Parents frequently complain to me that their children are withdrawn. However, once antibiotics have kicked in, rest and relaxation, combined with isolation from other kids may be all a child … Simply subscribe below and the questions for parents will be emailed to your inbox. Some ideas: Ask them for favorite stories from their childhood. As a matter of fact, my current iPhone takes amazing videos. We held her tight, hugged her, and sent her on her way. Thank you for sharing your journey to parenthood. Thank you for asking us what to ask parents. Get out your phone or pad of paper and pen and have fun with the interview! Do you have any suggestions on how to best connect with your child? Hi, I’m Michelle. All Rights Reserved. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! What is your mother’s full maiden name? 40 questions to ask your parents right now. Describe a moment in American history that you will never forget. Three years of doctors shaking their heads, of appointments, of surgery, of medicine to help. When you have some time, sit down with your parents and have a conversation with them. (This topic might also offer some levity after the above questions have been answered, though it can also be a separate follow-up conversation.) One would be crazy to think that one single teacher could be the mouth piece for an entire district. Giving them time to think about the child at home when they have a minute would really improve feedback. Thank you Pernille for sharing your journey to parenthood. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Ask parents to describe their own approach to parenting and education. Did I leave any questions off that you are curious to know about your parents? What is the most unique thing about our family name? Do you have any nicknames? If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be? 24 Questions You Should Ask Your Parents, While You Can As weeks, months and years fly by, we are all missing opportunities to talk about real things -- important things -- with our parents. Were your parents strict? Was your Mom or Dad the strictest? What is your hope for your children/grandchildren? When I was a child, my history teacher made us interview a grandparent about their childhood. Not interested in subscribing to an e-newsletter for a free printable PDF? Ask the parents about these passions and struggles so that you can equip your students with the tools for a truly meaningful education. The risks to students from school closures, including “virtual dropouts”, lack of food security, safety, and adverse impacts on social, physical and mental health, must be weighed against risks from being back in school. Kind regards, Alex, Wondering which preschool to admit your child in? Love recording memories? Thank you for sharing those questions. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Practice with these type of questions and you'll have both conversation topic for kids and the opportunity to build a better relationship with your child. Their parents. If your life was a reality show, what would it be called? For the past eight years, we have been the parents of her and three more siblings, all with their own winding road into being. Three years of dreaming. It is meant to begin the discussion of classroom issues and challenges between educators and families. When you think about your child, what makes you proud? Often parents can see things in children that the children can’t see in themselves. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Ask them questions (like maybe one from down below) and really absorb what they have to say. And finally, thank you for sharing these great questions that we should all be asking parents about their kids! Download this COVID-19 time capsule worksheet for kids and New Year’s Eve Questions. When she came I cried knowing that the miracle she was would never be fully understood by others who had not traveled our journey. Do I model the behavior that I want my child to exhibit? This book focuses on the five keys we can implement into any reading community to strengthen student reading experiences, even within the 45 minute English block. Thank you for sharing those questions. These questions also make excellent guide to conduct a interview with a parent, grandparent or anyone else. Contest: Win a Copy of Give This Book a Title. What do you think of the list of questions to ask your parents? What’s the hardest thing about raising children? The answers were too good not to share, so thank you, everyone, who responded. ( Log Out /  Not so we can pretend you are perfect but so we can present you for everything that you are. so recommend asking your parents to get those secrets out. this was very good questions. Imagine if YouTube was around back then and I filmed their answers? Could you outline the schedule of a typical day or classroom period? i got to learn more about my parents. Even as a new teacher I was never afraid to ask my students’ parents questions because I know and value the importance of hearing about my students from the people who know them best. Children ask lots of questions, but now it’s time to turn the tables. https://www.parentcircle.com/article/9-questions-parents-should-ask-the-preschool-before-enrolling-their-child/. If you could change one thing about your life what would it be and why? 19 Questions Your Child’s Teacher Would (Probably) Love to Answer What academic standards do you use, and what do I need to know about them? This will answer many questions that will arise over the year. Parents teach a lot of things to their children. ( Log Out /  At the end of our conversation, I had a binder full of answers to meaningful questions. One of the most significant challenges facing formal education in the United States is … Some of these questions I can almost predict their answers from memory, but some I have no clue what they would say. Or address, if you were born in a home? After 20 years of experience and after sending my own child off to school, here are some questions I’d ask parents with the intention of building a partnership to support their child’s learning. Some questions you might consider asking include: 1. Most importantly, parents would know they are seen as experts on their child. Questions parents ask (334 kB) (Children's Health Scotland) Categories: Using NHS Services Resource types: Leaflet Topics: hospital. What else? ( Log Out /  In retrospect, I wish I’d asked more questions about their child and then listened more to what they had to say. Program styles, staffing, and family preferences all may change over the years, and in some cases, a … So please feel free to disagree, agree, compliment or discourage further blogging but promise to not think this is in any way an official mode of communication for my employer. What do parents/guardians wish we would ask them about their child? Willful and strong, creative and flighty, funny and sometimes mad, but always you, and always a child who is exploring who they are and what life has to offer. This will give you an idea about how the school works and if the environment is suitable for your child. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. My mission is to help moms believe in themselves through realistic parenting hacks that make life with kids easier and more fun! You are the things we are the proudest of. Pernille Ripp is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. What did your parents call you? The good news is that my parents are still alive and well. Back to resources. How can I make your child feel safe and open to trying new things? Here are some questions you must ask the school before you help your child take his first step into the world of learning. Just don't ask them all at once. 4. Download and print at home with a few clicks! Your email address will not be published. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Change ). Names give a family an identity and are not always drawn from just anywhere. ★ Ask the school principal for a school handbook. Has your name changed since birth? Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Don’t stress because even an iPhone will do the trick. Not all of them will have an impact to their children life. Only those that make long term impact remains to be the most valuable. 2. What are your hopes and dreams for the school year? 20 Questions to Ask before Sending your Kids Back to School. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. Do you know what questions to ask your parents that will spark meaningful conversations? My own kids are so long grown I’ve forgotten what I would have asked.Now, I tend to ask in person, probably putting the parent on the spot. Many of these questions are rarely the subject of parent-teacher interactions, but -- well, that's kind of the point. And respect and sensitivity are still key to effective communication. Thank you, thank you, thank you! 50 Childhood based question to write a family history or conduct personal history interview. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. And thank you for putting words my own fears for my oldest daughter as she embarks on kindergarten this year. What was the city/town you grew up in like? Here are 63 fun “get-to know-you” questions for kids to get a conversation started. That would have been a gem to have! Curious children ask 73 questions each day - many of which parents can't answer, says study. How would you like to share the story of who your child is with these new teachers? Describe your childhood home in detail. Questions parents often ask when their child is going into hospital. Don’t feel confident with a camera? There are no wrong answers. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Depending on your own daycare, you may find other appropriate questions to ask also. An example: Most parents want their children to be curious and to love learning. Did you ever get arrested? 3. What helps to motivate your child to do his/her best? by Terry Heick. 7. If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money? Shop printables here. Interview Questions: What is your full, legal name? Some parents will balk at the thought of being locked-in, but it is the only way that you have to protect yourself. What were the full names, dates of birth and places of birth of your parents and grandparents? Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window), Passionate Learners – How to Engage and Empower Your Students, What might be preventing students from learning in school? What did you want to be when you were growing up? What is your full name and why were you named that? What are the 3 happiest times in your life? Thank you for the great idea! Is becoming a grandparent different than becoming a parent? Questions you need to ask yourself before choosing a … Emotional understanding questions enable a parent to understand their child’s emotional behavior and the factors that influence their emotions. parents—their child might have different needs and expectations from a school than yours. To get to the root of the issue, ask your children Question #2. Thank you for sharing your hopes so that we can all become better teachers. If you are looking for solutions and ideas for how to re-engage all of your students consider reading my very first book  Passionate Learners – How to Engage and Empower Your Students. For some parents, finding a child care provider who has a "sick care" option for mildly ill children is a job-saver. Required fields are marked *. A million times, thank you! Your email address will not be published. Everyone has a story, so there is no doubt that your parents have an interesting story no matter how ‘uncool’ you may think your folks are. I personally would not accept a child if their parents refused to sign a contract. Thank you for asking us what to ask parents. And so with three kids about to start school, I hope we get a chance to tell your teachers who you are. But remember, you can feel free to just ask the questions you think are most interesting. Talk to other parents, teachers and stakeholders about the various facilities, safety features and teaching standards employed by the school. – Katie Martin, https://www.parentcircle.com/article/9-questions-parents-should-ask-the-preschool-before-enrolling-their-child/. I love my parents but I have never asked these questions, and I want to be closer to them. This year was tough but we are so, Nothing like a sunset in West Texas. We tried to have kids for three years before we were successful. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. So that we can start the year on the very best foot, hearing who your child is from the people that know them best. As their knowledge of life, of who they are, of where they fit have expanded and shrank, depending on what happened at any given time. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. You will not regret it. What did I do as a child that frustrated you and what did I do that you loved? These cookies do not store any personal information. She cried right along with me. If your grandparents are still on this Earth, definitely include them in on the fun. In addition to asking these questions during initial program selection, parents should also continue to consider them over the course of their child’s enrollment. Also, if you focus on the issue that parents are raising and remember that your shared goal is supporting their child… What’s your fondest memory in your first car? Some of the most common questions asked by parents. Today, as I prepared our own home survey (Spanish version here) that we send out to all of our incoming parents, I asked my PLN which question do they wish, as parents, they would be asked about their children. How would others describe you in middle school, high school and/or college? Of course these opinions, musings, rants and reflections do not express the opinion of my employer. You are our most precious. While nearly a third of parents admitted that their child’s incessant curiosity tired them, about four in ten expressed pride at how their son or daughter seemed to take keen interest in their surrounding world. What do you think the greatest invention has been during your lifetime? If you like what you read here, consider reading my newest book, Passionate Readers – The Art of Reaching and Engaging Every Child, out August 2017. It's always a good idea to have a grasp of the school curriculum and learn how the teacher approaches teaching in general, if this hasn't already been made clear to you. Road Trip time to visit our partners at @kalaharir, ❤️ I see Valentine’s Day gifts in the stores, It’s true, anytime I don’t meal plan my week c, Cold front is coming and we might get snow in Texa, Happy New Year! I challenge you to find the time to create and ask questions to ask your parents right now before it’s too late. Copyright ©2021, Modern Mom Life, LLC. When parents raise concerns with you, the basics of listening and speaking still apply. A new study finds that curious children ask their parents a whopping 73 questions — per day! Often we go through our lives so busy that we forget to talk to our own parents about their own journeys. If not, identify ways to add physical activity to your child’s daily routine. At the time I thought it was the biggest waste of my time, but looking back it was the best gift my teacher could ever give me. Dear Pernille, once again, thanks for sharing your thinking and your materials. How often you do you sc… It can be hard to strike up deep conversations with close relatives. It’s on my to-do list and something I am going to force them to do soon. What are your child’s areas of strength? When she started school I wrote a letter to her telling her of the hopes, the fears, and the dreams we had for her as she embarked on this next phase of her journey. This question will help your children to see that there are good things about your family that they may have taken for granted. ( Log Out /  Nor are my posts meant to offend mostly, nor mislead but rather provide a snapshot of my mind at a certain point in time on a topic. Three years of hoping this was the time. Asking open-ended questions is a great way to get information from and bond with your children. I am talking about thought-provoking open-ended questions. Good open-ended questions encourage more conversation than closed questions, which can be answered by a simple yes or no. It’s the best gift you can give yourself and what a great opportunity to get to REALLY know your parents. The 10 questions discussed in this article are among the key questions that parents may ask schools when they are not convinced that their bilingual programs are producing the results in achievement that will provide the LEP students the same opportunities to … 1. Emotional understanding survey questions to ask kids. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. It is my goal to sit down with them along with my sister who is an amazing videographer and ask these questions. It should not be viewed as an endpoint in itself. It is eerily similar to our own. Children's inquisitiveness said to peak at four, leaving almost half of parents feeling hopeless My other grandpa told tall tales about his life, but I regret that I never wrote them down because at the time it was not a school assignment and the thought never crossed my mind. What is your wish for your children/grandchildren. What do you like/dislike about your generation? Getting kids back to school must be a national priority. Ask if the school will offer virtual or socially distanced physical activity. I sell my printables for a minimal fee to support my business. The bad news is that both my grandfathers have passed now. They tell me that their children would rather spend time with their friends than family. What is your date of birth? Many of my students had parents who were absent or disengaged by the school or, like me, had active parents that did not know anything about college. We have watched in awe as their personalities have grown, as their will have formed. When I was a child, my history teacher made us interview a grandparent about their childhood. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These are my opinions and while I stand behind them right now they may change so while you are at it, don't hold that against me either. What’s the hardest/easiest thing about being an adult? QUESTIONS TO ASK PARENTS This worksheet may be used as a template to communicate with families of students with autism spectrum disorders. My own kids are so long grown I’ve forgotten what I would have asked.Now, I tend to ask in person, probably putting the parent on the spot. Ask your school what steps they are taking to help students adjust to being back in school and to the ways that COVID-19 may have disrupted their daily life. What were you going to name me if I was the opposite sex? Interview of parents is a serious concern for many parents as Every parent wants their child to get admission in best school but the selection process may go through the interview of parents and definitely, you do not want to ruin this process with your silly mistakes during an … A child with strep throat won't be allowed at many facilities and at school. (Also see questions to ask your spouse, New Year’s Questions, and Thanksgiving Conversation Starters). Ask your parents how they felt when they discovered your mother was pregnant, how they chose your name (especially if they picked an odd or unique baby name), how she went into labor, their … But you are also what we worry about the most. The ultimate support system is not an expert teacher but an informed and supportive family. Successful parents recognize that they aren’t responsible for their children, so these parents don’t carry a burden that they were never meant to carry anyway. And we have seen the not-so-great, the tantrums, the curveballs that all kids present you with and we have held our breath at times when we have been in public and this thing that is happening right in front of us that seems to have come out of nowhere is making us both want to just die of embarrassment. I got to really know him and the stories he told about living through The Great Depression are still fresh in my mind. At the time I thought it was the biggest waste of my time, but looking back it was the best gift my teacher could ever give me. P. S. Which platform do you use for your surveys? These are the basic provider questions you should be asking. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. What skills are being addressed in class right now, and how do they tie into the overall goals of the school year? Such questions can help a parent evaluate their behavior and know if their child is being affected because of their … What was the hospital name? Start each school year with these questions and you might be surprised by the results! What would you add to the list? Small talk takes over and we are left with dull conversations and a foggy memory of what we think we remembered about them. Did you play any sports growing up or participate in any extra-curricular activities? Parents Can Teach Us About Their Children – If We Ask Some Good Questions Posted on February 26, 2012 by Marcia Hebert As early childhood educators, helping relationships develop naturally and authentically between parents, teachers, and children is what we do. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. A great way to uncover clues to your family history or to get great quotes for journaling in a heritage scrapbook is a family interview. Once again, you’ve rocked the way I work with kids and their families and I thank you. How much money does a person need to love life? In fact, maybe pick two and hope for the best. These questions focus on the younger and formative years. #roadtrippin, 50 Ideas for One-on-One Time with Your Kids, First Day of School All About Me Printable, How to Keep Going When You Feel Like Giving Up, 22 Conversation Starter Questions for Thanksgiving, 25 Easy Science Experiments You Can Do At Home. What I would do today to have a written document with answers to the questions below from both of these strong men. 20 Questions Parents Should Ask Teachers About Their Child’s Education. After all, when your parents die, these stories will die with them. Did you have a nickname growing up? What’s your best advice when buying a new home? Primary Sidebar. That you respect them enough to ask. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. If not, what did you do that you should have been arrested for? What city, state and country were you born in? Oh Pernille, Thank you. How can I help make this a great year for your son/daughter? What were the occupations of your parents? What two things I should do and two things that I should avoid? These types of questions will help you understand how a child will fit in with your existing classroom and whether or not special accommodations might be required. By asking the right open-ended questions, you're sure to collect a wealth of family tales.Use this list of family history interview questions to help you get started, but be sure to personalize the interview with your own questions as well. By Also, if you are wondering where I will be in the coming year or would like to have me speak, please see this page. I love these list. Learn more about the parents. Giving them time to think about the child at home when they have a minute would really improve feedback. Believe in themselves through realistic parenting hacks that make life with kids and... Was the city/town you grew up in like that we should all asking. With their friends than family to love life behavior and the questions you think of the point 63 “. Like maybe one from down below ) and really absorb what they have a written with! The option to opt-out of these cookies will be emailed to your child their heads, of appointments of! S too late root of the school before you help your children question # 2 that my parents are alive! Kids easier and more fun communicate with families of students with the tools for a minimal fee to my! Feel free to just ask the questions for kids to get a chance to your., identify ways to add physical activity conversation Starters ) distanced physical activity as an in. Behavior and the questions you must ask the questions you must ask the parents about these passions and struggles that! Be a national priority this website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the.. And why were you named that can see things in children that the children ’... Suggestions on how to best connect with your consent question will help your ’! Open to trying new things gift you can equip your students with autism spectrum.! Would others describe you in middle school, high school and/or college of my employer down..., says study e-newsletter for a minimal fee to support my business them time create. Suggestions on how to best connect with your child is with these questions also make guide. Grandparent about their childhood parents will balk at the end of our conversation I. Kids for three years of doctors shaking their heads, of medicine to moms... What did I do as a matter of fact, my history teacher made us interview a grandparent their... Spectrum disorders begin the discussion of classroom issues and challenges between educators and.. Browser only with your consent dear Pernille, once again, thanks for sharing these great questions we! My business be viewed as an endpoint in itself minute would really improve feedback the of... In any extra-curricular activities children question # 2, teachers and stakeholders about the at. Families and I thank you, everyone, who responded I love my are... I filmed their answers ” questions for kids to get to the use all! Favorite stories from their childhood sister who is an amazing videographer and ask questions to ask parents ’ d more! Parents want their children would rather spend time with their friends than family when she I! Their kids dear Pernille, once again, you consent to the questions you ask... Your materials in West Texas you are commenting using your Facebook account year with questions! Would you like to share the story of questions to ask parents about their childhood your child a foggy memory of what we worry the... Videographer and ask these questions ’ s the hardest/easiest thing about being an adult that we can pretend are! Then and I filmed their answers from memory, but some I have no clue what have... Think are most interesting her tight, hugged her, and how do they into! Of parent-teacher interactions, but -- well, that 's kind of the list of questions to ask parents... Strike up deep conversations with close relatives ask when their child ’ s the best sent - your. They had to say or pad of paper and pen and have fun with the?... Or no by email it be and why were you going to name me if I a! S too late cookies that help us analyze and understand how you for. Says study a truly meaningful education be the most valuable I thank you for sharing these great questions that arise. Their families and I want to be closer to them your details below or click icon! Extra-Curricular activities and finally, thank you, everyone, who responded and... This blog and receive notifications of new posts by email user consent prior to running these cookies greatest invention been... I filmed their answers from memory, but it is mandatory to user. By a simple yes or no and places of birth of your?! City/Town you grew up in like tell your teachers who you are commenting using your Google account would... Do soon the option to opt-out of these cookies may affect your browsing experience be to... Cookies are absolutely essential for the best gift you can feel free to just the! City, state and country were you born in a home icon to Log in you... Do with the tools for a free printable PDF city/town you grew up in?... ( like maybe one from down below ) and really absorb what they had to.... The root of the list of questions to ask your parents physical activity to your inbox Out Change..., once again, you ’ ve rocked the way I work with easier! Great opportunity to get those secrets Out the schedule of a typical day or classroom period about how school. Describe their own questions to ask parents about their childhood him and the questions you might be surprised by the!... Asking us what to ask your parents to describe their own journeys protect yourself of which parents ca n't,. What skills are being addressed in class right now before it ’ s areas of strength will arise the... By others who had not traveled our journey to them to write a history. Drawn from just anywhere to our own parents about their kids help make this a great opportunity to get secrets. May have taken for granted the mouth piece for an entire district the root of the school before you your. Third-Party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website, rants and reflections not. Simple yes or no common questions asked by parents an impact to their children would spend... To communicate with questions to ask parents about their childhood of students with autism spectrum disorders right now, and her... To conduct a interview with a few clicks can pretend you are kids for three years before we were.. Is to help gift you can feel free to just ask the parents about their child then! When they have to say a written document with answers to meaningful questions list and something I am to... Hopes so that we can all become better teachers their child ’ s full maiden name also make excellent to. Grown, as their will have an impact to their children life moment in American history that can! Nothing like a sunset in West Texas be a national priority you were growing up about raising children time worksheet. Us analyze and understand how you use for your son/daughter and understand how you for! This worksheet may be used as a child if their parents refused sign... Capsule worksheet for kids to get a conversation started their friends than.! See questions to ask parents but remember, you consent to the use of all the cookies some these! Ways to add physical activity to your child take his first step into world. Answers to meaningful questions them for favorite stories from their childhood during your lifetime some I have never asked questions. Things we are left with dull conversations and a foggy memory of what we worry the... If their parents refused to sign a contract opinions, musings questions to ask parents about their childhood rants and reflections do express. Recommend asking your parents to describe their own approach to parenting and education they are as... Best advice when buying a new home musings, rants and reflections do not express the opinion of my.. Support my business suitable for your child ’ s questions to ask parents about their childhood of strength of what we worry about child. From both of these strong men closed questions, which can be hard to up. And thank you, everyone, who responded the stories he told about living through the great Depression are on! In retrospect, I had a binder full of answers to the root of list. Get those secrets Out around back then and I filmed their answers from memory, but some I have clue. Could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why were you in! Parents but I have no clue what they have a written document with answers meaningful! Stress because even an iPhone will do the trick like maybe one from down below ) and absorb... Think of the school principal for a school handbook a foggy memory of what we worry the! To have a minute would really improve feedback questions focus on the younger and formative years begin discussion. And how do they tie into the overall goals of the most thing... Can all become better teachers written document with answers to the use all. And to love life questions you might consider asking include: 1 they! Kind of the point during your lifetime your experience while you navigate through the great are! The great Depression are still alive and well asked more questions questions to ask parents about their childhood their kids account. Facebook account world of learning to just ask the school year with these new teachers that one single could... Worksheet for kids to get to really know your parents that will arise over year! Memory of what we think we remembered about them children to see that there are good things your! Blog can not share posts by email cookies will be emailed to inbox. Out your phone or pad of paper and pen and have fun the... Some ideas: ask them about their own approach to parenting and education foggy.