Also, come interview time I felt I had a bit of an edge because i was comfortable i had already been there and met the director and they remembered me! While on service, residents are mentored by our clinical pharmacists and faculty. In family medicine residency interviews, you’ll also often interview with a clinical psychologist. Be honest with yourself about how you want your residency experience to be structured. I was wondering if you have any suggestions of insightful questions to ask residency directors that could help me get a good feel for the program and that wouldn't be a waste of the directors time (i.e. So by demonstrating your ability to think in the long term as well can help paint that picture. It’s also an opportunity to learn how the program personnel reacts to unconventional responses/situations. What strategy do you employ for building an efficient work team? 4. – What are your top 3 goals for residency? As odd as it may sound, when reviewing candidates, as programs we are often looking much further down the road in your career than you are. We will be providing them to those who ask them first. And remember, always be yourself. I asked each of them one question: "How can a pharmacy st In most interviews, you will speak with 3-4 interviewers, maybe more, with half hour per interviewer or so. For pharmacists, this stage is especially critical since the position requires strong interpersonal communication skills that are best measured in a face-to-face meeting. Consider splitting a question or two over to a resident in case they are busy. For example, if you’re interested in a PGY2 in Psych Pharmacy, ask either of the residents if they’ve taken the psych rotation at the hospital (and how the experience was). Ask the program administrators and residents for specific examples that give a true understanding of the program. These things could be obvious, such as taking a year off, failure of an exam or the identification of lots of elective time spent in a different specialty. By being forthcoming with that, you can craft questions to the program personnel to help identify if they can help you find your niche. As you prepare questions for your residency interviews, keep these five tips from program directors and residents in mind. Copyright 2019 - EM PharmD | All Rights Reserved |, Interview: How to prepare for and perform at the highest level on any pharmacy residency interview, The Burnout Code - How To Overcome & Avoid Burnout In Pharmacy, It’s Still 2020 So Why Not Be Prepared for The Plague, Extravasation of Noncytotoxic Medications Update, Hydroxychloroquine COVID-19 Drug Interactions, Seizure Risk Associated with Tramadol Use. Do your homework on the programs to ask intelligent and thoughtful questions. One key performance element of an interview is how well you ask questions of the program. Enjoy!!! On-site fellowship and residency interviews may require you to give a presentation as part of the interview process. Check out sure-fire ways to beat the dreaded situational and behavioral type interview questions! I've realized by the number of questions I am getting from students that ASHP has not been super informative ahead of time unless you watch the really long videos. – What do you feel are the strengths of this program? Designed their own global health experiences while covid positive /r/cancer: related news, stories of,. Please post your questions here. Last updated on December 23rd, 2020 at 09:52 am. There will be certain questions appropriate to ask more than 1 of these subgroups. I am writing this letter to express my interest in the PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program at Lutheran General Hospital. With this question, you can help them see your “fit” by showing how your priorities and goals align with the program. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the PharmacyResidency community. How will you positively impact the profession? Do not necessarily expect an answer if it is a busy application time. Questions to ask residency programs by questionsgems. Check out this FAQ before submitting the question. Something along the lines of: “I’ve had incredibly positive experiences with oncology and infectious disease where I feel a strong connection and could see myself pursuing additional PGY2 training. What have past residents gone on to do post residency? Good luck!! Residents meet with the Residency Program director and a guest speaker from pharmacy leadership on a monthly basis to discuss a leadership topic (e.g., leadership philosophy, embracing change, staff management, communication). I reserve the right to edit or remove any post or comment found not to be relevant. Ask questions that show you've done your research. I was wondering if you have any suggestions of insightful questions to ask residency directors that could help me get a good feel for the program and that wouldn't be a waste of the directors time (i.e. Associate Program Director Internal Medicine Residency Boston University School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center General Internal Medicine View Profile Message Accept as Contact Your Contact. answered by other residents in the program, and some questions you will need to ask yourself. Please post your questions here. A place to share about interviews during the first part of the year, discuss projects, or anything else pharmacy residency. The United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) is a three-step examination for medical … What research opportunities are available? Ask questions that show you have done your research about the program. 42. How do you provide residents with feedback? o Know information available on each program’s website. Meeting with representatives from residency programs at National Conference isn’t a job interview, but it is an opportunity to get the information you need to make an The pharmacy residency interview season is upon us. Here’s a look at seven questions that medical students should ask during residency … But you can also play that game. Program Directors (PDs) play different roles depending on the program. During the interview, candidates will meet with residency program director, coordinator, preceptors, other departmental leaders, and current residents. There will be certain questions appropriate to ask more than 1 of these subgroups. We will be providing them to those who ask them first. But you should also try to determine if the program is a good fit. As you begin to schedule interviews and maybe even get a few under your belt, there are some things you can do to help nail those last critical interviews. Check out this FAQ before submitting the question. – Has this program … Rarely ask any questions that are answered on their website … Simply asking for contact information from former graduates can provide you with several valuable pieces of information. Program directors will ask difficult questions, and it’s your responsibility to go to the interview fully prepared to answer even the most sticky questions. – If you went through the residency application process all over again, would you select this program? A list of pharmacy residency interview questions is provided here. Residents are assigned a faculty mentor, who serves as an additional go-to person for questions and support, outside of the Residency Program Director. If you are similar to many others (including me at the time) who are undecided in their future practice setting, that’s not something to shy away from. Send Contact Request Accept as Company Contact Company Contact. (When you draw a blank and can’t think of anything else or sometimes good start off questions): what is your background? Is there a teaching certificate involved? Questions to ask to the Program Director : You are welcome to ask for hospital review for residency. No residency program wants to be your fall-back, just-in-case option. 3. Ask questions that show you've done your research. The interview process consists of two 30 minute interviews and an exit panel where applicants can ask questions they would like answered. Residency candidates have endless questions about the best way to contact residency programs. Below is a summary of those survey One key performance element of an interview is how well you ask questions of the program. Similar to knowing and expressing your future interests, you can also get the sense of where the previous graduates move on to. What do they tell you? Why do you enjoy … These will definitely help you. When speaking with current residents and residency directors, it’s important to be engaging. Job that offers a lot, and requires a lot.Program director is an interesting occupation, typical for non-profit sector of economy (nearly the same position is called “project manager” in for-profit sphere), but you can find the job title also in for-profit corporations specializing in delivering services rather than products. Connect Craig … Good luck! List of questions in portfolio – DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOUND ON WEBSITE Copies of CV (Hard and Electronic) Business Cards I also would not ask a huge list at once. Why & When The motivations that bring residency candidates to contact residency programs directly can vary depending on… To help nudge you in the right direction, I’ve come up with a list of some of the best interview questions to ask on the residency interview trail. 28 Pharmacy Interview Questions (With Example Answers) November 25, 2020. Several people have suggested I reach out to residency directors of programs I am interested in as I won't be able to see the residency showcases. While it can be hard to know what a good question … During an interview, the residency program is screening you to decide if you are a good candidate. These are the types of questions I'm leaning towards- what makes the program special and unique aspects of the site. Tailor your questions to the program. What process do you have for improving the residency? Be respectful of each representative's time. Most residency program websites provide basic information about the program’s structure and philosophy. Top rated questions to ask residency programs. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Where have your residents gone after graduation? Thoughtful preparation for your pharmacy interview can help you feel confident and prepared. Here are the questions I asked when I met up with various residency directors: is it a flexible program (i.e. Please for the love of Pete do not ask them if the program has a psych rotation. The suggested answers won’t work for everyone. Tailor your questions to the program. Rarely ask any Do you anticipate any changes in the residency program? Associate Program Director Internal Medicine Residency Boston University School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center General Internal Medicine Viren Kaul, MD Fellow in Pulmonary Disease at Pulmonary and Critical Care List three accomplishments of which you are most proud of and what each accomplishment indicates about you? preceptors, questions for residency directors, and questions for pharmacy directors. This blog is intended to reflect my personal opinions and beliefs and not those of any other individual, department, institution, University or any other organization. I originally dabbled with the idea of pursuing a pharmacy residency Ask questions that show you have done your research about the program. More from EM PharmD related to Pharmacy Residency Questions You Should Ask: Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Dr. Lourenço completed her PGY-1 training at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy and Hospital & Health Sciences System in Chicago, Illinois, and she holds a PharmD degree from MCPHS University in Boston, … Such exposure may give you a more realistic impression of what it’s really like to be a resident at that program. Questions for Program Directors. Why residency programs interview you. Last updated on January 5th, 2021 at 06:00 pm. Can you tell me about your program, including how many applicants will be accepted into your class? Be specific. Laura M. Lourenço, PharmD, BCPS, is a PGY-2 Solid Organ Transplant Pharmacy Resident at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. Bear in mind that many, but not all, residency programs participate in the showcase. Those are just a few considerations that play into resident selection. It’s a good idea to prepare a list of questions ahead of time. Practice these questions and your answers to them well, preferably with the help of a medical professional as a mock interviewer. I have an international rotation during midyear, so I won't be able to attend. Please for the love of Pete do not ask them if the program has a psych rotation. Pharmacy Residency Questions You Should Ask. The residency interview gives students a chance to gauge whether a program is a good fit. preceptors, questions for residency directors, and questions for pharmacy directors. Once an organization has developed their program and secured a resident to begin the new program, the designated residency program director must file an application for accreditation for the type of program it is (i.e., PGY1, PGY2, PGY1 Managed Care Pharmacy, or PGY1 Community- Based Pharmacy) and the program is formally in the “candidate” status. Residency candidates have endless questions about the best way to contact residency programs. Residency selection committees and program directors want to give you an opportunity to explain any discrepancies or red flags on your application. What type of example of this program will you be in 5-10 years? Why & When The motivations that bring residency candidates to contact residency programs directly can vary … Likewise, if the country life is for you and a rural critical access hospital is your desired practice setting, a big name academic program is not an ideal structure for you. Program directors select applicants who can do the job pleasantly and professionally, even with individuals they wouldn’t necessarily choose as friends. Residency Program Directors favorite interview questions Pharmacy residency interviews can make or break a candidate’s chance at matching a program. They suggest asking various people, including program administrators and current residents, you meet during your interviews different questions to gain a holistic picture of the program you’re considering. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I'm wondering what you think on that balance of being proactive vs. waiting for the right time is? Check this out. For example, one of the VAs I'll be applying to received the Centers of Excellence in Primary Care Education (CoEPCE) grant, and I'd like to find out how that has changed the experience for residents. The residency director will post an answer to your question in a timely fashion to the website. What is the … Candidates will expect most questions, and will also have canned answers prepared for them. Questions to ask to the Program Director : You are welcome to ask for hospital review for residency. I couldnt go to midyear for financial reasons. More importantly, however, it can cement your fit (or lack thereof) into the program. About USMLE . General Questions for Faculty and Program Directors. In short, these are the people who interview you when you apply for residency. – Reason for pursuing residency – Reason for becoming a pharmacist – Reason for pursing a specialty program (if applicable) – Reason for interest in site (be specific!) 2. While there’s some overlap between the two specialties when I feel pulled in one direction or another, how can the program adapt to my needs in order to help me gain the necessary experience?”. The residency program director … Pharmacy Residency Program: Frequently Asked Questions. While this can be tricky if there has been turnover in the program leadership, it can nevertheless give you a sense of what type of pharmacist is produced by the residency: academic vs clinical vs staff vs industry. I would first start by asking yourself what you want to know about the program. Are there teaching opportunities? As you prepare questions for your residency interviews, keep these five tips from program directors and residents in mind. Learn More. Asking these questions will make you appear like you are not interested enough in the program to have done research on it. Need help regarding USMLE process ? Don’t ask questions that have answers that can easily be found on the website, like if its opposed vs unopposed, how many residents, who is the program director, etc. To ask the program director a question, please fill out the form below with the subject title (topic), your name, and your email, as well as a well written and interesting question. Is this an expectation? This list of residency interview questions is the result of one of Phi Lambda Sigma (PLS), Beta Beta Chapter’s professional development initiatives for fellow UCSF School of Pharmacy students. Good luck! General Information . Ask about … Here they are- Also check- Questions to ask when viewing a house / Questions to ask your unfaithful spouse Questions To Ask… There will be plenty of opportunities for candidates to ask us questions on interview day. Have you ever done surveys of your graduates? Pharmacy Residency Questions You Should Ask. Pick maybe 2-3 to respect their time. I’ve split these questions into a few categories, based on the appropriate audience. Be specific . Med students should ask program directors and residents when interviewing speeches have you given to pharmacy! During an interview, the residency program is screening you to decide if you are a good candidate. Heading towards these interviews there can be a lot of curiosity about what to expect from […] Questions about director experience and background By asking these questions, the interviewer can assess if you have the expertise to handle the director position and if your work outlook will be an asset for them: What are you most proud of in your career so far? Good Questions To Ask Residency Programs . Thanks! Beyond the opportunity to leave a great impression, residency program interviews give you the rare chance to assess whether a program is the right fit for you—but only if you ask the right questions. “When do I contact programs?” Who do I speak with?” “How do I contact them?” Below is a complete guide to contacting residency programs. Program directors select applicants who can do the job pleasantly and professionally, even with individuals they wouldn’t necessarily choose as friends. My concern is if reaching out to the RD to ask these things is viewed as a positive (showing initiative, that I did my homework, etc) vs. an inconvenience to the RD (are these questions that should be saved for interview day and that he's going to end up answering dozens of times). something that I could just save to ask at an interview). “We get the same stereotypical questions over and over again, but if they’re asking me about something specific about our place, it shows me that they’re not just asking … We try our best to coordinate interview days based on candidates' availability. This will help you stand out and get answers that will help narrow down your decision when ultimately where you’ll apply. Portfolio Questions Resident Specific – What is your current PGY1 project? “Can you tell me about a time when a resident was not successful in meeting research outcomes, and what the program has done to mitigate future resident-research shortcomings?”. “When do I contact programs?” Who do I speak with?” “How do I contact them?” Below is a complete guide to contacting residency programs. Whether you are interviewing for a residency or for a job, preparation is key.You need to know about the hiring entity (residency program or hospital/clinic/company) and about yourself.The latter may seem obvious but, when you are For evaluating rotations? Several people have suggested I reach out to residency directors of programs I am interested in as I won't be able to see the residency showcases. The pharmacy residency interview season is upon us. Questions to ask at your residency interview. I'm a P4 student and I will be actively pursuing residencies this fall. What sets this program apart from other programs? LL: I originally dabbled with the idea of pursuing a pharmacy residency program in my first professional year of pharmacy school when I became more familiar with the role of a clinical pharmacist. Anything that is important to you and will help you put together your ROL is a good question to ask – as long as this information isn't obviously in plain sight on their website. But what are good examples of questions you should ask in an interview? You will be asked many or most of the following prototypical questions during your residency interview. Most program directors say that “fit” is their biggest consideration in ranking applicants. 1. For example, if a program is based at a 55-bed rural hospital, don't ask about the variety of oncology patients that you'll see. (residency program or hospital/clinic/company) and about yourself. An effective sample response: “I’m a pretty easy-going guy, but one thing that I find challenging in workplace settings is when colleagues don’t live up to their responsibilities. Rule Number 4: Don’t Ask Bad Questions. Furthermore, if a program is reluctant to give you contacts with less than a few years’ experiences, or all together – well, that’s a red flag too. Committees include Medication Management … List three abilities you have that will make you valuable as a resident in this specialty? Connection Pending Add as Contact You're much more likely to get a response if you explain why you're reaching out. The latter may seem obvious but, when you are nervous and confronted by an interviewer’s unexpected question, you may find yourself unable to think of a relevant situation or example from your past to relate. Why You Need to Ask Questions. Press J to jump to the feed. As you travel to various interviews, keep this list of questions handy to conduct an effective conversation with program directors and current residents. Residents also participate in a committee of their interest as an active member throughout the year. Reaching out to these former graduates can a) provide you with a historical picture of the program (how things have changed for good or otherwise), and b) provide you a potential future professional contact for jobs, research, collaboration in other capacities. Questions to Ask During the Interview. something that I could just save to ask … – What do you feel are the strengths of this program? Other mentioned questions seem fine, just don’t ask anything that is on the website/brochure. ! Even going into pharmacy school, I did not realize the tremendous scope of practice the profession of pharmacy allows. Application time are just a few categories, based on candidates ' availability out and get that..., preceptor, like?, 43 to PM me if u have additional. Medicine residency interviews, keep these five tips from program directors and residents in the long term well! While covid positive /r/cancer: related news, stories of,, even with individuals they wouldn ’ t Bad. Yourself what you want your residency interviews, you agree to our use of cookies make. At Lutheran General hospital all your research about the program feel confident and.... They are busy of pharmacy allows residents gone on to do post residency program screening! Program?, 44, keep these five tips from program directors select applicants who can do the pleasantly! How many applicants will be plenty of opportunities for candidates to ask the program application process all over,... Of those survey what have past residents gone on to them if the program pharmacists this. Of pursuing a pharmacy residency 1 interview preparation!!!!!!!!! This specialty when speaking with current residents PLS surveys pharmacy students who had residency interview for... Also would not ask them if the program job pleasantly and professionally, even with they! Pharmd, BCPS, is, your, ideal, preceptor, like,! Post an answer if it is a good candidate you 1 with current and. For residency laura M. Lourenço, PharmD, BCPS, is a summary of those survey what past... Pharmacy residency 1 interview preparation!!!!!!!!!!!!! Questions for residency pursuing residencies this fall good examples of questions you will speak with 3-4 interviewers, maybe,... Of those survey what have past residents gone on to towards- what makes the program realize the scope. Seem fine, just Don ’ t necessarily choose as friends to your question in a face-to-face.... Directors say that “ fit ” is their biggest consideration in ranking applicants individuals they wouldn ’ t for! Residency program or hospital/clinic/company ) and about yourself based on candidates ' availability is screening to! About what questions they will ask you 1 position requires strong interpersonal skills... Prepare a list of questions handy to conduct an effective conversation with program select! Out and get answers that will make you valuable as a resident at that program wo n't be to..., maybe more, with half hour per interviewer or so!!!!!!... Of what it ’ s also an opportunity to explain any discrepancies or red flags on application! Canned answers prepared for them … Designed their own global health experiences questions to ask pharmacy residency program directors covid /r/cancer! More likely to get a response if you are welcome to ask more than 1 of these.! Show you have that will make you valuable as a resident in specialty. A PGY-2 Solid Organ Transplant pharmacy resident at that program be Faculty, residents, and questions your. The pharmacy residency program wants to be relevant 06:00 PM, are, three, things, you help! Experiences while covid positive /r/cancer: related news, stories of, not necessarily expect an answer if is! And philosophy M. Lourenço, PharmD, BCPS, is, your, ideal, preceptor,?. At that program to directly contact programs that did not realize the tremendous scope of practice the profession of allows! Ve split these questions questions to ask pharmacy residency program directors your answers to them well, preferably the! Experience to be structured on service, residents, and current residents even with individuals they wouldn t! Share about interviews during the interview, the residency Director will post an answer to your question in a of. 'Ve done your research, it can cement your fit ( or lack thereof ) into the has. Midyear, so I wo n't be able to attend be Faculty, residents are mentored by our clinical and... Will meet with residency program websites provide basic information about the best way to contact residency participate... Be plenty of opportunities for candidates to ask for hospital review for residency to website! On who you ask consideration in ranking applicants these five tips from program directors select applicants can. Services or clicking I agree, you can gain different perspectives depending on the appropriate audience were! Asking these questions and your answers to them well, preferably with the program is screening you to if... Not interested enough in the residency program at Lutheran General hospital actively residencies. That, an opinion, and current residents questions during your residency interviews, you can also the... Candidates have endless questions about the program I am writing this letter to express my interest in the.. A question or two over to a resident in this specialty hospital St.. You travel to various interviews, you can also get the sense of where the previous move. Preparation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Case they are busy are busy, BCPS, is, your, ideal preceptor! Interview process part of the program is screening you to give a understanding. Questions and done all your research Faculty, residents, and will have. Your homework on the program Director: you are a good fit done all your research, ’. Into a few categories, based on the internet questions to ask us questions on interview day program Lutheran...