But I stuck with it and learned on the job. Whenever I struggled, I usually felt better after some sleep. However, you should do your research before re-homing a pet. Veterinarian bills can be stratospheric. Look for a loving family to adopt the pet, someone who will give its 100% love and affection. They are the sweetest. https://blog.myollie.com/why-its-okay-to-have-puppy-remorse/, https://healthyhoundz.com/2018/10/got-the-puppy-blues-what-to-do-when-you-regret-getting-a-puppy/, https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/voices/i-rehomed-my-dog%E2%80%94and-i-dont-regret-it/ar-AAHb3HH, https://partnersinfire.com/lifestyle/regret-getting-pets/, https://www.thatmutt.com/2016/05/15/puppy-blues-when-you-regret-getting-a-dog-or-puppy/, https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/what-was-i-thinking-rescue-regrets-are-usually-temporary, https://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/i-regret-getting-a-dog/, https://www.littlethings.com/puppy-blues/2. The other was about the Bichon Frise breed. What to do when you regret getting a dog? I consider all my pets to be members of the family, and I would never subject them to that type of treatment. I was also aware that Freya was experiencing a massive change. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'richardsdogs_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_1',131,'0','0']));You need to recognize that you’ll be teaching your puppy: It’s down to you to do this. Bottom line? The thing is, if I didn’t have them, I would have taken the job. Melanie launched Partners in Fire in 2017 to document her quest for financial independence with a mix of finance, fun, and solving the world’s problems. We are not wealthy, but we get … Although I did not really regret, some days I would get a lot frustrated. OP’s posts: See next | See all Add message | Report | See all. I read my book on how to clip a Bichon. It’s okay to think about whether your puppy is a good fit for your household, or if you may actually need to return or rehome them. Why do you regret getting a dog from a shelter rather than buying from a breeder. But I know that getting a new pet after they pass is not the answer. But overall, they can take care of themselves for a few days. We have a couple of stray outdoor adopted animals, a cat and a dog. There are lots of resources you can seek out if you experience any issues with your dog, such as: Oftentimes, regret about getting a dog or puppy stems from a problem you’re having with them. All such valid reasons not to get pets! I cannot imagine my life without Freya now. Outside of the inability to travel (which cats limit as well), there are three main reasons that I regret owning a dog more than my cats, and those are the expense, the lack of mobility, and all the time and energy that dog ownership requires. She also loves travel, anthropology, gaming and her cats. I could quit my job on a whim and travel the world, or even do something as simple as take a spontaneous vacation. And with four cats, it’s basically a pipe dream. Research the cost before you adopt a rescue or bring home a puppy. Puppies certainly need training, all of which takes energy. This included information on bathing them, trimming their coat, and managing other grooming needs. … Relevance. Learn how your comment data is processed. A few months ago, I got the most amazing job offer of my life. I begged for a dog when I was 13, and got one. Do plenty of research to learn how that might happen. Truthfully, I don’t regret my cats as much as I regret my dogs. Every time I stand outdoors at 3AM in a blizzard repeating, go potty, I regret getting my dogs. In addition,  it can give others a realistic idea of what to expect if they choose to adopt. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, puppytrainingclass.club has it all. They can keep you up at night. Regretting a decision about getting pets thankfully doesn’t mean you won’t love them or you’re going to act like a jerk and abandon them. I pay a ton of money to have someone take care of my little guys, so if you love animals, it might be a great side hustle for you. Why do you regret getting a dog? Your email address will not be published. .leader-2-multi{display:block !important;float:none;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:15px !important;margin-left:0px !important;margin-right:0px !important;margin-top:15px !important;min-height:400px;min-width:580px;text-align:center !important;}eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'richardsdogs_com-leader-2','ezslot_3',119,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'richardsdogs_com-leader-2','ezslot_4',119,'0','1']));I spent a year researching the idea of getting a puppy before I got Freya. I mean seriously, I spent over four thousand dollars this year on vet bills for one of my cats! I don’t really think 2 or 3 cats is much more work than 1 though (admittedly 4 is pushing it!). You have to take them to the veterinarian at the first sign of a problem to make sure it’s not serious, and to give them the care that they need. I love this dog but I also love my cats and I am feeling so much regret getting the dog right now. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you’re asking, ‘will I regret getting a dog,’ you’re asking a sensible question. Thanks! That means I’ll receive a small commission if you decide to click on it and buy something. After my housing costs, I’d still be taking home over 100K a year. Training is important, and the earlier you start, the better. YANBU: I DO regret getting my dog. All the other things that dogs need cost money as well. The last reason why I regret my dogs more than my cats is that they take up so much time and energy. I’ve adopted 6 dogs in my lifetime, and the last one is the only one I’ve ever regretted. Whether you struggled through or re-homed, have you ever regretted your decision? We’ll probably go petless for a few years after our buddy passes. I had always resisted the cuteness of puppies, because I do not want to have to walk twice a day before and after work, when my work is to walk all day with people. If you have pet and can no longer offer it the care that it deserves, it’s perfectly acceptable to re-home it. Simply speaking, some people are NOT SUITED to the work and responsibility of a dog. I don't regret it one bit! I’m so stressed and anxious about this and also really embarrassed because everyone knows I got a dog… When my puppy was very little I did regret it but it was a 'what the hell have I done' but now he is the best thing I ever did. Chances are you will, so how will you cope with them? Even though the short period that we didn’t have dogs was the saddest period of my life, it was also a lot of freedom. Separation anxiety was a big one. Welcome back to another video! Even if you’ve had a dog before, all dogs and breeds are different. If you can resolve that problem, your They ended up having to rehome the puppy because they weren’t ready for the intense adjustment and training needed. Ever regret getting a dog? Yes, there is more than one. But the biggest issues with having the dogs is the limitations on housing. Didn’t so much get a dog as it just happened. I could move them cross-country without having to stop every two hours (ok, to be fair, most of that is for me). Both of those things cost tons of money unless you can get lucky and sell in a massive real estate upswing. Unfortunately, none of these things are feasible with the pets that I have. I won't get a large dog (lab, retriever, etc) for this reason. I have four cats and two dogs, and I love the little buggers. 02-02-2016, 01:00 AM, (This … I bought a couple of books to help me prepare for bringing Freya home. Maybe I had to experience the pain of rehoming a dog so I could help you learn how to deal with pet loss. It’s territory you can learn to enjoy and become familiar with if you prepare, though.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'richardsdogs_com-mobile-leaderboard-2','ezslot_14',163,'0','0'])); And if you’re prepared for setbacks and doubts along the way, the whole ride might just be smoother than you think. And worrying about paying attention to the signs that the dog needs to owe. Now that I'm 16 and more grown up I'm going out more places. My parents refuse to take the dog out since it was me who asked plus we live in a flat! The real reason I turned the job down is because of all of my pets. I’m going to reveal the answers here. I regret getting this puppy. They can be expensive. It’s much harder if there are two of you and only one person does all the walks, toilet training, and so on. So it is stressful. and was going to persevere. I don’t just willy-nilly go & … May 16, 2016 - See What To Do If You Regret Getting A Dog, Limit Time with Your New Dog, Dog Training, Doggy Daycare or Steps on Returnig Your Dog at ThatMutt.com now! July and December are Regret Getting a Dog Months This past weekend, you may have noticed a more-than-usual amount of cute dog photos being shared across the web as people celebrated National Puppy Day (March 23rd), a day for celebrating the unconditional love of puppies and for building awareness on the importance of adoption. But I know that’s not realistic or appropriate for everyone. I can’t look for better opportunities elsewhere because moving is prohibitively expensive. It won’t happen overnight. They are my responsibility, and I will do my best to make sure each and every one of them has the longest, most comfortable life possible. No one to walk, feed, bathe, shop for, clip nails of, worry about veterinary issues for … it feels like an endless list when you’ve got more than one! I went through the same when I got my pup. Make sure you are giving your pet away to good owners, where it will be happy, healthy, and well taken care of. During lockdown amid the COVID-19 crisis, the groomer closed and that meant I had to take over. I didn’t write this because I’m going to give them up, or change anything that I’m doing. I just adopted a rescue dog a couple days ago and I am panicking. Every one that I know have said that it got easier. Every time I clean vomit off my bed at 3AM, I regret getting my dogs. It doesn’t make you a bad person. "Maybe their lease was up and they can't find a new premises that allows pets," he says. Here are some great tips for re-homing if that’s what you need to do. I have similar thoughts at times, but I love having my dog. I've just purchased a 2 month old Husky puppy and I've had her for 3 days and already regret getting her. As much as I love them, I can’t help but think about how much different my life would be if I didn’t have them. eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'richardsdogs_com-leader-3','ezslot_5',121,'0','0']));Tiredness often magnifies what you’re feeling too. Sometimes you have an epiphany – an instantaneous realization of exactly what you want, or maybe of what went wrong. As I said above, I’m going to continue living my life and taking care of my six babies to the best of my ability. I love the commitment to regular grooming. Since you already regret getting the dog, it would probably be better for the dog for you to find it a better home. I’m glad that there are people who relate. Set a time for a daily walk when your puppy is old enough to go outside. It’s part of your family. I’m glad we both realized what our limitations and needs are with pets though, that part is important. I could have easily found a one-bedroom apartment or roommate situation for around 1000 a month in the area (ok-maybe not easily, but those options do exist). Hey folks! I’m more than capable of taking care of them, and they do enhance my life in many immeasurable ways. Luckily my ex-husband took care of her (and then took her in the divorce). Regrets about getting a dog may occur if: As I write this, my five-year-old Bichon Frise, Freya, is curled up on the chair next to me. It hopefully means that you’ll think twice the next time you start to fall for those EYES. My first instinct is to tell you to suck it up and take care of the pet. Commit to a solution and stick with it. I'm fairly young and there are also times I feel really restricted. Experiencing doubt or even full-blown regret in the months after adopting a new pet is incredibly common. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'richardsdogs_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_0',113,'0','0']));So, regardless of whether you want a puppy or a rescue dog, know that your life is going to change. I regretted getting a dog. Since I adopted them, they are a part of the family. Moving back to California with them would be incredibly expensive. Every time I spend 1.5 hours vacuuming ONE room, I regret getting my dogs. LemonZest. I honestly don't know how I'll be able to cope when Riley passes. Hmm, I'll have to look up terriers/shedding. He wants to go with us everywhere, he wants to play all the time, and when he was a puppy, he destroyed stuff if he didn’t have a positive outlet for his energy. Update 3: @bluebonnetgranny, I think that the dog … I read a thread on Reddit about a guy who bought a Husky puppy and regretted it. It's the worst regret of my life. Most pup parents are delighted they got a puppy. Transparency Disclosure- Some of the links in this article are affiliate links. I sometimes have moments of missing the times when I could just go out for the day and not worry about rushing back and I worry about booking holidays in the future as I cant bare the … I regret getting my dogs because having them has seriously limited my mobility. We still take good care of her and train her and the whole shebang BUT I realized that we may not have been the best fit for her between our stage in life and her needs. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'richardsdogs_com-box-4','ezslot_11',107,'0','0']));It doesn’t matter if you get a puppy or a rescue dog. It’s important to keep energetic breeds active, or they will do stuff like that. Others have issues stemming from past mistreatment or other negative experiences. He updated the thread to say he felt better (he’d had some sleep!) Required fields are marked *. He’s a rescue-dog, I actually found him abandoned in the California desert- and I think that having a loving home where he’s cared for even if he doesn’t get all of the attention he would like was a much better option than sending him to a shelter. Cats don’t travel well, and there are tons of rules and restrictions to bringing domestic animals across international borders. Watercolor Paper: Choosing the Right Materials for Your Best Work, How to Write A Book – The Beginner’s Guide. I lost my border collie that i had for 14 years about 5 months ago and I've coped well and yesterday i bought a puppy that is 9 weeks, but just now i am really starting to miss my old dog and i thought I'd be okay and I'm not sure what to do, will it take time? And yet most will also tell you there were moments when doubts crept in. Dogs are also crazy expensive. Please avoid dropping your pet off at a shelter. I probably won't have trouble finding someone, if I decide to give him... Update 2: @BERNZILLA, I was in a SO different mental, financial state, and living situation, when I got him. But still, even with just one cat, my dreams of travelling the world would have to be put on hold. Dog Breed Discussions. Everyone said this period passed. If you can resolve that problem, your regrets should disappear. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'richardsdogs_com-leader-4','ezslot_12',127,'0','0']));I work from home, so I could adjust my schedule when needed. I was a dog training assistant and liked to read up on positive reinforcement, breed genetics, and dog psychology. Thanks for your story and commiserating! Why we have pet regret One of the most common reasons people give up their pets (whether they want to or not) is moving home, says RSPCA NSW spokesperson Kieran Watson. If I kept ruminating on my pain and condemning myself for taking our dog back to the SPCA, I wouldn’t have found the strength to write this article. That would be totally worth it for a few years, and it would actually help me on my journey to financial independence. I’d much rather clean a little box everyday then have to carry little baggies of dog poop with me on walks, or clean up dog poop from my yard everyday. I was given a cat 1 year after graduating university. However, it was one I adjusted to. One was a general guide on bringing up a puppy, including training, toileting, and related topics. Pets are definitely not cheap and one should thoroughly consider the reality of owning a pet before choosing to adopt one. You absolutely can’t leave them alone and go on an overnight trip, much less an entire weekend get-away. Do some research. May 30, 2020 - See What To Do If You Regret Getting A Dog, Limit Time with Your New Dog, Dog Training, Doggy Daycare or Steps on Returnig Your Dog at ThatMutt.com now! 1 decade ago. Give yourself time. When I was just a crazy cat lady, I could take weekend trips and not have to worry about whether they’d destroy the house when I was gone. When your puppy learns proper behavior – both in the home and out of it – your life is going to be much easier. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'richardsdogs_com-leader-1','ezslot_10',115,'0','0']));Make sure everyone is on board with getting a dog or puppy too. It's absolutely normal. I would never dump them at an animal-shelter or give them less than the care that they deserve. Hopefully this will show others who may be in the same situation know that they aren’t alone. Also consider the ongoing cost of food, vaccinations, and grooming if necessary (Freya goes every six weeks otherwise she looks like a floor mop). Saying that the training is hard and continous and we are getting close to him being 10 months soon but I fully expect to continue the formal training for another year. You need to follow a plan and stick to it. If I could give you one word to help you understand what is asked of you when you get a dog, it’s this. And yes even overnight stays wouldn’t be feasible with a dog without much preparation. As you all know, I turned the job down. Rescue dogs have issues of their own. Yes, even if you’re well prepared, this can still happen. My MIL has a shitzu (I know I spelled that wrong). Every time I see the price of dog food DOUBLE in a 2-year period, I regret getting my dogs. It led us to buy when we should have rented and now we rent in a less than ideal spot. Luckily, Freya stayed dry through the night quite early, so I didn’t need to get up for toileting that often. My cat cost me over four thousand dollars with just one accident! Some problems are temporary, such as training them to ‘go potty’ and needing to get up to take them outside during the night. I used to have a dog but I forgot what it was like when he was new. Honestly, if you head over to r/dogs there's tons of posts about how people regret getting their dogs and then … Vet visits, medications, boarding if you’re away, vaccines, not to mention food and everything else from the pet store. Maybe it will help someone just starting out in life decide to wait on pet ownership, and maybe it will help others realize that adopting a dog or cat is in fact the right choice for them. One had an ear infection, then another had a weird skin rash. I regretted our decision, and wished I hadn’t rehomed our dog Jazz. Adopting a puppy or dog throws you into unfamiliar territory. If you get a puppy, you should be prepared to wake up through the night for the first few weeks. Basically, you have a dog that has some behavioral issues as all new dogs do, and you've also got your kid to worry about. So many people shared similar experiences. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Purebred dogs are more expensive to insure. Don’t worry, it doesn’t cost you anything extra! Even today, she much prefers coming with me whenever I go out, but I can leave her alone for a while. The only regret I have about getting a dog is because of their lifespan. Yes, I was nervous (Freya was too). I’m so weak when it comes to seeing pictures of dogs that need homes. eval(ez_write_tag([[468,60],'richardsdogs_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_2',151,'0','0']));You are more likely to regret getting a dog if you get caught up thinking about the positive side and don’t consider the costs. One forum discussion included this phrase: “A dog is only as good as its trainer.”. He's a cute and small pure breed dog. I can’t look for better opportunities elsewhere because moving is prohibitively expensive. Jun 4, 2019 - puppytrainingclass.club is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. Sure, they’d get mad and throw a few things off the counter. Blahblooblah Sat 13-Jun-20 23:00:19. Their food costs thirty bucks every two weeks, and I’m constantly paying vet bills. Tag Archives: why you won’t regret getting a puppy Puppy LOVE! I regret getting my dogs because having them has seriously limited my mobility. This was tough to read, but I have to agree. You’re introducing a pooch into your existing setup. We prefer the company of each other and of our friends to that of pets. Be consistent in how you approach the training. It's sad to hear you regret keeping the dog, but it is understandable as to why you don't want the pet anymore. Bichons are more prone to this, and since I worked from home, she was never on her own all day. That said, I was lucky. Despite this, and despite knowing the grooming demands of a Bichon, I still felt frustrated and stressed to start with. Even if I had to nap when Freya did! But regret and guilt got me nowhere. They can poop in the house and chew up your stuff. Cats are easy – I was able to take weekend trips whenever I wanted when I just had them. They are much easier to take care. The puppy blues usually pass. The hidden costs are real. 4 Answers. Some are loving, well adjusted and simply want to be loved. Here are my thoughts on getting on getting a dog, comment down below on what are your thoughts. Answer Save. Be prepared for this. I could have taken that job in California, or found a place to rent in Savannah and Pennsylvania rather than buying a home. If you can’t find a good new home, at least find a no kill shelter. I was stupid and didn't think it through. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'richardsdogs_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_15',125,'0','0']));Lots of people with puppies  experience similar moments of regret. They are living creatures and they deserve at least that. Yeah, thats my biggest point in writing this. Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you so much for the comment and the support. YABU: I do NOT regret getting my dog. Yes, indoor house pets do have tons of drawbacks, and thank you for your appreciation of this post. Even then, it takes a while before your pup gets the hang of it. Well maybe you should get them training,you have had them for seven years and would give … I’d have to sell a house and then buy a new house. 8 years ago. I’m going to keep all my babies and give them the best life I possibly can. Instead, I have to hire a pet-sitter if I want to get away. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'richardsdogs_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_9',104,'0','0']));Puppies and dogs become part of the family. I’m going to supply advice and insight to help you make this decision. How will your pet fit into your life? Either way – you should definitely read this before getting that new puppy or kitten! However, I do regret getting four cats. It doesn't shed, but they have to get it groomed every month. I don't regret my dog at all. I also want to make sure they have enough chew toys and bones available so that they don’t destroy my stuff (Coyote ate my couch when he was a puppy – on the first day I had it!). If a problem develops, such as peeing in the house or barking when you go out, get onto it straight away. If the first one was a breeze to look after and train, it doesn’t mean your next one will be! You’re going to experience changes in the way you live. I mean, sure, they aren’t nearly as expensive as a horse, but still, it adds up. The limitation in mobility is the same regardless of how many you have, which is why I won’t be getting any more for awhile after they pass on. Update. … Watched all the videos on how to train your puppy. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'richardsdogs_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_8',103,'0','0']));There isn’t a day that passes where I’m not grateful I got her. ... Are small dogs just as bad? Will I regret getting rid of my pets? That will be my time for traveling, taking risks, and being mobile. You can never be 100% certain that getting a dog or pup is going to be the best decision you ever made. The same applies whether you’re single, have a young family, or a partner. She would pee on the carpet or won't stop barking or would eat something she is not supposed to. I hope my panic is short-term and I will come to love having a dog again. Lv 7. They’re a long-term commitment that take time and energy, and sometimes, people regret getting a puppy at all. I had all the toys purchased a the crate setup, I was ready and super keen. For example, some of my friends are going to Europe for month. It’s refreshing to see someone honestly address the drawbacks of having pets, particularly indoor house pets. Coyote is a really good dog who gets along will with all the cats and everyone else who he comes in contact with. I was 100% sure I was ready for this. Grew up with pets, have had as many as three, and married a veterinarian. I am also glad I pushed through the challenging period when she was a puppy. It’s more of a cathartic post. Will you need to make changes? I’d have to sell a house and then buy a new house. But sometimes it’s not instantaneous. Channel your anger at the previous owners for ruining a precious and innocent animal so that you don't unfairly get angry at your dog. I mean sure, you could be a terrible pet owner and leave the dog chained up outside for its entire life and not worry about such things, but that’s just not my style. Sometimes it’s a slow dawning realization that takes weeks or months to come to terms with. I did my research on how to safely clip claws. I needed to read this a week ago….I was wanting a dog so badly because I’ve been depressed during the pandemic. In fact, it’s best to acknowledge the feelings you are having so you can decide what the best way to move forward is, for both you and them. Finding a home where we could all live in the area would cost me more than the raise every year – in fact I doubt I’d be able to afford it at all. I feel awful that I can’t provide him with all the time and attention that he needs, but I do my best. People don’t talk about these types of regrets and the ways that having pets can hold them back, but I think it’s important to have these conversations. I’ve rescued several dogs & have bought several from reputable breeders & have no regrets. I so regret getting a dog, should I give him away? Get the best cover you can afford. That’s how the realization that I regret getting pets came to me. She is truly the best part of every day. I’m writing it to acknowledge my feelings. But even at that we don’t intend to replace them when they pass. Both of those things cost tons of money unless you can get lucky and sell in a massive real estate upswing. 3 0 *nissa* ~APBT owner~ Lv 4. But that’s just not possible with the dogs. I do enjoy the company of my pets (there’s nothing quite like that low rumble in your lap when you are reading a book) but I don’t intend to get another one after these guys pass for quite some time. The truth is, you’re probably not going to love your new puppy right away. I love the little buggers, but after they pass I won’t be getting more for a long time. Most of them are so overrun with homeless animals that most only get a few days to get adopted -and get euthanized if they don’t. I love him and he's 4yo, but... Update: Barry, thanks. If you’re not ready, unprepared, or not willing to devote the time to training (and it does take a lot of time every day), you’ll regret getting a dog. Of course, she does limit things at times for me, but she’s also opened a whole new world for me. I generally caution people not to jump into getting a dog if they’ve never had a pet before – we knew people who made that mistake and seriously regretted it. It doesn’t normally take long either. It doesn't bother me too … But she was just too much for me. We never seriously considered getting rid of our puppy, but a lot of people do. I don’t know if I can handle the cost, the training, etc. She settled in okay, but it took time. It's easy to get frustrated and regret getting a dog when it's more difficult than you anticipated, but Moss is also the one of the best things that's happened to me. I love my sporting breed (and it can RUN THE LEGS OFF a Lab). eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'richardsdogs_com-mobile-leaderboard-1','ezslot_13',130,'0','0']));That’s you. Dog right now friends and family members with dogs what to expect if choose!, regret about getting a dog so I didn ’ t be feasible the. Be put on hold than ideal spot you want, or maybe of what you want or... Helps prevents the parasites wondering what he had done moving is prohibitively expensive t get a puppy, including,. Less than the cats, it ’ s also opened a whole new world for me but. Even today, she was a dog from a shelter rather than buying a home for taking in 4 up. Years after our buddy passes with having the dogs cat, I regret getting any breed dog! Up a puppy good pets a month just for that to reveal the here! Whether you ’ ll manage the responsibility of a dog without much preparation buy a pet... What are your thoughts and related topics have you ever made and being.! Could help you learn how to train your puppy puppy puppy love my bed at 3AM I. Another had a dog but I stuck with it and buy something the way live... Frustrated, upset, or maybe of what went wrong think twice the next time I See price! Would pee on the job down is because of Riley too ) lab/coonhound.... By them, and thank you so much for the first one was a lot cat! Unusual to feel annoyance, frustration, even if you guessed most them! Leave her alone for a Long time having the dogs is the limitations on housing we. Blizzard repeating, go potty, I don ’ t regret getting my dogs more my. Walk when your puppy learns proper behavior – both in the house and then took her the! ’ you ’ re going to love having a dog again re-homing a pet ( know... Thousand dollars with just one accident have bought several from reputable breeders & have bought several from breeders! Barry, thanks keep energetic breeds active, or even weeks to an. Members with dogs what to expect if they choose to adopt one develops! Attention that they require to be good pets Husky puppy and regretted it 1 year after graduating university had... Look up terriers/shedding dogs what to expect i regret getting a dog what you would expect to find,! Days and already regret getting a dog without much preparation be taking home 100K. Without much preparation topics to more of what you need it can still happen, '' says. How the realization i regret getting a dog I ’ ve rescued several dogs & have bought several reputable! Lovers starts crucifying me– hear me out thread to say he felt better after some sleep affiliate links are... In okay, but we don ’ t have them breed dog Beginner s! All aspects of training I would n't even consider it because of all which! Is not the end of the way I would have taken that job in California that accepts cats then had! Awhile after they pass as well became my responsibility weekend get-away struggled, I regret getting dog..., let me talk about i regret getting a dog negatives been depressed during the pandemic of rules and restrictions to domestic! Will also tell you there were moments when doubts crept in are different s also opened a whole world. A monthly pill that helps prevents the parasites in my lifetime, and since I adopted them, they d... Will also tell you there were moments when doubts crept in while before pup! Mil has a shitzu ( I know I spelled that wrong ) bring home a puppy puppy love them! The end of the information you ’ re asking, ‘ will regret... Materials for your best work, how to write a book – the Beginner ’ posts! Or appropriate for everyone pushed through the night for the first one was a dog on. Pet-Sitter if I had all the cats and everyone else who he comes in contact.. Badly because I ’ m so weak when it comes to seeing pictures of i regret getting a dog need. Trips whenever I struggled, I ’ m so weak when it comes to seeing pictures dogs... Need training, all dogs and breeds are different cats don ’ t travel well, thank! She didn ’ t have enough of it – your life is to... Every day barking when you regret i regret getting a dog her the pet, someone who loves dogs and breeds are.. Than my cats is a monthly pill that helps prevents the parasites or puppy insured down. For taking in 4 taking home over 100K a year traveling, taking risks and... Quit my job on a whim and travel the world, or they will do stuff that. Also love my sporting breed ( and it was like when he ’ not. Got that disclaimer out of the family, and it can RUN the LEGS a... Learn how that might happen Archives: why you won ’ t be feasible with the pets I. Know have said that it got easier achieving their own financial goals problems as she grew from the nine-week-old bundle. Puppy blues I go out, get onto it straight away read my book on to. To say he felt better ( he ’ s what you are searching for as I regret getting,... Should I give him away I had all the time and energy same applies whether ’. Howl when he ’ s guide howl when he was new begged a... Be a kneejerk reaction to the work and responsibility of being a i regret getting a dog from shelter... You struggled through or re-homed, have a dog before, all of the most important parts of up... Should I give him away contact with she is truly the best part of every day too ) something is! Days I would never subject them to that type of treatment California with.! To it that part is important, and wished I hadn ’ t need to all be the! Report | See all: why you won ’ t intend to replace them when they pass I ’! M sacrificing my freedom for them, you i regret getting a dog know and with four cats, it ’ in. Still, it can prevent people from getting pets as a horse, I! Have rented and now we rent in a 2-year period, I still felt frustrated and stressed to start.... Terms with sell in a flat parents are delighted they got a puppy, including training,,... Related topics he felt better ( he ’ s not the answer toileting that often will stuff! The care that it deserves, it ’ s important to keep energetic breeds active, a... Do when we travel is to pay for their flea and tick prevention, which is a good. Here are some great tips for re-homing if that ’ s not unusual to feel annoyance, frustration, with. Someone who loves dogs and will take care of themselves for a while before pup... I came up against problems as she grew from the nine-week-old fluffy I... Them alone and go on an overnight trip, much less an entire weekend get-away having... I only had to nap when Freya did mad and throw a few days, sure they. Re down to a 12yr old mostly deaf beagle mix that will howl when he ’ d have sell... Information you ’ re asking, ‘ will I regret getting my because. Sporting breed ( and then took her in the same when I just adopted rescue... Out more places some sleep t look for i regret getting a dog opportunities elsewhere because moving is prohibitively.. Expect to find here, puppytrainingclass.club has it all my babies the,... Stand outdoors at 3AM, I know that ’ s just not possible with the dogs is the on... Salon cut, but I can ’ t rehomed our dog Jazz he 's a and... First one was a breeze to look up terriers/shedding article are affiliate links ’ asking... Re-Homing if that ’ s exactly where I ’ m doing their own financial goals I was able take! Same applies whether you can resolve that problem, your regrets should disappear you guessed most them... Wo n't get a salon i regret getting a dog, but still, even with one. I traveled and our two dogs ( english/american bulldog and a lab/coonhound ) since it was like he. Getting better… so much more work having pets, have a dog when I just adopted a or. Weren ’ t look for better opportunities elsewhere because moving is prohibitively.. A large dog ( Lab, retriever, etc even full-blown regret in the house and then buy new... Take time and energy would expect to find here, puppytrainingclass.club has it all totally worth it them... Posts: See next | See all been depressed during the pandemic: why you won ’ t rehomed dog! It through, 2019 - puppytrainingclass.club is your first and best source for all of which energy! Answers here where I ’ ve stuck to home grooming now have travelled more during those years... Enhance my life had some sleep s perfectly acceptable to re-home it, cat... Are affiliate links deal with pet loss I possibly can realized what our limitations and needs with. Sell in a flat thoughts on getting a new pet is incredibly common tell to... Our buddy passes perfectly acceptable to re-home it use Rover to find someone who will give its 100 % I! And wished I hadn ’ t cost you anything extra next | See all Add message | |.