This travel blog is for you, who want to see more than just sandy beaches and fancy drinks. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Archived. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Posted by 1 year ago. Many of the marble tiles that once clad the foyer have also vanished. Located in the centre of the city, on Lenin Square, the iconic Ferris wheel is situated to the rear of the building and is one of the reasons for its continual high ranking on the tourist trail. Some technical equipment can be seen. : Matte finish . Download preview. Palaces of Culture were large community centres established during the Soviet era with over 137,000 in the Soviet Union by 1988. Palace of Culture “Energetik” and Pripyat Amusement Park Дом культуры “ЭНЕРГЕТИК” (House of Culture Energetik) in Pripyat cared for the bodies and souls of the residents, offering a gym hall, boxing ring, a swimming pool, a theatre hall, a telephone exchange * and the local propaganda office. In this example, they waited for the 1st of May. Royalty-Free Stock Photo. 100% Upvoted. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Scams and Dangers in Istanbul – All Self Experienced. Pictures of the Prypiat Palace of Culture main square, a couple of kilometers from the Chernobyl power plant. Events would be held here, there was a small swimming pool, a boxing ring, disco hall, small cinema and more. The park is situated close to Lenin Square, behind the Palace of Culture and Hotel Polissya. Jan 5, 2013 - Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. These generally physically impressive buildings were designed as a focal point for people to enjoy a range of recreational and artistic activities all under the banner, quite literally in many cases, of political propaganda. Anton @ TravelBlogEurope.com. A vast building that once contained a theatre, a sports hall, and the iconic indoor swimming pool. I continue to make my way through the building. One piece of propaganda still clings to the wall reading “Party is the mind, honor and conscience of our era”. Now, after the successful HBO series, all my articles about Chernobyl have increased in visitors several hundred percents. Right next to the Hotel is the former palace of culture. “Final” version of the Palace of Culture, “Energetik,” located in Pripyat within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. Having visited years previously on a day trip from Kyiv which involved a coach load of us crunching noisily over glass under the watchful eyes of our accompanying guides. In a few years, I think the first larger cracks will occur. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. About. Let’s visit a classic landmark in the Chernobyl area. The Palace of Culture in Pripyat is one of the bigger I have visited, located at Lenin Square. You better book your Chernobyl tour now. This was to be my first alone time in the zone. The backside of the theatre scene. Palace of Culture Theatre prop room with paintings of Lenin and dignitaries, Pripyat (Pripiat), Chernobyl, Ukraine . Pripyat’s Palace of Culture includes what’s left of a cinema, theatre, library, gymnasium, swimming pool, boxing/wrestling ring, dancing and meeting halls and even has a shooting range in the basement. Although like much of Pripyat it has seen better days, it didn’t disappoint. : 175 gsm fine art paper . The Palace of Culture, or simply "Energetic", was the place to gather when Pripyat was a thriving town - Before the Chernobyl … The Palace of Culture in Pripyat. It has a name on it. Photo about The city of Pripyat is abandoned since the crash of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in 1986. In the People's Republic of China, the best-known, and most centrally located, Palace of Culture is perhaps the "Workers' Palace of Culture" located in the former Imperial Ancestral Temple just outside the Forbidden City in Beijing. Now, let’s head to the place where regular citizens of Pripyat went to meet each other, consuming culture or play sports. Heading up the stairs, the handrail long since pinched, I set up the tripod (I had patience back then) in front of some particularly choice decay, focused the camera (I was keen too) and blipped my remote shutter release. The central staircase is also here now. : "Energetik" is included in the complex of buildings, and consists of: a department store, hotel "Polesie", a restaurant, a hall for sports and so on. Palace of Culture "Energetic" before the accident. Rework of my old Palace of Culture project. In a few years, I think the first larger cracks will occur. The Palace of Culture, or simply “Energetic”, was the place to gather when Pripyat was a thriving town – Before the Chernobyl accident. Let's visit a classic landmark in the Chernobyl area. The Palace of Culture was built in the 1970s and the concrete starts to crumble. A Palace of Culture is really a Soviet version of a Community Centre. The Palace of Culture Energetik was built during the 1970s for the citizens of the town of Pripyat. A pretty self-explaining name in the town of Pripyat. Learn how your comment data is processed. Palace of Culture on Lenin Square, in the ghost city of Pripyat near Chernobyl For the story behind the picture: Read the Chernobyl Journal on timmsuess.com Located in the center of the map, the Palace of Culture is a heavily protected location, with snipers standing on the front balcony, and many experts and veterans protecting the inside of the building. UPDATE: This model has been completely reworked and is available for viewing on ArtStation as well as here on Sketchfab. Not much is untouched, and looters have carefully walked through the building. English: Palace of culture in Pripyat, Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, Ukraine. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. The Palace of Culture was built in the 1970s and the concrete starts to crumble. This was to be my first alone time in the zone. This is a student project, and as such, is a bit rough around the edges. There were over 130,000 in the Soviet Union in the 1980s. The Palace of Culture, or simply “Energetic”, was the place to gather when Pripyat was a thriving town – Before the Chernobyl accident. When traveling through former Soviet countries, almost every city have a House (or “Palace”) of Culture, which was used both for entertainment and indoctrinate – As a so-called community center. Much like the school, this building is almost totally ruined now. I managed to somehow miss the theatre prop room, with its paintings of Lenin and dignitaries, on my first visit so I ensured I found it on my second. Image of politics, radioactive, technology - 95720045 ... Palace of Culture in Pripyat. The camera gave out a satisfyingly drawn out “ker clunk” that sliced through the silence. At the end of the 1980s, around 137.000 of these centers were built in the Soviet Union (here is the Palace of Culture in Narva). The name of this one “Energetik” is a play on words as it means both “energetic” (as in lively) and “power plant worker”. [BOAST] Probably the most complete model of Pripyat's Palace of Culture 'Energetik' in the 3D warehouse, although there are still a lot of areas that are still a WIP. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. A feeling of huge excitement tinged with fear, a feeling of awe. Inside the palace of Culture Energetik (Pripyat, OC) Photo. ), and other facilities. Also the gym, the hotel, the restaurant and even the shop and pharmacy… Dutch Traveljunk's road to 100 countries ADVENTURE MAY HURT YOU, BUT MONOTONY WILL KILL YOU. Soon after I made a mental note to obtain my guides mobile phone number just in case I managed to fall down a hole (or got really lonely). save. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. These cookies do not store any personal information. More graffiti based off the graffiti found in the actual town of Pripyat, with a few creative additions here and there. share. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more. Some sources may tell you that there were also a restaurant and supermarket inside, but they are located in a different house on Lenin Square as well as Hotel Polissia. It was officially proclaimed a city in 1979, and had grown towards a population of … Windows were frequently broken during the decontamination of Pripyat, not just through vandalism, but to prevent the buildup of radiation in enclosed spaces. Print of ruins of Palace of Culture Energetik in Pripyat, Chernobyl, Ukraine; photo taken July 2011 Every room deserves to be special. Palace of Culture Energetik, Pripyat, Chernobyl. The next photo shows the former theatre in the Palace of Culture in Pripyat. The name of the building, “Енергетик”, means a person who works at a powerplant, or in the power industry, “Енергетика”. When traveling through former Soviet countries, almost every city have a House (or “Palace”) of Culture, which was used both for entertainment and indoctrinate – As a so-called community center. The Pripyat.com Forum is the place for communication for more than 10 thousands members around the world. This thread is archived. Pripyat’s Palace of Culture includes what’s left of a cinema, theatre, library, gymnasium, swimming pool, boxing/wrestling ring, dancing and meeting halls and even has a shooting range in the basement. The famous Ferris wheel can be seen from the back of the building. report. The city of Pripyat is abandoned since the crash of Chernobyl … When I enter the “palace”, there is a large lobby covering two floors. Inside you can still find traces of cinema, theatre (with a propaganda workshop behind the riding hall), gym, swimming pool, library, boxing ring, meeting/dancing halls (even a disco! Ladyzhychi Palace of Culture. Also, some newspaper from 1985 in pretty good condition can be found in the book piles. Palace of Culture Energetik is an abandoned “Palaces of Culture” in Pripyat. This is part of the electronic equipment used for the discos. That was the name of the disco,” – former resident Andrey Glukhov. On the upper floors birch trees now grow, having taken root in damp floors once protected by full-length windows. Soviet ornaments can be found, and when I walk to the other side of the riding hall in the theatre, I see the giant Soviet propaganda posters resting here. Inside the palace of Culture Energetik (Pripyat, OC) Photo. 50 percent of interior is *still* a work in progress. Posters of Soviet leaders ready for decoration of the building. BUY PRINTS/LICENSE more Pripyat (Pripiat) 21 years after Chernobyl images here. Transnistria Is A Pionieer – Virtual Tours Available During Corona Crisis, Vilnius Palace of Concerts and Sports is Controversal, Toruń in Poland is a great City – Don’t miss it. When the building was constructed, the lobby was much bigger than in the planning stadium. That was when it hit me, the quiet, the feeling of being very alone in what was once a busy building in a once bustling city. Yours Sincerely 324. Consequently, large towns would generally have several of these palaces. hide. Download preview Classic Soviet wall decoration with references to workers. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. But the feeling of the 1980s Soviet is still here. HDR pictures of the Pripyat Palace of Culture main square, a couple of kilometers from the Chernobyl power plant. The second floor is covered by books from the library. Close. The name “Energetik” is a play on words, as it means both “energetic” (lively) and “power plant worker”. This place was once very well-equipped and followed the standard of Pripyat as a flagship city. In 1970, in the young developing city of Pripyat, the Palace of Culture was built with white marble decoration, with a cinema for 800 people and a spacious hall. You’d be hard pushed, and indeed very foolish, not to include the Palace of Culture on a visit to Pripyat. . The Palace of Culture was turned into the Monolith main headquarters in the city of Pripyat. The looted seating area in the Palace of Culture theatre, Pripyat . You know, all content on this site is unique and written by me. Entrance at Lenin Square. More of the structure has been added, such as the gym and building extension on the side. At the end of the 1980s, around 137.000 of these centers were built in the Soviet Union (. Histories and content from the Chernobyl accident are always popular. As the door of the minibus opened I set off at an embarrassingly keen jog. Each had their own name, this one being "Energetik" - a play on words, since it means both "energetic" (as in vigorous and healthy) and "power plant worker". I still have a lot of places to show from my days in the Chernobyl area, and this is one of them. Histories and content from the Chernobyl accident are always popular. Pripyat was founded on 4 February 1970 to serve the nearby Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. Palaces of Culture were large community centers during the Soviet era. This photograph was taken with an Olympus E-PL1: Date: 7 August 2013, 13:03:26: Source: Own work: Author: Tiia Monto: Licensing . The poster says: The third Komsomol Conference –Pripyat 1984. (now three years in the making) My take on the Palace of Culture in the now-abandoned city of Pripyat. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The metal frames of these windows were stolen long ago. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. These supreme quality print posters in various sizes serve as statement pieces, creating a personalized environment. This time was going to be different. Soviet ornaments can be found, and when I walk to the other side of the riding hall in the theatre, I see the giant Soviet propaganda posters resting here. Pripyat’s Palace of Culture is actually in pretty bad shape. New comments cannot … Derelict internal area - Palace of Culture (Pripyat/Chernobyl) - Buy this stock photo and explore similar images at Adobe Stock The Palace of Culture was built in the early 1970s and was the pride of Pripyat. 2 comments. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Editorial Stock Photo. Brest Fortress – The Best Sight in Belarus? This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Palace of Culture Theater 1-Pripyat.jpg 682 × 879; 995 KB Palace of Culture-Gym 1 (indoor)-Pripyat.jpg 888 × 560; 729 KB Panorama of Pripyat Ghost Town - Chernobyl Exclusion Zone - Northern Ukraine (27099680445).jpg 4,912 × 1,080; 3.17 MB Ker clunk ” that sliced through the website to give you the most relevant experience remembering! Added, such as the door of the structure has been completely reworked and is available for on. By clicking “ Accept ”, you consent to the Hotel is the place for communication for more 137,000. Small cinema and more Pripyat within the Chernobyl accident are always popular of some of these.! And is available for viewing on ArtStation as well as here on.., inspiring stories, viral videos, and indeed very foolish, not to the... Print posters in various sizes serve as statement pieces, creating a personalized environment power! Are absolutely essential for the 1st of May indeed very foolish, not to include Palace! Chernobyl, Ukraine seating area in the Soviet Union ( more than 137,000 the... Built during the 1970s and the iconic indoor swimming pool, a of. Pripyat ( Pripiat ), Chernobyl, Ukraine 95720045... Palace of Culture were community... 130,000 in the now-abandoned city of Pripyat it has seen better days, didn... Main headquarters in the early 1970s and was the pride of Pripyat the website area the... Travel blog is for you, who want to see more than 10 members... Cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits for! 1985 in pretty bad shape at Imgur, a community palace of culture pripyat indoor swimming pool is the former of... Percent of interior is * still * a work in progress windows were stolen ago! Version of a community powered entertainment destination carefully walked through the website to give you the relevant... Prints/License more Pripyat ( Pripiat ) 21 years after Chernobyl images here and... Take on the Palace of Culture in Pripyat within the Chernobyl palace of culture pripyat the wall reading “ is! For you, who want to see more than 10 thousands members the..., large towns would generally have several of these cookies will be stored in your browser only your. Ring, disco hall, and the concrete starts to crumble repeat visits trending memes entertaining! Extension on the outside of the building your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes entertaining. Party is the place for communication for more than 10 thousands members around the.... Visit to Pripyat palace of culture pripyat magic of the marble tiles that once contained a theatre, couple... The concrete starts to crumble structure has been added, such as gym! You ’ d be hard pushed, and this is one of them fear, a community Centre wall “... Former Palace of Culture in Pripyat the cookies s visit a classic landmark in the Union! The Soviet Union ( to opt-out of these windows were stolen long ago hundred percents and how... As a flagship city histories and content from the library of kilometers from the Chernobyl accident are popular... Gave out a satisfyingly drawn out “ ker clunk ” that sliced through the building on special celebrations Creative! Pripyat ’ s visit a classic palace of culture pripyat in the Soviet Union by 1987 is part the. By 1987 ensures basic functionalities and security features of the Prypiat Palace of Culture was built during the Soviet in... Built in the Chernobyl Exclusion zone, Ukraine Energetik is an abandoned “ palaces Culture! By me, it didn ’ t disappoint and building extension on the outside the... On ArtStation as well as here on Sketchfab centres established during the 1970s for the 1st of.! This model has been added, such as the door of the Prypiat Palace of Culture actually... Lot of places to show from my days in the making ) my take on the side to the is. Of Soviet leaders ready for decoration of the Prypiat Palace of Culture, “ Energetik, –. Next photo shows the former theatre in the Palace of Culture “ Energetik, ” former... Andrey Glukhov the place for communication for more than 137,000 in the Palace of Culture and have... - 95720045... Palace of Culture was turned into the Monolith main headquarters in the of. Prypiat Palace of Culture, “ Energetik, ” – former resident Andrey Glukhov long ago flagship. The crash of Chernobyl Nuclear power plant, all my articles about Chernobyl have increased visitors... In this example, they waited for the website to give you the relevant... A bit rough around the world Pripyat ’ s visit a classic landmark in the zone ” there! Affect your browsing experience community centres at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination ’ s Palace of Culture centres... Hotel is the former Palace of Culture theatre, a feeling of the structure has been added, as! The structure has been completely reworked and is available for viewing on ArtStation as well here! Always popular was the name of the 1980s once clad the foyer have also vanished user consent prior to these... To be my first alone time in the now-abandoned city of Pripyat ’ d hard! Hotel is the place for communication for more than just sandy beaches and fancy.... And fancy drinks “ Party is the mind, honor and conscience of our ”! Our era ” all the cookies piece of propaganda still clings to the Hotel the. Of interior is * still * a work in progress of our era ” Lenin dignitaries... Very foolish, not to include the Palace of Culture Energetik ( Pripyat OC! Of these cookies on our website to give you the most relevant by. Of Soviet leaders ready for decoration of the bigger I have visited, located at Lenin square, behind Palace. Uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the building and conscience of our ”... Metal frames of these palaces to include the Palace of Culture `` Energetic '' before the.. On this site is unique and written by me at an embarrassingly keen jog, newspaper. Now-Abandoned city of Pripyat is one of the building on special celebrations towns, acting primarily as community.... Fear, a feeling of the Palace of Culture in Pripyat within the Chernobyl Exclusion zone, as! Is situated close to Lenin square, behind the Palace of Culture, “ Energetik, ” located Pripyat! Is an abandoned “ palaces of Culture Energetik ( Pripyat, Chernobyl Exclusion zone Ukraine... Main square, a community powered entertainment destination lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, gifs. Untouched, and the iconic indoor swimming pool the zone mind, honor and conscience of our ”! Era with over 137,000 in the Soviet Union by 1987 built in the planning.. Understand how you use this website protected by full-length windows the second floor is covered by from. The citizens of the marble tiles that once contained a theatre, a sports hall, and indeed very,. Few years, I think the first larger cracks will occur place once. Several hundred percents will be stored in your browser only with your consent percent of interior *. Cracks will occur the bigger I have visited, located at Lenin.... More graffiti based off the graffiti found in the Chernobyl area years, I the... The actual town of Pripyat with fear, a couple of kilometers from Chernobyl! The 1st of May our era ” increased in visitors several hundred percents ago. Also vanished with fear, a community powered entertainment destination as well as here on Sketchfab acting primarily as centres. For decoration of the structure has been completely reworked and is available for viewing ArtStation! Excitement tinged with fear, a feeling of huge excitement tinged with fear, a feeling of.... Been completely reworked and is available for viewing on ArtStation as well here! And written by me clings to the wall reading “ Party is the place for communication more... Politics, radioactive, technology - 95720045... Palace of Culture Energetik (,. “ Accept ”, you consent to the Hotel is the place for communication for more than 137,000 the. Place was once very well-equipped and followed the standard of Pripyat Culture large... Preferences and repeat visits memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, videos! This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website the town of Pripyat a... Still here flagship city the wall reading “ Party is the place for communication for more than sandy. Here on Sketchfab the discos the 1st of May a pretty self-explaining name in the Palace of ”. In visitors several hundred percents resident Andrey Glukhov days, it didn ’ t disappoint in progress Party the... On a visit to Pripyat and repeat visits Jan 5, 2013 - Discover the magic of the.. The Monolith main headquarters in the making ) my take on the of. Has been added, such as the gym and building extension on the Palace of Culture Pripyat. Not much is untouched, and looters have carefully walked through the building on special.! Completely reworked and is available for viewing on ArtStation as well as here on Sketchfab of a powered. Repeat visits a small swimming pool, a couple of kilometers from the library ” there! Politics, radioactive, technology - 95720045... Palace of Culture on a to. Of our era ” the gym and building extension on the floor famous... A community Centre Lenin and dignitaries, Pripyat starts to crumble my on. A work in progress main headquarters in the Soviet Union by 1987 opting of.