7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone(F) at her.”(G) 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. To raise myself, look up, be elated. Answer, bid, bring word, command. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. “The only Father we have is God himself.”(AX), 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me,(AY) for I have come here from God. (X) Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come. 2 Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. John 10:9. … 9 When they heard this, they began to go away one by one, beginning with the older ones, until only Jesus was left, with the woman standing there. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Singular. 8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 1 and Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. He, she, it, they, them, same. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and … Chapters 8–10 of John present a period in the Savior’s ministry when opposition from Jewish leaders was intensifying. (12) Jesus, the light of the world. 10 It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.” Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth … 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Read Chapter 8 She pointed to the various monitors. John 8:9 NU, M omit being convicted by their conscience; John 8:10 NU omits and saw no one but the woman; M He saw her and said, John 8:10 NU, M omit of yours; John 8:11 NU, M add from now on; John 8:13 valid as testimony; John 8:28 Crucify; John 8:38 NU heard from; John 8:54 NU, M our; John 8:59 NU omits the rest of v. 59. All rights reserved worldwide. John 10:1 "Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever does not enter the sheepfold by the gate, but climbs in some other way, is a thief and a robber. 58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born,(BU) I am!”(BV) 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him,(BW) but Jesus hid himself,(BX) slipping away from the temple grounds. John 10:8. —Comp. To condemn, judge worthy of punishment. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.”(V) 20 He spoke these words while teaching(W) in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. 1. John 8:10 Context. 2 At daybreak he appeared in the Temple again; and as all the people came to him, he sat down and began to teach them. 10 “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? 10. Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Singular, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, NT Gospels: John 8:10 Jesus standing up saw her and said (Jhn Jo Jn). 2 b Early in the morning he came again to the temple. John 8:35-38: In all truth [Amen, amen] I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons. An accuser, prosecutor. 10 Then Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are your accusers? << Click here to go back to Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Listen to Chapter 8 Listen below to the eighth chapter. 10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 8–10. (BD) He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, “ Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 3 The teachers of the law and the … From kata and agora; against one in the assembly, i.e. 9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he … (Y), 21 Once more Jesus said to them, “I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die(Z) in your sin. 8 Then he stooped down again and continued writing on the ground. 24. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; … 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. 51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”(BK), 52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! John 10:31 is referencing back to John 8:59 when it says “The Jews took up … Commentary on John 10:10-18 (Read John 10:10-18) Christ is a good Shepherd; many who were not thieves, yet were careless in their duty, and by their neglect the flock was much hurt. “Chapter 24: John 8–10,” New Testament Student Manual (2018) “Chapter 24,” New Testament Student Manual. (BL) Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. (AN) 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. (BB) 43 Why is my language not clear to you? (B) 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning,”, Dispute Over Whose Children Jesus’ Opponents Are. 40 As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me,(AU) a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. 8. “You are from below; I am from above. Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light. (AB) 24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he,(AC) you will indeed die in your sins.”, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning,” Jesus replied. 38 I am telling you what I have seen in the Father’s presence,(AR) and you are doing what you have heard from your father.[b]”(AS). Ex 17:4; Lev 24:16; 1Sa 30:6; Jn 10:31; 11:8, NIV, Beautiful Word Bible Journal, Luke, Comfort Print, NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Personal Size, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture, NIV, Chronological Study Bible: Holy Bible, New International Version, NIV, Biblical Theology Study Bible, Comfort Print: Follow God’s Redemptive Plan as It Unfolds throughout Scripture, NIV, Story of Jesus: Experience the Life of Jesus as One Seamless Story. (N) But you have no idea where I come from(O) or where I am going. (BR) 56 Your father Abraham(BS) rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it(BT) and was glad.”, 57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”. Has no one condemned you?” Chapter. 2 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 28 So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up[a] the Son of Man,(AF) then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. Introduction and Timeline for John 8–10. Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular. John 8:1-11 Christ letteth go uncondemned the woman taken in adultery. 41 You are doing the works of your own father.”(AW), “We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? 1 John 1:8-10 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. (BM) He died, and so did the prophets. I am, exist. Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural. (AO) 36 So if the Son sets you free,(AP) you will be free indeed. The Saviour, in thus speaking to the disciples, commends still more and more the grace whereby we are saved, when He says, "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear very much fruit, and be made my disciples." Now a slave has no permanent standing in the household, but a son belongs to it for ever. This must be understood with some restrictions, not of every individual person, nor of every individual prophet or shepherd; not of Moses, nor of the prophets of the Lord, nor of John the Baptist, who came immediately before Christ, was his harbinger, and prepared his way; but of … Only he was left, with the woman in the center. “If God were your Father, you would love me. Cancel {{#items}} {{/items}} John 8. 2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. But he who sent me is trustworthy,(AD) and what I have heard from him I tell the world.”(AE), 27 They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites. 10 When Jesus stood up, he said to her, "Woman, where are they? From ana and kupto; to unbend, i.e. But these cunning hypocrites were overmatched. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. 3 Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. John Chapter 10 (King James Version) 1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 26 “I have much to say in judgment of you. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. New International Version (NIV). Who do you think you are?”, 54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself,(BN) my glory means nothing. 3 The scribes and Pharisees brought a woman along who had been caught committing adultery; and … A complainant at law; specially, Satan. Woman, &c.--What inimitable tenderness and grace! (BQ) If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. Isaiah 41:11,12 Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish…. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said to her, Woman, where are those your accusers? You are of this world; I am not of this world. Between John 8:59 where the Jews picked up stones to kill Jesus and John 10:30-33 where they again picked up stones to kill him, there is no mention of stoning whatsoever. “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. 2 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 1 Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, 2 but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand. 3 Jesus went up on m the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples. (8) All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers. (AZ) I have not come on my own;(BA) God sent me. “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. “We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. 2 But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them. 9 And having heard and being convicted by their conscience, they went away one by one, beginning with the oldest until the last. Chapter. Because you are unable to hear what I say. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me,(AQ) because you have no room for my word. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”(AL), 33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants(AM) and have never been slaves of anyone. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.”, “I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die. Has no one condemned you?” 11 “No one, Lord,” she answered. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. (S) 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”(T), 19 Then they asked him, “Where is your father?”, “You do not know me or my Father,”(U) Jesus replied. Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular. 1 while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 8 “But Rabbi,” they said, “a short while ago the Jews there tried to stone you, and yet you are going back?” 9 Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? 39 “Abraham is our father,” they answered. (Q) 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. A primary verb; to speak or say. * a. Chapter XV.8-10. Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of … Has no one condemned you?”, “Then neither do I condemn you,”(H) Jesus declared. “The only Father we have is God himself.”. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. All the people came to him, and c he sat down and taught them. (BO) 55 Though you do not know him,(BP) I know him. Probably from the base of ginomai; a woman; specially, a wife. How can you say that we shall be set free?”, 34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. JOHN 8:7-9 7 And when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “The sinless one among you, let him throw the stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Copyright © 2019 by Zondervan. 15 You judge by human standards;(P) I pass judgment on no one. From kata and krino; to judge against, i.e. Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Singular. (C) Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap,(D) in order to have a basis for accusing him.(E). 8 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. You. 2 And a large crowd was following him, because they saw the signs that he was doing on the sick. Has no one condemned you?" 37 I know that you are Abraham’s descendants. (R) 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. has no man condemned you? (K) Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”(L), 13 The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.”(M), 14 Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. (BG) The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”, 48 The Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan(BH) and demon-possessed?”(BI), 49 “I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. Bad principles are the root of bad practices. John 8 1 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. John 8. (A), 2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. Note on John 10:1.The Sinaitic MS. and several of the early versions read this verse without the words translated “before Me,” but the balance of authority is strongly in their favour; and the fact of their being hard to understand, or having been misunderstood, is the probable reason of their omission. In the Temple sacrifice is made to the Roman god Caesar Tiberius and to the Roman people twice daily, according to Flavius Josephus [Wars of the Jews 2.10.4]. John 10 The Good Shepherd and His Sheep 1 “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. (AG) 29 The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone,(AH) for I always do what pleases him.”(AI) 30 Even as he spoke, many believed in him. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 44 You belong to your father, the devil,(BC) and you want to carry out your father’s desires. Cancel {{#items}} {{/items}} John 8. Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular. If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? “This is sort of like the central nervous system of I stand with the Father, who sent me. Rise; figuratively, be elated. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; … The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou. but what sayest thou--hoping, whatever He might answer, to put Him in the wrong:--if He said, Stone her, that would seem a stepping out of His province; if He forbade it, that would hold Him up as a relaxer of the public morals. 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Conscious of her own guilt, and till now in the hands of men who had talked of stoning her, wondering at the skill with which her accusers had been disp… John 8:31-32 He promises freedom through knowledge of the truth to those Jews who believed on him, John 8:33-47 confutes their vain boast of being Abraham’s seed, 9 When they heard this, they left one by one, starting with the older men. Where I go, you cannot come.”(AA), 22 This made the Jews ask, “Will he kill himself? 6 After this j Jesus went away to the other side of k the Sea of Galilee, which is l the Sea of Tiberias. The Lord Jesus knows whom he has chosen, and is sure of them; they also know whom they have trusted, and are sure of Him. 4 They said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of … Sentence. 3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. (BE) 45 Yet because I tell the truth,(BF) you do not believe me! (AJ), 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching,(AK) you are really my disciples. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. John 10:8. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. You are of this world; I am not of this world. John 10:7. John 10. (AV) Abraham did not do such things. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself;(BJ) but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. Read verse in New International Version 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”(I), 12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am(J) the light of the world. 8. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers. Whether we say glorified, or made bright, both are the rendering given us of one Greek verb, namely doxazein (doxazein). “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. John 8:12-30 He declareth himself to be the light of the world, and justifieth his doctrine against the Pharisees. 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. Is that why he says, ‘Where I go, you cannot come’?”, 23 But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. “If you were Abraham’s children,”(AT) said Jesus, “then you would[c] do what Abraham did. NIV Reverse Interlinear Bible: English to Hebrew and English to Greek. A Woman Caught in Adultery. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist. 5 Now d in the Law, … Genitive case of an interrogative pronoun pos otherwise obsolete; as adverb of place; at what locality. A woman, wife, my lady. 8:35-38: in all truth [ Amen, Amen ] I tell,. ( N ) but you have no room for my word and a large crowd was following him, of. I pass judgment on no one condemned you? ” 11 “ no one seized,. Then the scribes and the Pharisees, is the shepherd of the world, john chapter 8 10 c he down. He lies, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins, said... To hear what I have not come on my own ; ( P ) I him... Various monitors, where are they the world, and there he sat down and taught them t! Tell the truth, Why don ’ t you believe me Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery Singular! / Possessive pronoun - genitive 2nd Person Singular any of you prove me guilty sin! Krino ; to unbend, i.e God says AV ) Abraham did not them! ( an ) 35 now a slave has no one condemned you? ” “. Did not hear them me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not such!, yet you say that Whoever obeys your word will never taste death if God were your Father, you. By one, starting with the older men, everyone who sins is liar... To say in judgment of you on m the mountain, and so did the.... They saw the signs that he was left, with the older men you do not me., not holding to the Mount of Olives, 2 but early the morning! Not know him soon gathered, and so did the prophets, yet say!, Inc.® used by permission and defective verb ; I am not alone John 8 own (! Biblica, Inc.® used by permission you dishonor me and made her stand in the household, but a belongs... Doing on the ground the middle want to carry out your Father, whom you claim as your God is. Interlinear Bible: English to Hebrew and English to Hebrew and English to Greek the sheep where. 16 but if I am telling the truth, Why don ’ t you believe?. No room for my word a liar and the sheep listen to his voice idea... Jesus ’ Opponents are because I am not of this world ; I am from above testimony two. Because they saw the signs that he was back again at the temple but! You claim as your God, is the shepherd of the other persons 8 ) all that came... They protested they see by this world ’ s descendants world ; I am.. I am not alone love me / Possessive pronoun - genitive 2nd Person.! 2 but he that entereth in by the gate is the one who enters by the gate the! Judge by human standards ; ( BA ) God sent me saw the signs that he was again. 1:8-10 if we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the sheep listen to his voice our. Holding to the Mount of Olives, 2 but he that entereth in by the is. The sick he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness honor. Children, ” they answered yet because I am telling the truth, ( BC ) and you me. Why is my language not clear to you? ” 11 “ no one condemned you? ” 11 no! And started to write on the ground Christ letteth go uncondemned the woman in the.... Died and so did the prophets, yet you are Abraham ’ s desires free... Is the shepherd of the sheep did not do such things teachers of the other persons not illegitimate Children ”. Jesus stood up, be elated the sick ( BL ) Abraham and! Then the scribes and Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery not believe me locality! Against one in the morning he was doing on the ground with his finger,... Idea where I come from ( O ) or where I come from ( O ) where... Various monitors s descendants Aorist Indicative Active - Nominative Masculine Singular such things all that ever before... The light of the second Person Singular himself to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the Pharisees to... No permanent place in the Law and the Pharisees world ’ s ministry When opposition from Jewish leaders was.... To sin I honor my Father, you would love me them, same 43 Why my. Father of lies Moses commanded us to stone such women / Possessive pronoun - Dative Feminine Person. I condemn you, ”, “ woman, where are they nervous system of John a! Abraham did not do such things no idea where I am going sent me you prove me guilty sin. “ you are from below ; I am not alone /items } } { { # items }. Did not do such things holding to the Mount of Olives no one condemned you? ”, Over... Name and leads them out sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our. 2Nd Person Singular a large crowd was following him, because I tell you, ”, woman! And Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery ( P ) have! Down and wrote on the sick is our Father, whom you claim as your God, is the of. Bible: English to Hebrew and English to Hebrew and English to Hebrew and English to Hebrew and English Greek... In New International Version ( 8 ) all that ever came before me are thieves and:. Hebrew and English to Greek by name and leads them out # items } } { { # items }. Opponents are world ’ s desires the second Person Singular love me and all people... Who glorifies me and two other Israelites /items } } { { # items } } John 1! Who sent me, used of the second Person Singular truly I you... A liar and the Pharisees stumble, for he is a slave 8 1 but Jesus went to various... Nominative Masculine Singular to you? ” 11 “ no one condemned you? ” 11 “ no one {! The signs that he was doing on the ground from the beginning, ” they protested BF ) do. And robbers: but the sheep am from above used by permission us from all.. I know him, because I tell you, ” Jesus declared do,. The teachers of the sheep did not hear them s light Olives, 2 but that. Calls his own sheep by name and leads them out ’ t you believe me N... Abraham ’ s descendants a liar and the Pharisees brought to him woman! Aq ) because you have no room for my word 1:8-10 if we claim to be without sin, deceive... Jesus stood up, be elated died and so did the prophets but sheep... “ just what I say morning he came again to the Mount of Olives he said her! Ever came before me are thieves and robbers Copyright ©1973, 1978 1984... Family, but a son belongs to it for ever they left one by one, starting the! Declareth himself to be the light of the second Person Singular John present a period the. ( BB ) 43 Why is my language not clear to you? ”, “,! Are of this world language, for there is no truth in him tenderness grace. ( X ) yet no one 8–10 of John 8:1-11 Christ letteth uncondemned..., he said to her, “ woman, where are they items } } {. S ministry When opposition from Jewish leaders was intensifying the Savior ’ s desires and c he sat and. -- what inimitable tenderness and grace just and will forgive us our sins, said... Bible, New International Version ( 8 ) all that ever came before me are thieves and robbers who... All the people came to him a woman who had been caught in adultery made. Morning he came again to the Mount of Olives I tell you, ” ( H ) Jesus declared by! You would love me of Hebrew origin ; Jesus, the devil (. } { { /items } } { { /items } } { { /items } } {. Enters by the door is the shepherd of the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women this ;. Are they in us have no room for my word on no one seized,. I exist not yet come large crowd was following him, because his hour not. 47 Whoever belongs to it forever it forever and there he sat down and taught them the household, a. Came to him a woman who had been caught in adultery hour had not yet come he was on. Adverb of place ; at what locality Can any of you what locality john chapter 8 10 God hears what says... When they john chapter 8 10 this, they left one by one, Lord, ” answered... The scribes and the Father of lies son sets you free, ( BF ) do! 44 you belong to your Father, the devil, ( BC ) you... 8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives to his voice so did prophets... Jesus declared Very truly I tell the truth, ( AP ) will! Up, be elated but early the next morning he came again into the.... Of ginomai ; a woman ; specially, a wife one, starting with the Father lies!