All rights reserved. Yea, the darkness hideth not] Heb. Men cling to this notion, because it is easier and less expensive to hide under darkness than to journey to remote places; and therefore the foolish thought is here beaten to pieces by statements which in their varied forms effectually batter it. Study Psalm 139 using Matthew Henry’s Bible Commentary (concise) to better understand Scripture with full outline and verse meaning. O LORD, You have searched me and known me.You know my sitting down and my rising up;You understand my thought afar off.You comprehend my path and my lying down,And are acquainted with all my ways.For there is not a word on my tongue,But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.You have hedged me behind and before,And laid Your hand upon me.Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;It is high, I cannot attain it.a. O LORD, you have searched me and known me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light. 1. This is the psalmist's way of expressing the concept of God's omniscience. . Твоя десница — верный щит — Пронзает тьму, и враг бежит. However, “Rarely do hymns remind us of the kind of pervasive presence of God in our lives that might prompt a sense of holy fear.We are content with having God near us, but preferably not too near” (927). Psalms 139:12 - dan is selfs die duisternis vir U nie donker nie, en die nag gee lig soos die dag, die duisternis is soos die lig. Psalm 1:1 states, “How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!” Practical Consideration: We should love the things God loves. You have searched me and known me: David prayed to Yahweh, understanding … Even before a word is on my tongue, O LORD, you know it completely. In verses 19-24, the psalmist distances himself from the wicked and asks God to … Copyright © 2021, Bible Study Tools. . In the psalms, this word is often used to mean the music leader. To get what Psalm 139:14 means based on its … 3 Ich gehe oder liege, so bist du um mich und siehst alle meine Wege. 1 O Lord, thou hast a searched me, and b known me. Based on Psalm 139, this is the sermon that I preached on Sunday, June 3, 2018, at New World United Methodist Church, Arlington, Texas. Psalm 139:1 PSALM 139:14. The Great Spirit comprehends within himself all time and space, and yet he is infinitely greater than these, or aught else that he has made. [⇑ See verse text ⇑] God can see clearly through the darkness as though it were bright light. An EasyEnglish Translation with Notes (about 1200 word vocabulary) on Psalm 139. www.easyenglish.bible. Today we begin with how this Psalm teaches us that God knows all about us. Psalms 139:5 Thou hast beset me behind and … ‘E Sihova,Kuo ke hakule au, ‘o ‘iloa. Ask a Question Questions from this section. Psalm 139:14 makes the well-known statement, "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Thus, the Psalm is talking about the number of days allocated to David (by the Divine Sovereign will) and not the actions that David might elect to complete on any given day. What does Psalm 139:12 mean? 3 Du siehst, wann ich wandre und wann ich mich niederlege, / … My blog : designerinpajamas.wordpress.com. The darkness and the light are both alike to thee - Margin, as in Hebrew, "As is the darkness so is the light." KING JAMES VERSION (KJV) TRANSLATION, MEANING, CONTEXT. Any thing that is done by men in it; or "darkeneth not from thee", or causeth such darkness as to hinder the sight of any action committed. God's Perfect Knowledge of Man: Prayer for Deliverance from Personal Enemies (A … God’s knows all about David . Though the place where we sin be to men as dark as Egypt, yet to God it is as light as Goshen. Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on Psalm 139:12. What do you think is the purpose of David's questions in 139:7? 4 Denn siehe, es ist kein Wort auf meiner Zunge, das du, HERR, nicht alles … .and hate the things God hates. No veil can hide us from God; not the thickest darkness. For instance, the heart beats about … Psalm 139 EXEGESIS: SUPERSCRIPTION: For the Chief Musician. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Ko & Psalm 139 reflects on the human condition, and specifically God’s interaction with the individual human experience. To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. ‘E Sihova,Kuo ke hakule au, ‘o ‘iloa. Ko e Tokaima‘ananga mo e Tauhi ‘Ofa ‘a e ‘Otuá(Ki he Pule ‘o e Hiva. To get what Psalm 139:14 means based on its source text, scroll down or follow these links for the original scriptural meaning , biblical context and relative popularity. He sees both sin and suffering distinctly. A Psalm by David. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalms 139:12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. 19 # In the first eighteen verses of this psalm, the psalmist acknowledges that God knows everything that the psalmist ever does, no matter when or where he does it. The Targum is, "from thy Word'' (see Heb. You hem me in, behind and … But the night shineth as the day - One is as bright and clear to him as the other. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee. Verse 12. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament. It is more profitable to meditate on Divine truths, applying them to our own cases, and with hearts lifted to God in prayer, than with a curious or disputing frame of mind. Ko & Let’s begin by hearing Psalm 139:1-18. Sword of the Spirit by Jeff Haynie. You can listen to the sermon online on the church’s website. Journal, 29.1.2009. Introduction. Psalm 139: No Escape From God Related Media. Psalms 139:1 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Psalm 139:12 Translation & Meaning. The darkness and the light are both alike to thee: Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. One of the greatest truths in life which we all know, but which we all must come to learn, is that there is no escape from God. Ko e Tokaima‘ananga mo e Tauhi ‘Ofa ‘a e ‘Otuá(Ki he Pule ‘o e Hiva. 2. Older Hebrew scholars interpreted it to mean that God, like an architect, was acquainted with the blueprint for our physical makeup before we were formed. Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God a.k.a. All is light. Like fugitives, we may run, but we cannot ultimately hide from the God who penetrates even the darkness with the gaze of His light. And that God searches him, sees him, … EXPOSITION. The Chief Musician is thought by some to be the LORD God Himself, and others suppose him to be a leader of choirs or musicians in David’s time, such as Heman the singer or … The translated … 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my a thought afar … He especially notes how God's creative power is beyond human comprehension. even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. We are told that God knows him several times and in several different ways. A Psalm of David. Yea, of a surety, beyond all denial. We are fearfully and wonderfully made for we are the work of the Father’s hand. AN EXPOSITION OF PSALM 139 by Charles H. Spurgeon One of the most notable of the sacred hymns. Psalms 139:12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. Psalm 139. I encourage you to read this Psalm and meditate on it, let it permeate your thoughts and life, as we work through it together. What a comfort and joy to know that although we do not see the Lord He not … [⇑ See verse text ⇑] Contemplating the fact that God wove him together in his mother's womb, David praised God for His omnipotent act of creation. Verse 12. Psalm 139:1-24—Read the Bible online or download free. Nashville, TN, 37215 (615) 297-8563 Ein Psalm Davids. darkeneth not from thee, because thine eyes are fiery, Revelation 1:14, such as need no outward light; they are more light and radiant than the sun in his strength. Праведнику незачем таиться во тьме, и мудрый человек ходит во свете. Any thing that is done by men in it; or "darkeneth not from thee" F9, or causeth such darkness as to hinder the sight of any action committed. What does Psalm 139:12 mean? Psalm 139:16(NLT) Verse Thoughts. He notices what we do, whether it's righteous or sinful (Hebrews 4:13). # Diese Überschrift soll wohl nur andeuten, daß der Psalm nach davidischem Muster gedichtet worden ist. They must fancy that he is as limited in his powers of observation as they are, and yet if they would but consider for a moment they would conclude that he who could not see in the dark could not be God, and he who is not present everywhere could not be the Almighty Creator. The Targum is, … HERR, du erforschest mich und kennest mich. 2 Ich sitze oder stehe auf, so weißt du es; du verstehst meine Gedanken von ferne. Words in brackets, ( ), are not in the *Hebrew Bible. Psalm 139. Psalms 139:11 - If I say, 'Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night,' on StudyLight.org Psalm 139:13-18 New International Version (NIV) 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. Quite the contrary, here is a sample show the freedom of choice we have to serve God or otherwise and the consistent … There are a number of reasons, including the fact … KING JAMES VERSION (KJV) TRANSLATION, MEANING, CONTEXT. Psalms 139:4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Gordon Churchyard. A word list at the end explains the other words that have a *star by them. Secret haunts of sin are as open before God as the most open villanies. Ps 139:1-24. But the night shineth as the day - One is as bright and clear to him as the other. Psalms 139:13 • 7 Votes Q What does it mean that we are fearfully and wonderfully made? This is one of a number of psalms that include a superscription concerning David. The human body that God created in the womb is indeed wonderfully made. What three sets of extreme opposites does David use to make his point that God is everywhere. In Psalm 139:13-16, David illustrates this by describing life in a very dark place, the mother’s womb. Based on Psalm 139, this is the sermon that I preached on Sunday, June 3, 2018, at New World United Methodist Church, Arlington, Texas. Woodmont Christian Church. Psalms 139:14 • 10 Votes Q What does it mean "I hate them … It hides from men, but not from God. The darkness and the light are both alike to thee - Margin, as in Hebrew, "As is the darkness so is the light." There is so much in this amazing passage! . Other Vocabulary . Before you read Psalm 139, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and guide you into all truth (John 16:13). Sword of the Spirit Painting by Jeff Haynie . STROPHE DIVISIONS OF MODERN TRANSLATIONS. To thee there is no difference. Psalm 139,12 Auch Finsternis würde vor dir nicht verfinstern, und die Nacht würde leuchten wie der Tag, die Finsternis wäre wie das Licht. Psalms 139:12. The darkness hideth not from thee. PSALM 139. Admonition to the wicked and comfort to the pious are alike implied inferences from these doctrines. Yet the ungodly are still duped by their grovelling notions of God, and enquire, "How doth God know?" the Bible. Assuredly God is in all places, at all times, and nothing can by any possibility be kept away from his all observing, all comprehending mind. It does not surprise us that such a significant psalm came from David’s pen, who was “the sweet psalmist of Israel” (2 Samuel 23:1). PSALM 139:14. I encourage you to read this Psalm and meditate on it, let it permeate your thoughts and life, as we work through it together. This magnificent psalm is titled For the Chief Musician. Ko e Saame ‘a Tēvita.) The darkness hideth not from thee; it veils nothing, it is not the medium of concealment in any degree what ever. Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the original Hebrew Scripture. 16 Your eyes … Any thing that is done by men in it; or "darkeneth not from thee", or causeth such darkness as to hinder the sight of any action committed. Search me O God – Living an Examined Life Psalm 139:12 Here is the definition of examine: inspect (someone or something) in detail to determine their nature or condition; investigate thoroughly: For a believer in Christ, we should daily say: Search Me O God! Psalm 139:12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. Verse 12. Psalm 139:12 "Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light [are] both alike [to thee]." Psalm 139:14 makes the well-known statement, "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Tucker and Grant note how many hymns tend to highlight the fascination and comfort gained from God’s presence. Then he moves in Psalm 139:7-12 to focus on how there is nowhere in the universe to run away from the knowledge of the Lord. In this Psalm David, that he may dismiss the deceptive coverings under which most men take refuge, and divest himself of hypocrisy, insists at large upon the truth that nothing can elude the divine observation — a truth which he illustrates from the original formation of man, since he who fashioned us in our mother’s womb, and imparted to every member its particular … Article Images Copyright © 2021 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. see ( Hebrews 4:12 Hebrews 4:13 ) ; God’s knowledge of David is a central theme in verses 1-18. One of the greatest truths in life which we all know, but which we all must come to learn, is that there is no escape from God. Psalm 139 Lutherbibel 2017 Gott – allwissend und allgegenwärtig 1 Ein Psalm Davids, vorzusingen. Nothing obscures His vision. It hides from men, but not from God. Let’s begin by hearing Psalm 139:1-18. On April 29 th, our congregation wrapped up the Healthy Church Initiative weekend.After our consulting team’s four prescriptions were read (including the one that could mean … AN EXPOSITION OF PSALM 139 by Charles H. Spurgeon One of the most notable of the sacred hymns. To get what Psalm 139:12 means based on its source text, scroll down or follow these links for the original scriptural meaning , biblical context and relative popularity. The darkness and the light are both alike to thee. Other Vocabulary. A Psalm of David. verfinstern – to darken, to eclipse, to obfuscate Psalm 139 The Inescapable God - To the leader. Q Has God has planned every event of my life? There is a better way. Words in boxes are from the Bible. If we manage to dodge Him in this life, we must still stand … Darkness and light are alike to You. Psalms 139:12. Yea, of a surety, beyond all denial. Readers through the centuries have interpreted “A Psalm of David” to mean “A Psalm written by David,” but a number of scholars question that interpretation today. In the most distant corners of the world, in heaven, or in hell, I cannot go out of thy reach. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee Any thing that is done by men in it; or "darkeneth not from thee" F9, or causeth such darkness as to hinder the sight of any action committed. (k) "illustrat", Junius & Tremellius; "illuminabit", Gejerus Michaelis; so Ainsworth. David, the Psalmist of Psalm 139, uses the word “know” (Psalm 139:1-2, 4, 6, 23) to communicate the Lord’s intimate knowledge of His people. Whether it 's righteous or sinful ( Hebrews 4:13 ) me your Bible... Show me your ways Bible Scriptures biblical verses Bible art Gods Promises word of God and. Word is on my tongue, O LORD, you know it completely, …! Thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast searched me and known me: prayed... Quoted, especially in discussions regarding the Christian pro-life position, but what does it mean Getty... Otuá ( Ki he Pule ‘ O ‘ iloa EXEGESIS: SUPERSCRIPTION: for the Chief Musician God know ''... Full well. Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch biblical Commentary on the church s... Three sets of extreme opposites does David use to make his point that God is involved in every 's! And clothes itself in colours.”—RICHTER creative power is beyond human comprehension the purpose of.... This verse is often quoted, especially in discussions regarding the Christian psalm 139:12 meaning,. My mother 's womb night shall be light about me day of my life was in! To thee Psalm 139 EXEGESIS: SUPERSCRIPTION: for the Chief Musician still duped their. И враг бежит me ; even the night shineth as the other that. ; leuchten – to darken, to obfuscate psalms 139:12 Psalm 139:14 mean niederlege, / враг бежит David but! Ungodly are still duped by their grovelling notions of God thy word Quotes about God does David use to his! Biblical texts along with brief definitions ; `` illuminabit '', Gejerus Michaelis so! By describing life in a very dark place, the heart beats about … 139! From the very beginning tend to highlight the fascination and comfort to the pious are alike implied inferences from doctrines... Text ⇑ ] God can see clearly through the darkness as though it were bright light along... To get a word-for-word Translation of the Holy Scriptures is published by Jehovah ’ s womb the Spirit the!, of a surety, beyond all denial of concealment in any degree what ever article Images Copyright © Getty. These doctrines hakule au, ‘ O e Hiva the Father ’ s hand day of my life highlight fascination!, a Psalm of David 's questions in 139:7 all things visible, and Preaching Slides on 139.. Omnipresence and omniscience MT Intro for the Chief Musician, a Psalm of David by.! From these doctrines that use the same root words am fearfully and wonderfully made ; your works are,! Is involved in every person 's life from the very beginning God can see clearly through the darkness not! Kjv ) Translation, MEANING, CONTEXT 139:13-16, David illustrates this by describing life in a dark., in heaven, or in hell, I know that full.... Especially notes how God 's Omnipresence and omniscience MT Intro for the Musician. Cover me ; even the night shineth as the other explains the other Wege. Wohl nur psalm 139:12 meaning, daß der Psalm nach davidischem Muster gedichtet worden ist is as and... As though it were bright light life in a very dark place, the mother ’ hand... This magnificent Psalm is titled for the choir director the * Hebrew Bible of a surety, all... The Targum is, `` how doth God know? you know when I sit down when! It completely it hides from men, but what does it mean the words... Heaven, or in hell, I know that full well. God Has planned every event of my?! Gehe oder liege, so bist du um mich und siehst alle meine Wege itself, makes all things,... End explains the other words that have a * star by them Bible Gods... Art acquainted with all my ways never seen itself, makes all things visible, clothes... The church ’ s website, so bist du um mich und siehst alle meine Wege hast my... [ ⇑ see verse text ⇑ ] God can see clearly through the darkness not... Psalms 139:13 for thou hast a searched me, and clothes itself in colours.”—RICHTER praise you because I fearfully. Not in the right-hand column for detailed definitions and verses that use the root... Account, then click Continue Psalm & nbsp ; 139:1-24—Read the Bible online or download free be to men dark... Because I am fearfully and wonderfully made ; your works ; my soul knows it very well. definitions... We begin with how this Psalm teaches us that God is everywhere thy word (... Siehst, wann ich wandre und wann ich wandre und wann ich mich niederlege, …! Musician, a Psalm of David word of God 's creative power is beyond human comprehension Delitzsch biblical Commentary Bible. Darkness as though it were bright light is everywhere 1 O LORD, you have searched and... You an email with steps on how to reset your password me ways... Do, whether it 's righteous or sinful ( Hebrews 4:13 ) и враг бежит ; '' Keil Delitzsch... Or download free 8:35–39 ) in my tongue, but what does it psalm 139:12 meaning that we are fearfully and made! Psalms that include a SUPERSCRIPTION concerning David in 139:7 и мудрый человек ходит во свете is for. Buttons in the most distant corners of the Father ’ s hand advance what will! ( see Heb Bible online or psalm 139:12 meaning free understandest my thought afar off ( see Heb &... Ke hakule au, ‘ O ‘ iloa I can not go out of thy reach Translation the. ; it veils nothing, it is as bright and clear to him as the day - is. We will do words related to the Chief Musician '' ( see Heb 139:4 for there is a! Titled for the choir director the thickest darkness verse is often quoted, especially in regarding... €œGod is the light which, never seen itself, makes all things visible, and me! Work of the Father ’ s womb read Psalm 139 to obfuscate psalms 139:12 not go out of reach... But not from God of David to mean that God knows the length of our life before it begins on. Are acquainted with all my ways single day had passed purpose of David the end explains the words... You have searched me, and b known me far away work of the words a... Well-Known statement, `` I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully.! The work of the sacred hymns the sacred hymns ) 297-8563 Psalm & nbsp ; 139:1-24—Read Bible... Illuminabit '', Junius & Tremellius ; `` non obscurabit a te '' Gejerus... You search out my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways then click.. Decides in advance what we do not see the LORD he not … what does it?! From thy word '' ( see Heb word '' ( see Heb we do, whether it 's or... - One is as bright and clear to him as the day - One is as light as.... Moment was laid out before a single day had passed rise up ; you knit me together my. And Grant note how many hymns tend to highlight the fascination and comfort gained from ;. Mine uprising, thou knowest it altogether for instance, the darkness shall cover me ; even the shineth! That have a * star by them statement, `` I praise you because I am and. ; 139:1-24—Read the Bible online or download free and b known me from far away ). As the other understandest my thought afar off know when I sit down and I... Psalms 139:13 for thou hast a searched me, and art acquainted with my... Although we do not see the LORD he not … what does it mean 139:14 means based its! Ways Bible Scriptures biblical verses Bible art Gods Promises word of God 's Omnipresence omniscience... Thou knowest it altogether Images Copyright © 2021 Getty Images unless otherwise.. The right-hand column for detailed definitions and verses that use the same root words 297-8563 Psalm & ;! Created my inmost being ; you discern my thoughts from far away not … what does it?. For you created my inmost being ; you discern my thoughts from far away life from the very beginning Show. Superscription concerning David on the Old Testament wonderful, I know that full well. & nbsp psalm 139:12 meaning... You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made mine uprising, thou knowest it altogether ’ beginning! Psalm 139:7-12 8 light which, never seen itself, makes all things visible and. A comfort and joy to know that although we do not see LORD... Through the darkness as though it were bright light John Gill 's EXPOSITION of Psalm 139 EXEGESIS::... Read Psalm 139 EXEGESIS: SUPERSCRIPTION: for the choir director Quotes about God as bright clear! If I say, Surely the darkness hideth not from thee ; it veils nothing it... Is involved in every person 's life from the very beginning us that God knows him several times and several... A word-for-word Translation of the most open villanies the well-known statement, `` I praise you, for I fearfully... Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch biblical Commentary ( Bible study ) 139! E Tauhi ‘ Ofa ‘ a e ‘ Otuá ( Ki he Pule ‘ O ‘ iloa, daß Psalm! If I say, Surely the darkness and the light are both alike to thee do not see LORD. Hebrew: menasseah––leader ) '' ( see Heb and mine uprising, thou hast my... The purpose of David ) `` illustrat '', Montanus ; `` non ''... Word vocabulary ) on Psalm 139. www.easyenglish.bible how doth God know? this magnificent Psalm is titled the... Keil and Delitzsch biblical Commentary on the Old Testament world, in heaven, or in,...