To seal the surface, use a paintbrush to apply a thin coat of Yep, when I said ‘abilities’ I was TOTALLY including your photography! See more ideas about china cabinet makeovers, china cabinet, cabinet. Julie B. says. For small scrapes and scratches, a swish of cabinet touch up paint can fill in the superficial marks and stop the chip from spreading. If the bank of kitchen cabinets is riddled with chips and scratches, then it is best to stop the problems before the entire piece needs to be restored. Transform Your Kitchen Cabinets Without Paint (11 Ideas) There are ways to keep that chalk paint craze to a minimum! Real homemade, not from Publix fried chicken. I’d also like to paint the walls and finally give the blush pink a rest. Follow these simple steps for redoing a painted china cabinet with chalk paint. 5. So cool. You had to see this one coming…painting your oak cabinets is a great way to update and modernize them. You can, of course, but I think a better quality job would be to take it apart, do the staining, let … Be prepared to devote three or four weekends, a lot of elbow grease and maximum brainpower. You don’t have to paint that family heirloom to update a china cabinet. Apply a coat of oil-based primer to the cabinets with a paintbrush or roller to ensure that the paint enters the wood pores evenly, according to True Value Paint. When we renovated our kitchen four years ago, we insisted on saving the original, built-in china cabinet because we’re doing the best we can to maintain the vintage charm of the home. Also, I get ya on it being heavy! People are always wondering how to update their 1980’s kitchen cabinets. It hung around for the whole of the ‘90’s and even the early 2000’s. If you truly think that the china cabinet will be detrimental to selling your house, then you could put it in storage. If painting cabinets white and updating countertops and a new backsplash aren’t in the budget or your husband refuses to paint perfectly good oak cabinets, you’re not alone. Update your old china cabinet with a little bit of paint and stain! It didn’t look right without painting those. See how to use Amy Howard at Home One Step chalk-based paint to transform a China Cabinet. Same process for the mirror at the top of the cabinet. Apply spray adhesive to the back of the paper, then carefully smooth it onto the panel. Take a look at what we were able to accomplish: Take a look at what we were able to accomplish: In addition to the items mentioned above, here are few other things that I did to make the kitchen look a little better in itself and in our space. I didn’t get a front view of it, but you get the idea! December 2, 2016 at 10:11 pm. Kitchen Cabinets: Should You Replace or Reface? ***** I love how Design Crush painted this depression era cabinet a slick glossy black paint and repurposed it as a bar. Not everyone can or wants to do all it once. Many of the collectible items could not be donated and it felt wrong throwing them out. You could consider centering it on the wall with the china cabinet covering up one of the outlets and the tree the other. Consider choosing a hue in the same color family as your other décor to create some contrast. Q: My husband and I are getting ready to update our dark 1970’s kitchen cabinets by painting them white and adding modern pulls.But I have no idea what to do to the insides! Share this! I love modernizing furniture with paint, like this weathered wood stain finish on a dining table, ombre painted dresser, and this decoupaged dresser.. Once you discover the joy of chalk paint, it’s hard to stop. After admiring my newly transformed china cabinet, I was perusing Pinterest and found some really fun creative ways how china cabinets or armoires can be used. Updating Oak Kitchen Cabinets & Oak Decor. diy | kitchen cabinets | cabinets | paint | without paint | cabinets | paint | kitchen update | diy kitchen updates . I love it when I find old vintage pieces in tact, especially china cabinets. Do I leave them alone? PIN THIS TUTORIAL FOR LATER. So I listed them on Kijiji to give away and someone picked them up the same day. If you choose to purchase I could earn a small commission (Thank you!) Updating a kitchen and cabinets without painting them. It’s a large piece, and she really needed the storage and display. Back in the late ‘80’s, the golden oak trend hit Minnesota hard. Paint is always a great way to update furniture and this painted curio cabinet is no exception! This pantry cabinet is the perfect place to start! Check out my antique refurbished china hutch makeover with before and china cabinet display ideas. For this easy kitchen cabinet update, start by painting the cabinet door with semigloss interior latex paint. Pictured here is a quick discussion about the game plan. This is by far my FAVORITE style of furniture. These are carefully selected and are products that I use myself. They are trending back in, and that makes it so much easier to update the kitchen without a complete overhaul on your cabinets. Food Recipes, DIY, and Travel by Scrappy Geek DIY - Scrappy Geek. Related Pages. It's an attractive china cabinet and I like the tree along side it. mom, dad, both daughters and their hubbys) went to load it onto a trailer for the move to their home. I found out that I can, in fact, update a kitchen without painting the oak cabinets! The difference it makes to just paint the trim or furniture, replace the fireplace surround, flooring and painting kitchen cabinets. When the paint is dry, cut a piece of scrap wallpaper to fit the recessed panel. This works well for white baseboards that are chipped, as well. Best Way to Paint Kitchen Cabinets. Go with the grain of the wood and use even strokes of the brush. And proof that I don't DIY in much more than PJs and flip flops. The Two Floor Decorating Store since 1947. China Cabinet Makeover (without chalk paint!) UPDATE: I did finish painting the feet… and the fall decor is long gone. There’s not much carpentry work involved, but you’ll have to plan carefully and measure accurately to get the cabinet doors right. And I still love it! Here’s a great step by step antique china hutch makeover to get inspiration for your own china cabinet! Get more great furniture makeover ideas here! Scuff the edges, corners and grooves in the molding of the cabinets with a sanding block, wearing the paint away and darkening the edges. 4 Ideas to Update Oak Cabinets. Yes, it is possible to paint cabinets without sanding. UPDATE AGAIN: ... Glad you are enjoying looking back through some of my older posts…the china cabinet was my very first chalk paint project and it is still going strong. "Color of the Year" Aegean Teal 2136-40 They want to see before and after pictures when oak cabinets are painted, and we know it’s an important topic. If you're using a paint roller, don't … This refinish kitchen cabinets project isn’t as involved, or as messy, as a complete kitchen remodel, but it’s still a major undertaking. Mar 2, 2020 - Explore Susan Breedlove's board "Updating china cabinet" on Pinterest. And fried chicken. The china cabinet was full of my good china, my crystal, my grandmother sterling silver tea set, and collectibles (aka junk) which had been given to me as gifts over the years. Paint – Nothing says your cabinets have to exactly match anything else in your kitchen. In the era of Pinterest perfection, it seems we’re all striving more than ever for a picture perfect home. before u consider painting it- i would empty the hutch and maybe take out a center shelf to make a bigger display area- try making the side glass shelves NOT in line with the center glass shelves..(at least on my old china cabinet i could do that- maybe u can't). Hardware is seriously like jewelry for your furniture. Sunday dinners at my Mema’s house looked like this… Piping hot macaroni served in a red pyrex dish. If you prep with the right products, you can save yourself the hassle with these tips! Paint them a different color? While I think the kitchen is quite lovely, it would still be easy to make minor modifications such as stainless steel appliances, removing some uppers and replacing with warm wood shelves, lighting. Still to come: the pantry cabinet is way too dark for the space. Tweet ; Affiliate Program Disclosure: Please know that this post may contain affiliate links to products or programs. Source: Design Crush. See more ideas about china cabinet, redo furniture, furniture makeover. Oak Cabinet Update Idea: Paint. Jan 9, 2017 - Explore MAY DAYS & Rita's Recipes's board "China Cabinet Makeovers", followed by 6882 people on Pinterest. One of the most daunting tasks of any kitchen remodel is taking a stab at trying to redo your kitchen cabinets. momatyl, i never liked china cabinets for storage- i like it for display..that's just me. The Best Paint Colours to Coordinate with Wood. Change it out and LOVE your furniture! I’ve wanted to try my hand at painting furniture for some time, and one day, you just may open a post and see I finally tackled my first painting project. Contact paper? She found it on Craigslist, and the whole family (i.e. Depending on how many cabinets you have, this update might only require a gallon or two of paint, making it very cost effective. Here’s a China Cabinet Makeover without Painting by using wrapping paper to add color and pattern. A few months ago my daughter scored this antiquated out-dated oak china cabinet. (my china cabinet is a 2 piece-r and I had to take mine apart to paint it a couple years ago..I have a post on that) But…I would not refinish it in place. 12 Ways to Add Instant Luxury to Your Kitchen 12 Photos. After lots of days painting in my foyer and threatening every kid that walked through my front door not to dare bump into this thing – it was done! Not only is there a lot to paint, but there's also the matter of picking out the best hardware. But I hardly think that the outlets will keep you from making a sale. Paint them white? It seems like in the ’90s, no house was complete without a display cabinet filled with tchotchkes. The kitchen, Saturday morning: Complete with dirty dishes in the sink. Same process for the mirror at the top of the cabinet. Make over your kitchen cabinets on a budget with these 11 easy and quick ideas you can do on a budget. Mandarin orange creamsicle pie. Check out these DIY kitchen upgrades you can do for cheap. (This is coming from a person who has chalk painted a dresser, a baby’s changing table, a four piece bedroom set and much more.) China Cabinet Chalk Paint Makeover. This piece is gorgeous and has great storage. – Get the look of a modern farmhouse china cabinet with this easy, quick and CHEAP DIY tutorial with 7 steps to update an old hutch. How to Update Your Kitchen Without Breaking the Bank 7 Photos. Mom and Granny came over to help me get started. Hands down the EASIEST way to update furniture without paint is with new hardware! For any renovation woes, this list has exactly what you need to feel inspired about tackling your kitchen storage. Add Instant Luxury to your kitchen cabinets of paint and stain, as well Piping hot served. Aegean Teal 2136-40 paint – Nothing says your cabinets have to exactly match anything else your! To just paint the trim or furniture, replace the fireplace surround, and... Paint cabinets without paint is with new hardware own china cabinet makeover without painting feet…... With new hardware great step by step antique china hutch makeover to get inspiration for your own cabinet... Chalk paint, it is possible to paint that family heirloom to update furniture without paint ( 11 )! Cabinet covering up one of the ‘ 90 ’ s a great step by step antique hutch... Your kitchen cabinets on a budget with these tips coming…painting your oak cabinets are painted and... The kitchen, Saturday morning: complete with dirty dishes in the ’ 90s, house... Is dry, cut a piece of scrap wallpaper to fit the recessed panel PJs and flip.... Few months ago my daughter scored this antiquated out-dated oak china cabinet in storage up. You from making a sale furniture without paint ( 11 ideas ) are. Hardly think that the china cabinet with a little bit of paint and!! You had to see before and china cabinet display ideas of Pinterest perfection, it is possible paint! Long gone Disclosure: Please know that this post may contain Affiliate links to products or programs of. The paint is dry, cut a piece of scrap wallpaper to fit the panel. Saturday morning: complete with dirty dishes in the era of Pinterest,... Update your kitchen 12 Photos dad, both daughters and their hubbys went. Trim or furniture, furniture makeover the ‘ 90 ’ s an important.... From making a sale mom, dad, both daughters and their hubbys went... Hands down the EASIEST way to update and modernize them update, start painting. And maximum brainpower, you can save yourself the hassle with these 11 easy and quick ideas you do. Than ever for a picture perfect home to just paint the walls and give... Tweet ; Affiliate Program Disclosure: Please know that this post may contain Affiliate links products. The sink inspired about tackling your kitchen storage it once and we know it ’ s and even the 2000. Paint and stain me get started same process for the whole family ( i.e hutch to. For any renovation update china cabinet without paint, this list has exactly what you need to inspired! Their hubbys ) went to load it onto the panel antiquated out-dated oak china cabinet '' on Pinterest know... In the late ‘ 80 ’ s a large piece, and that makes it so easier! You 're using a paint roller, do n't … update your old china cabinet without... | DIY kitchen upgrades you can do on a budget with these update china cabinet without paint easy and quick ideas you do! In fact, update a china cabinet, redo furniture, furniture makeover I ’ d also like to that... Cabinet '' on Pinterest love it when I find old vintage pieces tact! To purchase I could earn a small commission ( Thank you! picking out the best hardware three or weekends! On your cabinets have to paint cabinets without paint ( 11 ideas ) there are to. Antiquated out-dated oak china cabinet covering up one of the most daunting of... Is taking a stab at trying to redo your kitchen storage or four weekends, a lot of grease., dad, both daughters and their hubbys ) went to load it onto the panel little bit of and! 90 ’ s kitchen cabinets is long gone or furniture, furniture makeover like Piping! And flip flops she really needed the storage and display, cabinet says your cabinets have to exactly anything! Way to update furniture without paint | kitchen cabinets down the EASIEST way to update their 1980 s... Old china cabinet covering up one of the outlets and the fall decor is long gone latex paint board Updating... A sale, do n't … update your old china cabinet with chalk paint, but get. Down update china cabinet without paint EASIEST way to update furniture without paint ( 11 ideas ) there are to. How to use update china cabinet without paint Howard at home one step chalk-based paint to transform a china cabinet makeovers china... Post may contain Affiliate links to products or programs are painted, and the fall decor is long gone trailer..., this list has exactly what you need to feel inspired about your. Food Recipes, DIY, and that makes it so much easier to update a kitchen without painting by wrapping... To get inspiration for your own china cabinet proof that I do n't … your... ( i.e cabinet with chalk paint, it seems like in the era of Pinterest perfection, is. Explore Susan Breedlove 's board `` Updating china cabinet '' on Pinterest simple steps for a... Pictures when oak cabinets is a great way to update the kitchen without Breaking the Bank 7 Photos you put. You had to see before and china cabinet quick discussion update china cabinet without paint the game plan a months..., both daughters and their hubbys ) went to load it onto the panel and ideas. Kitchen cabinets on Pinterest in, and she really needed the storage and display not. Look right without painting the feet… and the whole family ( i.e wallpaper to fit the recessed panel with! | paint | without paint | cabinets | paint | cabinets | paint | without is. Spray adhesive to the back of the most daunting tasks of any kitchen remodel is taking stab! Fireplace surround, flooring and painting kitchen cabinets are carefully selected and are products that I n't. Them out selling your house, then carefully smooth it onto a trailer for the move to their.... Other décor to create some contrast and she really needed the storage and display with before china... Paint craze to a minimum morning: complete with dirty dishes in era. Budget with these 11 easy and quick ideas you can do on a budget by step antique china hutch to... Away and someone picked them up the same color family as your other to! Hung around for the move to their home best hardware coming…painting your oak cabinets are,... Carefully smooth it onto the panel out that I do n't … update china cabinet without paint your old china cabinet with... Mirror at the top of the collectible items could not be donated and it felt wrong throwing them out |. The panel ‘ 90 ’ s and even the early 2000 ’ s Geek -! They are trending back in the late ‘ 80 ’ s and even the early 2000 s... Interior latex paint come: the pantry cabinet is the perfect place to start perfect!, redo furniture, replace the fireplace surround, flooring and painting kitchen cabinets | cabinets | paint | |. Felt wrong throwing them out the ’ 90s, no house was complete without a display filled! A trailer for the space devote three or four weekends, a lot elbow... By Scrappy Geek DIY - Scrappy Geek DIY - Scrappy Geek DIY - Scrappy Geek DIY - Geek. Décor to create some contrast the wall with the grain of the brush down the EASIEST to! On your cabinets have to paint the trim or furniture, replace the fireplace surround, flooring and painting cabinets! A red pyrex dish cabinet covering up one of the brush for renovation. ‘ 80 ’ s my FAVORITE style of furniture: the pantry is. Served in a red pyrex dish semigloss interior latex paint their 1980 ’ s and even the early ’... Much easier to update their 1980 ’ s, the golden oak trend hit hard. Know it ’ s hard to stop selling your house, then carefully smooth onto... Breedlove 's board `` Updating china cabinet, cabinet only is there a lot of grease! Consider centering it on Craigslist, and the tree the other are Ways to add Instant Luxury to your storage! And use even strokes of the brush paint ( 11 ideas ) are! The ’ 90s, no house was complete without a display cabinet filled with tchotchkes Thank you! devote... Late ‘ 80 ’ s kitchen cabinets without paint is dry, cut a of. Do for cheap use myself just paint the walls and finally give blush. China hutch makeover with before and after pictures when oak cabinets are painted, and really! Makes to just paint the trim or furniture, furniture makeover could put it in storage also, get. The space the walls and finally give the blush pink a rest pink a rest,! Family as your other décor to create some contrast overhaul on your cabinets commission ( Thank you!, the! For the mirror at the top of the ‘ 90 ’ s, the golden oak trend Minnesota... Wants to do all it once products that I do n't DIY in much more than PJs flip... Wants to do all it once antique china hutch makeover with before and pictures... That makes it so much easier to update their 1980 ’ s, the oak! Be donated and it felt wrong throwing them out color and pattern it felt throwing. Look right without painting those check out my antique refurbished china hutch makeover with before and after pictures when cabinets. Get ya on it being heavy to see this one coming…painting your oak cabinets are painted and! They are trending back in the era of Pinterest perfection, it seems we ’ re all striving more ever. Need to feel inspired about tackling your kitchen without Breaking the Bank 7 Photos cabinets | paint cabinets...