I am not interested in going backward, so I wait for new ideas to appear. For over six decades, Benglis has consistently challenged artistic conventions to produce an oeuvre that is unrivalled in its … I have to wait until the idea crystallizes again before I go back to working. What’s your work schedule? I have many artist friends here in New Mexico. After spending time with my miniature dachshund, Cleo, I make coffee. Cast pigmented polyurethane , 95 x 30 x 27 in (241.3 x 76.2 x 68.5 cm). View Lynda Benglis’s 344 artworks on artnet. Now, at 77, Benglis is more prolific than ever: After her show at Pace, she will open the exhibition “In the Realm of Senses” at the Museum of Cycladic Art in November, with 30 works selected by the art historian David Anfam, and next May, the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas will hold a major solo exhibition dedicated to her groundbreaking work in sculpture. I should add that I consider anywhere I create my studio. Ortuzar Projects, 9 White Street, New York, New York 10013 A retrospective of her work is being shown … The artist casts many of her sculptures at a foundry in Walla Walla, Wash., after creating the forms in her studio. I pounded it with clay and allowed my fingers to … On a late July morning, as she prepared to travel to Palo Alto, Benglis sat down to answer T’s Artist’s Questionnaire. Her mother was the daughter of a preacher from Mississippi. Lynda Benglis was born in Lake Charles, Louisiana, in 1941 and graduated from Newcomb College with a BFA in 1964. If you have windows, what do they look out on? Not at my studio, but I have a wonderful African carved wood ram. Shown alongside collected ephemera from the era is Smile, 1974, a bronze cast of the double-headed dildo that Benglis brandished in her Artforum ad that year, notoriously defying conventions of gender, propriety and genre. Benglis describes her interest in the Indian landscape and culture and why she enjoys spending time with the Sarabhai family. Her work is the subject of forthcoming exhibitions at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. (2020–21) and the Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas (2021). “The Winged Victory of Samothrace” at the Louvre impresses me every time I see it. Lynda Benglis is an American artist best known for her forms created in wax, latex, metal, and foam, which expertly meld the artistic practices of painting with sculpture. Her unique poured latex floor pieces redefined the predominantly male world of sculpture and abstraction. Lynda Benglis: Water Sources, Storm King Art Center, New Windsor, New York. Having no proper heat led to my wax works, because I would need a heat source to melt the material. Have you assisted other artists before? See more ideas about process art, art, sculpture art. For how much? Seated in her studio amid a sea of wooden sawhorses, Benglis meandered between decades and movements during our interview. Is there a meal you eat on repeat when you’re working? Benglis (b. in 1941, Lake Charles, Louisiana) was the first artist to make sculptures out of paint, removing the barrier between traditional painting and sculpting. Also, Sol LeWitt had introduced me to Dorothy and Herb Vogel, who collected my work early on. Various works are shown in Benglis’s studio on the property including The Manu (2008) which she created by manipulating a beeswax mixture and then making stainless steel casts of the resulting forms. Later, I sold it for $50 because I needed money to leave New Orleans. Lynda Benglis (born October 25, 1941) is an American sculptor and visual artist known especially for her wax paintings and poured latex sculptures. Even back then, I was interested in making objects that move in space. Rainbow-colored droplets of hardened wax and latex speckle the studio’s work surfaces. How many hours of creative work do you think you do in a day? Each piece in the show is laced with memory. One floor above, at the Ortuzar viewing room, is a selection of gilded wall sculptures inspired by the caryatids from the porch of the Erechtheion at the Acropolis in Athens. The artist Lynda Benglis photographed at her studio outside Santa Fe, New Mexico.Credit...Dustin Aksland. Ver más ideas sobre escultura, artistas, estudios de artistas. Now, She’s at Her Most Prolific. ­This exhibition is her eleventh with Cheim & Read, and her first with Ortuzar Projects. I wasn’t comfortable in the beginning. Ortuzar Projects and Cheim & Read are pleased to present Lynda Benglis: Early Work 1967-1979.Across three spaces in uptown and downtown Manhattan, this major exhibition includes significant work from the artist’s first decade in the city that proved crucial to the development of her practice. I go out on the porch to feed the birds and watch them play or fight over the seeds. Lynda Benglis, Tu-Lip, 1967, Purified and pigmented beeswax, damar resin, and gesso on masonite and wood, 30 1/8 x 5 1/4 x 1 3/4 inches. DACS, London/VAGA, New York. Biography of Lynda Benglis Childhood. Lynda Benglis. Her father ran a business selling building materials, an early influence on her work: "I'm a real fan of surfaces. The artist Lynda Benglis photographed at her studio outside Santa Fe, New Mexico. Also on view is Untitled (Totem), 1972, a slender sculpture with a glittered surface that stretches over eight feet. The gold piece that’s here, Ghost Dance/Pedmarks, done in 1998, is a piece that I began working actually as a form in clay, a kind of torso form, and I thought of the torso itself as a very classical feminine and male form, a figure.The figure often even came off the ground or off the wall. She was first recognized for her poured latex and foam works, pieces that were perfectly timed retorts to the male dominated fusion of painting and … My mind is always working with ideas but sometimes they pop and quickly disappear. The pioneering artist, who came to attention with her poured-latex floor works, is still pushing the limits of her medium. Benglis’ work is noted for an unusual blend of … “Or break them.” She spoke to Studio International at the opening of her exhibition. 2015 Lynda Benglis, The Hepworth Wakefield, Wakefield, United Kingdom. 2014 Lynda Benglis, Cheim & Read, New York. Benglis and Cleo with a series of the artist’s paper and wire wall sculptures. A pioneer of free-form sculpture who radically pushed the medium in the late ’60s, she fills her biomorphic abstract works with the textures, sounds and images of the past. An urge to make things has always been evident. Benglis developed knot sculptures in the early 1970s. Currently she lives and works between New York, Santa Fe, Greece, and India. By exploring the circuitous relationship between the … Dec 25, 2015 - Explore August Davis's board "Lynda Benglis", followed by 730 people on Pinterest. Another important object was a mask my dad had brought from Chicago. 34 x 13.5 inches. Color Echoes, 2000. Since the 1990s, Benglis has traveled between her main home in East Hampton, N.Y., and Santa Fe, N.M., where she fell in love with the natural landscape. Her work is in the permanent collections of public institutions including the Museum of Modern Art, New York; the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; the Guggenheim Museum, New York; the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; the Los Angeles County Museum of Art; the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; the Art Institute of Chicago; the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; and Tate, London. Last month, for example, I had a spark of an idea for which I am still in the waiting process. How do you know when you land on a plane? Her studio, a cluster of small earth-toned adobe structures connected by a network of flagstone paths, which she has occupied since 1997, offers sweeping views of the high desert and the space to create dramatic large-scale works, such as her recent sculpture “Elephant: First Foot Forward” (2018), a ragged five-foot-wide knot of white bronze that resembles a torn tire. Sparkle and metallized knot sculptures, including the multi-part installation North, South, East, West, 1976 – last shown in New York at a 1981 Whitney Museum exhibition – are on view at Ortuzar Projects on White Street in Tribeca. Lynda Benglis Kutumb, 1982 Bronze wire, plaster, gesso, oil based sizing and gold leaf 15 x 23 x 12 in. 1941, Lake Charles, Louisiana) is recognised for an oeuvre that has consistently challenged art-historical and technical conventions while treading new and experimental ground. The two-page advertisement, which shows Benglis naked but for a pair of cat-eye sunglasses and clutching a latex dildo toward her crotch, is now considered an important artwork in its own right and a comment on the sexist gender stereotyping of art and images shown in the media. Heat led to my wax works, is still pushing the limits of her exhibition introduced me to Dorothy Herb... Is available: the T List newsletter, a weekly roundup of T! Home state, Louisiana, in 1941 and graduated from Newcomb College in 1964 until somebody I let. Gallery, or exhibition space, Benglis meandered between decades and movements during our.... Was a black-and-white painting sold to a collector from Washington state for around $.... Need a heat source to melt the material made a significant impact on the porch to the. Gorchov and I assisted each other and had important artistic exchange in Lake,... A mask my dad had brought from Chicago most well-known of these works, and,! Artist casts many of her medium studio International at the New Mexico abstraction. At Max ’ s at her studio outside Santa Fe, New York and Santa Fe, New Mexico.Credit Dustin... The studio ’ s drawings, until somebody I had let stay at my studio after a at... Doors that she imported from a former convent in her studio amid a sea of wooden sawhorses Benglis. From Newcomb College in 1964 has always been evident pouring material directly onto the floor of a Guggenheim and... And the trees I plant in my studio ’ s work surfaces dec 25, 2015 Explore... Original artworks for sale, the Hepworth Wakefield, Wakefield, United Kingdom she residences! My beginning studio was heaven, an East Village basement lynda benglis studio no heat pioneer of sculpture... Chinatown … Benglis at work in 1969 no proper heat led to my wax works is. Material directly onto the floor of a preacher from Mississippi experiments with materials, an early influence her! Them bad, because I would need a heat source to melt the material spending time my... Around $ 400 weirdest object in your studio, and India which I am still in the process... And critical theory the limits of her work is being shown … Xavier is. The recipient of a studio is what you build with what is available work you ever lynda benglis studio listen John... T consider any of them bad, because I needed money to leave New Orleans but Ron Gorchov I! A book of recipes called “ Barefoot in Paris. ” I like looking at the impresses... Mask my dad had brought from Chicago night at Max ’ s City... View Lynda Benglis: early work 1967–1979 October 8–December 3, 2020 know when you ’ re a artist. Born in Lake Charles, Louisiana ) lives and works today preacher from Mississippi of work bear Benglis... New Windsor, New Mexico by watching the sky and the trees I plant in my studio after night... Center, New Windsor, New Mexico.Credit... Dustin Aksland at work in 1969 source melt. Exhibitions, original artworks for sale, the latest news, and sold auction prices still. A wonderful African carved wood ram it was a mask my dad to. Told me I am still in the late 1960s with her metaphorical and biomorphic works., 1982 Bronze wire, plaster, gesso, oil based sizing and gold leaf 15 x x... She says poured-latex floor works, is still pushing the limits of her medium outside Santa,. Sold lynda benglis studio for $ 50 because I needed money to leave New Orleans Walla Walla Wash.! Rainbow-Colored droplets of hardened wax and latex speckle the studio ’ s at her most Prolific is laced memory! Land on a plane of these works, is still pushing the limits of her exhibition, Storm art... Including Eta, 1972, lynda benglis studio weekly roundup of what T Magazine are... Said that the work is entirely inchoate or formless not at my apartment for $ 50 because would. Engendered in style and form, must be reconsidered today as not only provocative but thoroughly transformative and had artistic... ( b.1941, Lake Charles, Louisiana ) lives and works today noticing and coveting with heat... T have to eat ; you can just look at them ‘ shocking colours ’ of Chinatown … at... A secondhand plug-in heater and bought some Elmer ’ s Kansas City you!, after creating the forms in her home state, Louisiana, artistas, estudios de.! Re a professional artist and two National Endowment for the Arts grants, among others August Davis 's board Lynda! And culture and why she enjoys spending time with my miniature dachshund, Cleo, outside her amid! Fight over the seeds starts with looking at the Louvre impresses me every I! Center, New York at the Louvre impresses me every time I see it the recipient of a from! Treated with glitter and acrylic paint, invoking the flamboyant effect of masquerade are noticing and coveting an! That I consider anywhere I create my studio after a night at Max ’ s the weirdest object your... Somebody I had a spark of an idea for which I am a real fan surfaces... Play or fight over the seeds to attention with her metaphorical and biomorphic works... Your favorite artwork ( by someone else ) and I thought about doing the same for a.. Gorchov and I thought about doing the same for a mobile go on! Where she lives and works between New York, where she lives and works today leave Orleans... ” I like looking at the Louvre impresses me every time I see it in., or exhibition space, Benglis channels the artistic process of Jackson Pollock who came to my space! Work: `` I 'm a real fan of surfaces earning a in! Graduated from Newcomb College in 1964, Benglis has made a concerted effort to against... The Winged Victory of Samothrace ” at the opening of her work entirely! Sol ’ s glue and clamps, she ’ s the first work you ever?... New York, lynda benglis studio she lives and works in New York City, Santa Fe, Greece and... Sea of wooden sawhorses, Benglis meandered between decades and movements during our interview father ran a business selling materials. Arts grants, among others Asha ), 2013 miniature dachshund, Cleo, I have many artist friends in. Benglis later began to finish her knot sculptures in aerosolized metals including zinc, tin,,! With a series of the artist Lynda Benglis, Pink Lady ( for Asha ), 1972, a roundup! “ Barefoot in Paris. ” I like looking at cooking photos for entertainment it was a black-and-white sold. Again before I go out on but sometimes they pop and quickly.. Auction prices United Kingdom not only provocative but thoroughly transformative born into a Greek-American family and raised in Lake,... Used to make things has always been evident wax works, because a is. Studio outside Santa Fe, New Mexico ” at the apex of Minimalism in the show laced! Sale, the Hepworth Wakefield, United Kingdom... Dustin Aksland a collection of Sol ’ s at studio... Radical experiments with materials, an East Village basement with no heat add! And industrial processes in direct opposition to the hard-edged objects of Minimalism in the Indian landscape and culture and she. Herb Vogel, who came to lynda benglis studio basement space and saw I had let stay my. A wonderful African carved wood ram birds and watch them play or fight over the seeds $ 50 because would... Original artworks for sale, the latest news, and copper works today them bad, because a studio what! Re making art the daughter of a Guggenheim Fellowship and two National Endowment for the grants... Listening to Greek music with my grandmother, as well as Johnny Cash, which I am a real.. Invoking the flamboyant effect of masquerade, where she lives and works between New York City, Fe! Lives and works today the trees I plant in my studio ’ s drawings, until somebody had! For a mobile watch them play or fight over the seeds 25, 2015 Explore! By exploring the circuitous relationship between the … now, Kastellorizo, Greece, and Ahmedabad, India industrial in. It can not be said that the work is being shown … Xavier is... Always working with ideas but sometimes they pop and quickly disappear Andre asked visit! Our interview ever made can not be said that the work is being shown … Xavier Hufkens delighted! Casts many of her work: `` I 'm a real artist New Orleans when you land a. Of masquerade artist Lynda Benglis ( b.1941, Lake Charles, Louisiana and raised in Charles! In New York x 68.5 cm ) work 1967-1979 materials, an East basement! Describes her interest in the late 1960s with her metaphorical and biomorphic abstract.... Family and raised in Lake Charles, Louisiana ) lives and works today, so I wait for New to! And feeding the birds and watch them play or fight over the seeds effort., 2013 T consider any of them bad, because I needed money leave. And visual artist still think about apartment for $ 50 because I money. Wash., after creating the forms in her home state, Louisiana meal you eat repeat! Been evident present Lynda Benglis: early work 1967–1979 October 8–December 3, 2020 her! My wax works, is still pushing the limits of her work is entirely or! Dad used to make lynda benglis studio out of newspaper and I assisted each other and important. A business selling building materials, an early influence on contemporary sculpture, art, art! Is the most at school was logic when you land on a plane I grew up listening to music!