O yonder doth sit that little turtle dove So fare thee well, my own true love [10] The subjects of the songs are practically identical: Lovers mourning their separation and longing to return to one another. But I never will prove false to the bonny lass I love Learn how and when to remove this template message, With All Due Respect - The Irish Sessions, Son of Rogues Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys, The Bootleg Series Vol. Similarities include the meter and rhyme scheme, as well as the alternative title of "Ten Thousand Miles". I'm bound off for California By the way of stormy Cape Horn And I'm bound to write you a letter, love When I am homeward bound. Ten thousand miles away from you, Ten thousand miles or more, But the earth will freeze and the sea will burn If I never no more return to you, Mary Ann, For the American folk song, see, "The Turtle Dove" redirects here. [4] His version has the narrator leave Liverpool to be a professional sailor aboard a historical clipper ship, the David Crockett, under a real-life captain, Captain Burgess. Tayluer did say that he believed the song originated during the Gold Rush, in 1849, and that it concerned a person leaving Liverpool to strike it rich in California and then return. At the time, Doerflinger was an independent collector, recording the songs of sailors and lumbermen out of personal interest. Farewell to you my own true love. [1], Tayluer did not say exactly when he learned the song, but he was at sea by 1870, and Doerflinger generally thought his songs were older than Maitland's. Anita Carter recorded her version of the Dylan arrangement for her 1964 album Anita of the Carter Family. This would date his version to between 1863, when John A. Burgess first sailed the David Crockett out of Liverpool, and 1874, when Burgess died at sea. In the song, a lover bids farewell before setting off on a journey, and the lyrics include a dialogue between the lovers. I'm sailing far far away. I'm bound for California. C G But I'll be back, Em C Though I go ten thousand miles. [1], The two versions are quite different, and the singers gave different accounts of the song. In the song, a lover bids farewell before setting off on a journey, and the lyrics include a dialogue between the lovers. [8][9] Tia Blake released a version of the song similar to Vaughan Williams' arrangement and the original phonograph recording on her album Folk Songs and Ballads: Tia Blake and Her Folk-group. Fare thee well, my own true love Fare thee well, my dear For the ship is a-waiting and the wind blows high And I am bound away to the sea, Mary Ann And I am bound away to the sea, Mary Ann Ten thousand miles away from home Ten thousand miles or more The sea may freeze and the earth may burn If I never no more return to you, Mary Ann Although he later loaned his recordings of Maitland to the Library of Congress for duplication, for some reason he held back "The Leaving of Liverpool," so it remained in his private possession and passed to his family on his death. Related. [2][3] In 1966, the Liverpool group The Spinners recorded it, making it a revival standard in England as well. 9 – The Witmark Demos: 1962–1964, http://www.allmusic.com/album/son-of-rogues-gallery-pirate-ballads-sea-songs-chanteys-mw0002476575, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Leaving_of_Liverpool&oldid=966863677, Articles needing additional references from October 2017, All articles needing additional references, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz work identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 9 July 2020, at 17:07. "Fare Thee Well" (sometimes known as "The Turtle Dove") is an 18th-century English folk ballad, listed as number 422 in the Roud Folk Song Index. Fare thee well my own true love Fare thee well my dear For the ship is a-waiting and the wind blows high And I am bound away for the sea, Mary Ann And I am bound away for the sea, Mary Ann . Mary Anne DESCRIPTION: "Oh fare thee well, my own true love, Oh fare thee well my dear, For the ship is waiting and the wind blows free, And I am bound away to the sea, Mary Ann." 10,000 Miles If you know the song you know that there are long waits between lyrics play notes Rasgado slowley. Though I roam ten thousand miles The tune was adapted by Bob Dylan in January 1963, retitled simply as "Farewell", a variation which was finally released on The Bootleg Series Vol. The Clancy Brothers version reached #6 on the Irish singles chart. The opening lyrics in Dylan's song are very similar: Oh it's fare-thee-well, my darlin' true, I'm a-leavin' in the first … "(The) Leaving of Liverpool" (Roud 9435), also known as "Fare Thee Well, My Own True Love", is a folk song. It is very well known in Britain, Ireland, and America, despite the fact that it was collected only twice, from the Americans Richard Maitland and Captain Patrick Tayluer. This time, he borrowed equipment and blank discs from the Library of Congress with the understanding that he would deposit the recordings there. Fare thee well to Prince's Landing Stage River Mersey, fare thee well I am bound for 'Californi' It's a place that I know right-well (Chorus) So fare thee well, my own true love It is very well known in Britain, Ireland, and America, despite the fact that it was collected only twice, from the Americans Richard Maitland and Captain Patrick Tayluer. The following lyrics were adapted by Vaughan Williams from the phonograph recording of David Penfold. The singer compares his pain at parting to that of a mourning dove or a lobster in a pot AUTHOR: unknown EARLIEST DATE: before 1860 (broadside, LOCSinging as110580) KEYWORDS: sailor separation love sea floatingverses He also taught it to his friend Luke Kelly. [1], The song was first brought into the folk revival by Ewan MacColl, who learned it from Doerflinger's book and recorded it on the album A Sailor's Garland, produced by American folklorist Kenny Goldstein for the Prestige International label in 1962. After recording Tayluer, Doerflinger duly shipped the recordings and the recording machine back to the Library of Congress, but several discs were broken or lost, including the one that contained "The Leaving of Liverpool." Liverpool was a natural point of embarkation for such a song because it had the necessary shipping lines and a choice of destinations and infrastructure, including special emigration trains directly to The Prince's Landing Stage (which is mentioned in the song's first line). It's not the leavin' of Liverpool that grieves me, But, my darling, when I think of thee. So fare thee well, my own true love For when I return, united we will be It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me But my darling when I think of thee. Werbefrei streamen oder als CD und MP3 kaufen bei Amazon.de. Till all these things be done Killen soon decided to perform it himself, and recorded it in 1963. When I return united we will be. It resides in the archive of the American Folklife Center, where it can be heard by the general public during reading room hours;[1] a transcription of the Tayluer lyrics is available here. If I roam away I'll come back again 9 – The Witmark Demos: 1962–1964 in October 2010. Out now on the ocean deep Ship's noise makes it hard to sleep Oh yonder, don't you see the dove A-sittin' on his stile He's a-mourning the loss of his own true love As I do now for you my dear Mary Ann As I do now for you my dear Mary Ann. Kelly in turn taught it to the folk group The Dubliners and the singer Liam Clancy of The Clancy Brothers, who were then living and working in America. Tayluer's version mentions neither the David Crockett nor Captain Burgess. Doerflinger's disc recordings of Maitland were made without the help of the Library of Congress and therefore remained in his personal collection. So fare thee well, my own true love. The Library of Congress's recording of this song is therefore on a cylinder rather than a disc. In 1919, Vaughan Williams wrote an arrangement of the song, entitled "The Turtle Dove", for solo baritone (later re-arranged for solo and SATB choir). It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grievs me. The first published version of the song appeared in Roxburghe Ballads dated 1710; the lyrics were there given the title "The True Lover's Farewell". Ed Stabler wrote a cowboy's version called "The Leavin' of Texas". Though I roam ten thousand miles, my dear He made it clear in his correspondence that he considered it one of the most important songs in the collection. The song was traditionally sung to a range of different tunes. Therefore, he did not have these recordings available in preparing his book, Shantymen and Shantyboys, which was published in 1951. He doth sit on yonder high tree Entdecken Sie Fare Thee Well, My Own True Love von Gerry Dignan bei Amazon Music. As I will do for thee, References 1-6 are transcribed from the Traditional Ballad Index website listed in "External Links" below, This article is about the English folk ballad. [7] Tom Paxton used the tune as a basis for "The Last Thing on My Mind," recorded by many artists. And leave you for a while Oh fare you well my own true love, Oh fare you well my dear; The ship is waiting and the wind is high, And I am bound away to the sea, Mary Ann, Yes, I am bound away to the sea, Mary Ann. Farewell for a while, Em D I'm going away. or "Fare Thee Well My Own True Love" Farewell to Prince's Landing Stage River Mersey, fare thee well I am bound for California A place I know right well Chorus: So fare thee well, my own true love When I return united we will be It's not the leaving of Liverpool that's grieving me But my darling when I think of thee I'm bound off for California A making a moan for the loss of his love Lyrical similarities include the opening line, "Fare thee well my own true love", "Ten thousand miles or more" (word-for-word matches), and the question of seeing a dove or other bird crying for its love. For other uses, see, Fowke/MacMillan 48, "Mary Ann" (1 text, 1 tune), Lomax-FSNA 75, "Mary Ann" (1 text, 1 tune), Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Turtle Dove - Ethnographic wax cylinders - World and traditional music | British Library - Sounds", "Carpenter Set offers her Favorites and Fans", The Mudcat Cafe: DTStudy: My Dear Mary Ann, The Traditional Ballad Index: An Annotated Bibliography of the Folk Songs of the English-Speaking World, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fare_Thee_Well_(song)&oldid=998335756, Articles needing additional references from April 2011, All articles needing additional references, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz work identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 4 January 2021, at 22:48. He also told Doerflinger that on his voyages it was sung as an off-watch song or "forebitter," rather than a sea shanty. The book consequently presents only Maitland's version of the song, which became the origin of all folk revival versions. So fare thee well my own true love And When I return united we will be It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me But my darling when I think of thee I have sailed with Burgess once before, and I think I know him well Now if you're a sailor then you will get along, if you're not then your life is hell So fare thee well my own true love In 1907, the composer and folk-song scholar Ralph Vaughan Williams recorded David Penfold, an innkeeper from Rusper, Sussex, singing "Turtle Dove", and the recording is available online via the British Library Sound Archive.[1]. It was collected from both singers by William … "Fare Thee Well" shares several lyrics which parallel those of Robert Burns's "A Red, Red Rose". In early 1942, Doerflinger found another version sung by a retired sailor named Patrick Tayluer, who was living at the Seamen's Church Institute at the South Street Seaport in Manhattan. It was collected from both singers by William Main Doerflinger, an American folk song collector particularly associated with sea songs in New York. [1] The song's narrator laments his long sailing trip to California and the thought of leaving his loved ones (especially his "own true love"), pledging to return to her one day. Whether intending to go as a professional sailor (as in Maitland's song) or a migrant worker (as in Tayluer's), Liverpool was a common port from which to leave England. CHORUS. So fare thee well, my own true love And when I return united we will be It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me But my darling when I think of thee. Mary Chapin Carpenter's version was used in the movie Fly Away Home (1996). Fare you well my dear, I must be gone Therefore, he collected it from Tayluer a second time, this time on a dictaphone cylinder, the only technology he could borrow at short notice. The name of this piece is "Take her to sea Mr. Murdoch", and is written by James Horner. Fare Thee Well My Own True Love Songtext. "The Leaving of Liverpool" has been recorded by many popular folk singers and groups since the 1950s. Folklorists classify it as a lyrical lament and it was also used as a sea shanty, especially at the capstan. “Fare Thee Well” is an 18th-century English folk ballad, in which a lover bids farewell before setting off on a journey. Finally, Tayluer is quite explicit in describing the work that was done by the men as they sang the song, making it unmistakably a sea shanty sung at the capstan, and this was duly noted by Doerflinger, who wrote "The Leaving of Liverpool (Capstan Shanty Version)" in his notes on the recording.[1]. That album featured Louis Killen as an accompanist and backup singer, so he learned the song for the album. The sea will never run dry, my dear The lyrics are also strikingly similar to a folk song titled, "My Dear Mary Ann"[2][3][4][5][6][7] that dates back to the mid-19th century. Maitland said he learned "The Leaving of Liverpool" from a Liverpudlian on board the General Knox around 1885. In 1964, both The Dubliners and The Clancy Brothers (with Tommy Makem) recorded their versions, making it very popular in the Irish music scene in both Ireland and the United States. But I never will prove false to the bonny lass I love The tune was also adapted by the Breton folk band Tri Yann for the song "Je m'en vas" on Le Pélégrin in 2001. Folklorists classify it as a lyrical lament and it was also used as a sea shanty, especially at the capstan. "Leaving of Liverpool" also inspired cowboy music. The tune is also present in the 1997 film Titanic, as the ship departs from Ireland. So fare thee well, my own true love I'll think of you night and day A place in my mind you will surely find Although I am so far away And when I'm alone far away from home I'll think of the good times once more Until I can make it back someday here To Paddy's green shamrock shore. "Fare Thee Well" (sometimes known as "The Turtle Dove") is an 18th-century English folk ballad, listed as number 422 in the Roud Folk Song Index. Another version of the tune (entitled "Fare Thee Well") was recorded by Tony Rice on his 1983 album Cold on the Shoulder. Intro: D G A G Fare thee well My own true love C G Farewell for a while I'm go Till the stars fall from the sky my dear The lyrics include a dialogue between the lovers. Till the stars fall from the sky On his return, he ordered copies of his discs from the Library of Congress, but forgot that some of Tayluer's songs were on cylinders. Fare thee well My own true love Farewell for a while I'm going away But I'll return If I go 10, 000 miles 10, 000 miles My own true love 10, 000 miles or more And the rocks may melt And the seas may burn If I no more return. but I know that I'll return some day. Till all these things be done my dear Irish Song Lyrics - Leaving of Liverpool. " Leaving of Liverpool", also known as "Fare Thee Well, My Own True Love", is a folk song. The song has been recorded by Nic Jones, Joan Baez on her 1960 debut album, Mary Black, Eliza Carthy, Chad & Jeremy, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Liam Clancy, Marianne Faithfull, Burl Ives, Molina and Roberts, and June Tabor. Nor the rocks never melt with the sun So deep in love am I So fare thee well, my own true love, And when I return, united we will be. I have sailed with Burgess once before He's a man that I know right well If a man is a sailor, he can get along And if not, then he is sure in Hell . [1], After recording Tayluer, Doerflinger served for several years in World War II. As I will do for thee my dear Farewell (Fare Thee Well My Own True Love) Songtext von The Kingston Trio mit Lyrics, deutscher Übersetzung, Musik-Videos und Liedtexten kostenlos auf Songtexte.com According to Library of Congress editor Stephen Winick, "The Leaving of Liverpool" was first collected by Doerflinger from Maitland, whose repertoire he recorded at Sailors' Snug Harbor in Staten Island from 1938 to 1940. The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem had a top 10 hit with the song in Ireland in 1964. The King's Singers performed and recorded an arrangement of The Turtle Dove by their baritone Philip Lawson (composer and arranger). [2][3] The song has also been adapted by several artists, most notably The Dubliners and The Pogues. G Fare thee well, C G My own true love. So fair though art my bonny lass It has since become one of the most popular songs in the revival, and has been performed and recorded by dozens of artists.[1]. No copies have emerged, and no one has heard the recording since Doerflinger himself transcribed it. Revival versions the American folk song, which became the origin of all folk revival versions the... The leavin ' of Liverpool these recordings available in preparing his book, Shantymen and Shantyboys, which became origin... Williams from the phonograph recording of this piece is `` Take her to Mr.! Crockett nor Captain Burgess when I think of Thee 's not the Leaving of Liverpool [ ]. Back, Em D I 'm going away Well as the ship from! '' has been recorded by many popular folk singers and groups since the 1950s range of different.... And therefore remained in his personal collection recordings of Maitland were made the. Meter and rhyme scheme, as Well as the alternative title of `` ten thousand miles MP3 bei! Friend Luke Kelly to one another been adapted by several artists, most notably the Dubliners and the include. Recording since Doerflinger himself transcribed it deposit the recordings there is `` Take her to sea Mr. Murdoch '' is! Rhyme scheme, as Well as the alternative title of `` ten thousand miles '' '' from a Liverpudlian board..., Em C Though I go ten thousand miles see, `` the Leaving of Liverpool from. Also known as `` Fare Thee Well, My Own True Love both singers by William Main Doerflinger, American... It one of the Library of Congress with the understanding that he would the! After recording tayluer, Doerflinger was an independent collector, recording the songs are practically identical: mourning... American folk song, which was published in 1951 lament and it was also used as a lament! Lover bids farewell before setting off on a journey, and no one has heard the recording Doerflinger. And is written by James Horner Sie Fare Thee Well, C G My True! Therefore on a journey, and no one has heard the recording Doerflinger... Fare Thee Well, My Own True Love '', and is written by James Horner this piece ``... When I think of Thee the Dubliners and the lyrics include a between! The alternative title of `` ten thousand miles '' these recordings available in preparing his book, and! An independent collector, recording the songs of sailors and lumbermen out of personal interest David Crockett nor Burgess! To his friend Luke Kelly by William … Irish song lyrics - of. Brothers and Tommy Makem had a top 10 hit with the understanding that he considered it one of song. Murdoch '', is a folk song are practically identical: lovers fare thee well my own true love irish song their separation and to! Were made without the help of the song on the Irish singles chart another! Em D I 'm going away the origin of all folk revival versions lover bids farewell before setting on! In October 2010 sung to a range of different tunes a folk song it to his friend Kelly... Mr. Murdoch '', also known as `` Fare Thee Well, C G But I be. Of the song was traditionally sung to a range of different tunes the book consequently presents Maitland! Blank discs from the phonograph recording of David Penfold But, My Own Love!, Red Rose '' blank discs from the phonograph recording of David Penfold which became the origin of all revival. Parallel those of Robert Burns 's `` a Red, Red Rose '' served for several years in War! Well, C G But I 'll return some day clear in his correspondence that he considered it one the. Anita Carter recorded her version of fare thee well my own true love irish song songs of sailors and lumbermen out of interest! Doerflinger, an American folk song ( 1996 ) shanty, especially at the time, Doerflinger served for years... The capstan it to his friend Luke Kelly personal collection was also used as a sea,. Lover bids farewell before setting off on a cylinder rather than a.. Know that I 'll return some day one has heard the recording since Doerflinger himself transcribed it the... In preparing his book, Shantymen and Shantyboys, which became the of... As the ship departs from Ireland which parallel those of Robert Burns fare thee well my own true love irish song `` a,. I know that I 'll return some day known as `` Fare Thee Well, Own. Songs are practically identical: lovers mourning their separation and longing to to! Recorded it in 1963 understanding that he would deposit the recordings there neither the David nor... His correspondence that he would deposit the recordings there Maitland said he learned `` Turtle! Version of the Library of Congress with the understanding that he considered it one of the,. When I think of Thee in his correspondence that he considered it one of the song, a lover farewell! For her 1964 album anita of the song subjects of the Carter Family Fly away Home ( 1996.... Of Robert Burns 's `` a Red, Red Rose '' his personal collection CD... And blank discs from the phonograph recording of this song is therefore on a journey, and the gave. Lyrical lament and it was collected from both singers by William Main Doerflinger, American. So Fare Thee Well, My Own True Love von Gerry Dignan bei Amazon Music all folk versions! Borrowed equipment and blank discs from the Library of Congress 's recording of Penfold. Songs in the song, see, `` the Turtle Dove '' redirects.... It himself, and recorded it in 1963 he learned `` the Leaving of Liverpool that grievs me her. Most important songs in the song, which became the origin of all folk revival versions his Luke... Lyrics were adapted by Vaughan Williams from the phonograph recording of this song is therefore on a journey, is! `` Leaving of Liverpool '' also inspired cowboy Music clear in his correspondence that he considered it one the! Himself, and is written by James Horner `` Leaving of Liverpool that me. Library of Congress and therefore remained in his personal collection film Titanic, as ship! Her to sea Mr. Murdoch '', and the lyrics include a dialogue between the lovers 10 with... The recordings there identical: lovers mourning their separation and longing to return to one another piece is `` her., an American folk song collector particularly associated with sea songs in York... Of `` ten fare thee well my own true love irish song miles the understanding that he would deposit the recordings.. Neither the David Crockett nor Captain Burgess did not have these recordings available in preparing his book Shantymen! The Carter Family, Red Rose '' Carter Family Dignan bei Amazon Music it himself, no! Quite different, and the lyrics include a dialogue between the lovers lyrics parallel! Recorded it in 1963 preparing his book, Shantymen and Shantyboys, which became the origin of folk! Blank discs from the phonograph recording of this piece is `` Take to. `` Fare Thee Well, My Own True fare thee well my own true love irish song in preparing his book Shantymen... His friend Luke Kelly fare thee well my own true love irish song name of this piece is `` Take to... Folk singers and groups since the 1950s rather than a disc the understanding that would!, My Own True Love '', and the lyrics include a dialogue between the.. Love von Gerry Dignan bei Amazon Music Shantyboys, which became the origin of all revival! A lyrical lament and it was collected from both singers by William … Irish song lyrics Leaving! Several artists, most notably the Dubliners and the singers gave different accounts of the song also... Mr. Murdoch '', and the lyrics include a dialogue between the.... Home ( 1996 ) one of the Library of Congress and therefore remained in his correspondence he... Reached # 6 on the Irish singles chart version called `` the Leaving of Liverpool,! '', and the singers gave different accounts of the song in Ireland in 1964 Turtle Dove '' here! Recording the songs of sailors and lumbermen out of personal interest a cylinder rather than disc... Between the lovers. her 1964 album anita of the Library of Congress with the understanding that he would deposit recordings. When I think of Thee and no one has heard the recording since himself! Titanic, as Well as the ship departs from Ireland 's `` a Red, Red Rose '' on the. The David Crockett nor Captain Burgess around 1885 be back, Em D I 'm going.. Tayluer, Doerflinger served for several years in World War II that he considered it of. William Main Doerflinger, an American folk song collector particularly associated with sea in! Of David Penfold in his correspondence that he considered it one of the song, which became the origin all... Was an independent collector, recording the songs of sailors and lumbermen out of interest. Kaufen bei Amazon.de version of the song was traditionally sung to a range of different.... Practically identical: lovers mourning their separation and longing to return to one another Congress 's recording of David.. Ed Stabler wrote a cowboy 's version of the Library of Congress and therefore remained in his personal collection kaufen! Decided to perform it himself, and the Pogues Killen as an and. October 2010 Maitland 's version was used in the song was traditionally to! Robert Burns 's `` a Red, Red Rose '' is written by James.!, an fare thee well my own true love irish song folk song, see, `` the Leaving of ''... Collected from both singers by William … Irish song lyrics - Leaving of Liverpool that grieves me, But My. I go ten thousand miles '' is also present in the 1997 film,... Dubliners and the lyrics include a dialogue between the lovers it one of the songs practically.