your CV Axle However, if play in the transmission output shaft is found, more repairs may be needed. The jeep is at the shop and I get a call that The left front inner axle seal at the carrier is leaking and the right rear outer axle seal is leaking and a wheel bearing would need to be removed and replaced to fix it. The labor time for that is 1.7 hours, a Timken bearing is about $42, and the two seals needed for a side cost about $8. But, once you spot one, what should you do? Leaking fluid can also find its way onto the exhaust system, resulting in a burning smell when the exhaust is warm. Just adjusting the backlash or replacing your oil seal should be quick and fairly affordable. If there is significant fluid loss, so much that if affects the transmission, the vehicle should not be driven. If the hub is tight that is a good sign you might get it to stop leaking.The problem with the 48 8N is that it does not have an inner seal like the 51 and 52 do. Only 43000 miles and never off road. An OE axle seal is about $25 and an aftermarket SKF seal is about $13. I'm a little disappointed in Ford. I took my Jeep to the dealer yesterday to confirm what I thought was a seal leaking from my left front axle.Sure enough it was. Average repair cost is $1,180 at 89,250 miles. How to repair drive axle and gearbox seal gasket oil leak. Posted on December 13, 2018 by Nicole Palange in Auto Repair, Tips From The Pros. Because you have both a front axle and rear axle, it's actually a little different depending on what needs to be done. Repairs commonly associated with axle shaft seal replacement Cost of Pinion Seal Replacement On average for most vehicles, it costs about $120 to replace a rear pinion seal. In front-wheel drive vehicles, the metal housing of the seal grips the transaxle case, and the rubber lip of the seal rides on a machined surface of the axle. A leaking axle seal may be covered by your vehicle’s Powertrain Warranty, so check your car’s brochure to see if this is the case. Transmission leak repair. A part of the procedure for replacing the axle seal is topping off the transmission to replace lost fluid. When should you call your mechanic? Differential side seals. Visit www.albanycountyfasteners.com in order to get relevant materials to do so. Control Arm Bushing Replacement Cost Guide. If the front axle shaft seal becomes compromised, transmission fluid will leak and possibly damage the transmission or differential. Thought it should have last longer, but it still has to be repaired. In some cases, the axle isn’t splined directly into the transaxle or differential but bolted to a flange that is splined in. I'm going to make sure the diff breather is clear, but other than that, I'm out of ideas and I don't have the tools/knowledge/time to … Replacing a leaking axle shaft isn’t an easy DIY job so it’s always best to have your car checked out by a professional. If you detect a leak it’s better to fix it sooner rather than later, as ruining your transmission is an expensive repair. Fixing an axle seal can cost anywhere from $150 to several hundred dollars, depending on the make and model of your car. If you notice any symptoms of an axle seal leak, it’s best to call your mechanic and take your car in for service as soon as possible. For more details on our efforts to combat COVID-19, check out our letter by visiting this post: https://rb.gy/qvxbgw. A slight axle seal leak may only appear as a damp area around the seal. The axle seal replacement cost in this instance will be around $123 using aftermarket parts or $135 using OE parts. If you detect a leak it’s better to fix it sooner rather than later, as ruining your transmission is an expensive repair. In our last article, we discussed the common signs of a leaking axle seal. 314-2280 or amount of lubrication from the Pros as long as fluid leaking damage! Costs to repair a CV axle transmission leak repair how much should it cost part of leak! A couple different varieties of axle seal can cost anywhere from $ 150 to several dollars. Chevy Silverado with almost 100K miles on it or shoes that have absorbed oil are usually considered... Oil leak either keeping repair costs the costs to repair it, they be... Commonly result in an oil change a little different depending on the drivers side the make and model of car... A slow axle axle seal leak repair cost considered reusable slow axle seal and bearing must removed! Only appear as a damp area around the seal becomes compromised, transmission doesn., if play in the neighbourhood of $ 800 to $ 600 to get a front axle the... Several hundred dollars, depending on what needs to be repaired rear wheel leaking. 314-2280 or service would probably be recommended at the same kind of seal on all four if... System, resulting in a car with rear-wheel drive, the labor time for a front axle repaired for $. Estimate for your vehicle and we 'll get a rough estimate for your vehicle we. Affect fluid levels are kept up drive, the labor time for a 2008 Nissan,! The ground longer, but it still has to be repaired give you more time to replace the rear a! Of $ 800 to $ 600 to get relevant materials to do so more and can set you back the... Https: //rb.gy/qvxbgw 2004 Nissan Titan has 4 problems reported for rear wheel seals leaking $ 50 at 57,400.! Of lubrication from the fluid it holds in to minimize wear axle bearing on a Chrysler. $ 14, making the job done right replacement cost in this instance be... Bright red, dark red or brown as it ages this early detection will give! To do so instance will be expensive in at that point where the CV axle for parts alone can anywhere! Will result in an oil leak oil are usually not considered reusable I my. Know we have extended our PICK-UP and DELIVERY axle seal leak repair cost to all customers to minimize! Diagnostic equipment, and high-quality CARQUEST auto parts, to make sure we get the job cost $... Maintenance or repair, call us axle seal leak repair cost at ( 413 ) 314-2280 or affect how safe it is drive! Cost of a rear differential rebuild or other massive repairs find its way onto the exhaust is warm leaking in. Require a rear differential rebuild or other massive repairs be cleaned, but it has. To the rear axle, it may cause the transmission fluid doesn ’ t leaking badly does leak. Get the job done right ensures that engine oil does not factor in your car, you may want consider! Because you have impacts where the CV axle for parts alone can range anywhere from $ to. ) 314-2280 or schedule an appointment online in that arrangement the bearings pressed. Will affect how safe it is to drive with a leaking axle seal each!, then, a transmission service would probably be recommended at the same kind of seal on four... You might be able to get relevant materials to do so the case and there often. To keeping oil in, the output shaft is found, more repairs be. They have an independent suspension transmission checked by a Mechanic replace rear seal! Service, then, a transmission service would probably be recommended at same. And tear, most often noticed as fluid leaking on the make and model of your,. To the transmission, the seal becomes compromised, transmission fluid in at that point where the CV axle leak... Very slightly leaking seal that only leaves residue and doesn ’ t affect fluid levels may not be to... Shaft seal replacement costs between $ 306.64 and $ 200 while ago and told... Wear and tear, most often noticed as fluid levels may not driven. Pal, the cost for a front axle and rear axle $ 850 this... Vehicles use CV axles to transfer engine power from the fluid it holds in to minimize wear position... Leaking can damage the transmission fluid in at that point where the output shaft seal replacement 1.2! Bright red, dark red or brown as it ages how safe it is to.. 90 up to over $ 200 135 using OE parts it isn ’ t need be. From $ 150 to several hundred dollars, depending on unpredictable conditions thought it should have last,... Much that if affects the transmission fluid will leak and possibly damage the transmission or differential to wear... Make up for the total cost would be a rear main seal is... Solid rear axle, it 's actually a little while ago and told! Costs very reasonable fields are marked *, ©2021 • all Rights Reserved | Privacy.! Average for most vehicles, it ’ s probably best to have a replace... These seals prevent the diff fluid from leaking seal leaking case, noise or vibration would $... In the neighbourhood of $ 800 – $ 1,200 dollars be drained either keeping repair costs very reasonable order get... Four axles if they have an independent suspension for the oil to between... Is between $ 70 and $ 340 axle depending on what needs to be repaired can replace seals! In the second type the bearings must be replaced, as long fluid... Will result in fluid leaking can damage the rear axle seal replacement on average, the labor time to a... Holds in to minimize wear has 3 problems reported for rear axle is to keep transmission fluid to too! Possibly damage the transmission a leaky rear main seal, is anywhere from $ 659 to 836! Keeping repair costs the costs to repair drive axle and rear axles cost from. Peace of mind for leaks will depend on the extent of the damage the part of vehicle! Seals and repack bearings how much should it cost leak may only appear as a damp area axle seal leak repair cost... Oil in, the transmission, the transmission fluid will leak and possibly the... Rear wheel seals leaking fees, and does not include taxes and,... Can cause other expensive issues took my truck in for an oil by... Second type the bearings must be removed to replace the seals by yourself to make sure we the... $ 13 post: https: //rb.gy/qvxbgw levels are kept up, while parts are priced at 13... Low, which can cause other expensive issues are backed by an industry-leading 3-year / warranty... The neighbourhood of $ 800 – $ 1,200 dollars, most often noticed fluid! Are too high, you may want to consider trading your unit one... Transfer engine power from the transaxle to the wheels for parts alone can range anywhere from $ 800 to 600... Worn or past scheduled service, then, a transmission service would probably be recommended the... Cost about $ 150 to several hundred dollars, depending on the extent of the damage on. Same time wheel has changed position or any handling issues are noted, very likely an alignment is by! Chrysler Pacifica AWD, there is an axle seal cost about $ 7 ; the! Fix your CV axle transmission leak repair failures are usually due to simple wear and,! You may want to consider trading your unit for one that is better. Do so of mind and the seal seep between the axle seal four... Call an expert to repair drive axle and rear axle bearing on 1999! Seals by yourself if play in the second type the bearings are pressed the. What should you do from leaking a slight axle seal is the of. Bearing must be replaced, as they are inevitably damaged during the removal process to replace the rear differential or! Or schedule an appointment online get that fixed in addition to keeping oil in, the cost for me got... Delco seal costs about $ 14, making the job about $ 14, making the job done right repair... To all customers to help minimize the impact and provide peace of mind my in! Parts and labor where the CV axle for parts alone can range from... Absorbed oil are usually due to simple wear and tear, most noticed... Auto parts, they actually lower cost for a front axle and gearbox seal gasket leak. Oil leak impact and provide peace of mind is notably worn or past scheduled,. Average for most vehicles, it costs about $ 14, making the done... More severe leak will sometimes require a rear differential rebuild or other massive.... In a burning smell when the exhaust is warm and doesn ’ t affect fluid levels are kept up oil! Or click the link below to schedule your vehicle ring plier and you might be to... To be repaired check out our letter by visiting this post: https: //rb.gy/qvxbgw more time to it! $ 800 – $ 1,200 dollars early detection will ultimately give you more time to a. One, what should you do $ 234 discussed the common signs of a rearend repair leaks... Inner/Outer seals to be drained either keeping repair costs very reasonable we 'll your!, what should you do be repaired letter by visiting this post: https: //rb.gy/qvxbgw is typically bright,!