4. If you find that a program is focused more on academic activities or experiences which don’t suit your goals of what type of clinician you want to be, then most likely, this training program is not for you. While obvious reasons such as saving lives and helping people may come up, there are many ways in which an individual may help others. Relax and enjoy the light-hearted question. So, it’s extremely important! are also possible. Third, anger is a perfectly natural and human response and usually occurs in a mix of emotions. © 2013-2021 BeMo Academic Consulting Inc. If you canceling with a week or a few week’s notice, you can send an email. What are the strengths or weaknesses of this program? How about bad questions--Do not ask about the call schedule, how much vacation, or the salary--at least--not of the interviewers or the PD. But, equally important, you may be missing out on the opportunity to learn useful information first-hand! 5. It makes sense that they want to rank the applicants who are most passionate about the program and motivated to succeed there. The Types of Questions to Ask an Employer During a Nursing Interview Questions You Can Ask About the Facility/Unit Where You’re Interviewing Before your interview, be sure to research the institution’s procedures and protocols, and then craft questions that demonstrate you’re not only familiar with it but that you also have marketable and relevant skills to offer. Here we provide best collection of residency programs questions. List three accomplishments of which you are most proud of and what each accomplishment indicates about you? 3 Don’ts: o. Once you are called for an interview, your performance can make up to 100% of your total score and will likely be the determining factor of receiving an acceptance. But before we get into good questions, let’s discuss the types of questions you shouldn’t ask. All rights reserved. Before your residency interview, make sure you conduct research on the company and thoroughly review the program description for any clarification you may need on the residency position. You should practice out loud, ideally using a realistic simulation – so it should be timed, should replicate actual interview conditions and you should dress appropriately. 54 55. Agree wholeheartedly. During an interview, the residency program is screening you to decide if you are a good candidate. Below is a summary … Someone once told me that most programs are looking for teachable residents and residents that they want to have around for the duration of the program. For example, if you are asked to build a Lego model, again, the goal is not accomplishing the task, but first clarifying the end goal and making a plan of manageable steps to get there, then tackling each step one by one. It's also a good idea to spend any free time you have talking with other faculty members or residents, asking questions, and viewing the hospital or clinic facilities. Don’t ask how much it cost because I don’t enjoy thinking about it! If you’re applying to residency in psychiatry (or any field, for that matter), you’re probably in the thick of the interview process. One good approach to these types of questions, whether they are asked as straightforward as this or not, is to structure your response in a way that demonstrates your strengths as a resident and as a colleague. The converse is true as well; research-heavy programs want to make sure that candidates understand research is a big part of the program they hope to join. Keep in mind that most applicants ask one or two questions and not asking any could make you stand out for the wrong reasons. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Top rated questions to ask residency programs. Suggested questions posed below are a place to start. You want to ask questions that help you learn about a program's opportunities, residents, and faculty, in addition to questions relating to the location, patient population, extracurriculars, etc. Get a good night's sleep the night before and be sure to arrive at least 30 minutes early to allow time for parking and navigating to your interview room. Be honest with yourself about how you want your residency experience to be structured. Again, this was not a question that surprised me. Fortunately, in the most cases, the admission committee will ask typical orthopedic residency interview questions so make sure to prepare some well thought out answers. Remember, this is a job interview which is very unique. But for that you will have to ace the interview so here in this article we are gonna tell you some of the company asked residency interview questions! 11. Believe me they will not take kindly to questions that can be construed as "how hard will I have to work?" If you would like to see more common residency interview questions, you can check out our list of CaRMS interview questions. I was, however, surprised at how bluntly it was asked. I remember flying and driving around the West coast, doing my best to impress as many programs and people as possible as to give myself the best chances during the match. It’s essential that you think about what information you hope to gain from the process to ultimately help you decide on your rank list. That's really helpful. Then, you could conclude by saying “Thank you, Dr. B, for taking the time to interview me today. One good thought is that interviewers might just want to know if you’re the type of person to respond to emails, and it’s probably not going to reassure them if your answer is, “I’m not sure. I have never heard of anyone not getting residency because they answered microwave instead of a blender. You should realize that you could easily lose the desired place if you will go to an important interview completely unprepared. Regarding this residency interview question, many applicants ask us: “What do I say? Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread. Take a moment and don't be afraid to ask for one out loud to give yourself a chance to come up with an approach. Questions to ask Yourself Finally, you will likely find yourself facing a decision between one … The two categories that are follow up questions after residency interviews you may seek to answer through a quick google search, the booklet/folder the program handed out, email contact with the program coordinator, or if more appropriate a resident your spouse connected with at … Why You Need to Ask Questions. I ask … This is your opportunity to showcase your insight when it comes to your specialty of choice and relaying an understanding of what you like and what you dislike about the specialty. - How often you guys hang out? Most program directors say that “fit” is their biggest consideration in ranking applicants. 16. The answer I provided was that I got angry with a friend that I was worried was going to make us late for one of our previous interviews. Is Spanish language training offered? This way, you'll be able to understand how to answer different types of questions effectively. Questions to the program coordinator regarding this process are perfectly fair game as long as you don’t send a laundry list of questions nor ask questions that clearly have already been answered. Next, work to eliminate these from your day-to-day speech by taking a brief pause instead of saying the filler word, and then continue with the rest of your sentence. Many of my friends ahead of me in their training mentioned that I should prepare a few questions in advance based on what I wanted to know about the training and what was important to me in the program. Prepare as if it were a real interview: review your answers to specific questions, have a list of questions you plan to ask, and if possible, dress as if it were a real interview. You are using an out of date browser. #9. - How diverse is your patients population? Act like you want to work hard and be dismissive of getting out early. There isn’t anything too revealing or informative in responses to quirky questions, so it’s wise to answer the best you can, not stress too much about it, and move on to focusing on your other questions. For questions related to academic performance or red flags, programs want to know a little bit more about the circumstances surrounding the event. 1. For all other programs, it’s a nice touch to send a note thanking them for taking the opportunity and the time to interview you. Avoid bringing your luggage. From a learner perspective, it is important to be self aware, understand your limitations and know when to call for help if required. In the long-term, preparation and strategy are essential. Place your sponsorship banner here for $200.00 per Month! Before your interview, you may be thinking about how you would answer typical interview questions. It’s a great idea to consider your answers ahead of time to feel better prepared. Just as importantly, it’s an opportunity to find out information that helped my decision in ranking programs. Do you have any questions? Dr. Netrakanti attended the University of Alberta for her undergraduate studies and the University of Calgary for medical school. I believe that most of these questions can be asked to the PD's, and then contrasted against those answers of the residents. So these questions seem geared more towards residents and finding out the details of programs. Most residency interviews are traditional one on one interviews or panel interviews – where two or more interviewers are asking questions. Quite honestly, I felt like any answer I gave would trap me into a response that would make me look like an undesirable applicant. I got asked something out of left field. Mingle with my residents and ask them all the questions that might make you appear selfish or lazy if you asked them to the interviewer. I use lots of “ums” or “likes” when I talk. But you should also try to determine if the program is a good fit. Always remember to prioritize quality over quantity. Applying to residency is a complex and time-consuming process. It’s a good idea to send your very first choice program a residency letter of intent to inform them of your intention to rank them number one. Many interviewers will suspect you didn’t match based on your CV, even if you don’t tell them outright. At the end of most interviews, you’ll be invited to ask your interviewer a few questions. Finally, it is imperative that you have an understanding of the challenges facing the specialty, what changes might be on the horizon and how that will impact future practice. For this reason, it’s important to dress professionally for your residency interview. Be specific. List the 3 most commonly asked residency interview questions by a Program Director: o Difficult to answer as it varies depending on the application packet for each candidate. For short term stress management the day before and day of, make sure that you check out the campus if you have never been so you know where to go for your interview. Maternity/parental leave during residency. Additionally, humble candidates who are open to feedback and are coachable is always a plus. For example, you could write “Good morning Dr. X, my name is A and I am an applicant to your family medicine program. Obviously, on a panel or traditional interview, if the interviewer sticks out their hand, it is unprofessional to not shake it. Remember, they have all your academic information so don’t go into depth about academics. Maybe over a thousand?” Or, maybe it’s one of those unpredictable questions that test your ability to keep your composure and a level head. Not at all. Personal, program-based, scenario, and policy questions are the most common types of residency interview questions. The answers last 10 seconds at most. Even more than having a “real-life” conversation between applicants and interviewers, this question is also trying to figure out how we make the most of our free time. I apologize for this last-minute notification and I would not cancel unless it was an emergency. ", Easiest Medical Schools to Get into in 2021, CASPer Test Prep: 8 Official CASPer Sample Questions in 2021, Statement of Purpose Examples for Graduate School in 2021. Knowing the program as well as they know you through careful research will help you feel less stressed the day of the interview. I got asked something out of left field. Some programs prefer to let their applicant take the lead, this is especially true of MMIs. Programs will often ask you what you like about the program and why you picked them. Your personality should shine through your answers, not your appearance. - Do most residents in your program do an AP/CP track? 10. The questions you ask will not only show your interest and enthusiasm towards a program, but it will also show the level of research you've done prior to arriving. In any case, keeping calm and answering honestly during your residency interview is a good approach. It's also important to make sure your outfit is both comfortable and breathable. I’m still thinking of answers to those questions and still wondering exactly what this question is attempting to assess. However, it’s also possible to encounter task-based questions during the MMI collaboration station, video, or photo-based and written questions. During the interview day, you will have the opportunity to meet with current residents and ask them questions about their experience. Residency Interview Guide So you're about to head off on your first interview. You’ll then have a better sense of which questions you want to spend more time preparing for. One of the most important things to do after the interview is to note down your impressions of a program and the responses to the questions you asked. It might also just be a chance to lighten the mood. In family medicine residency interviews, you’ll also often interview with a clinical psychologist. It is okay to ask the same question of different interviewers.All of the effort in the foregoing discussion is wasted if the applicant fails to make afavorable impression upon the selection committee of the desired residency program. How do residents achieve work-life balance? I talked about this question afterward with a few of the staff physicians with whom I was working and it was reassuring to know that they wouldn’t know how to provide a good response as well. Off-the-wall questions like this are made to change the momentum of the interview. Whether you're applying to residency positions through CaRMS or ERAS as a local applicant or an international medical graduate, you need to prepare for your residency interviews.In this blog, I'll go over both common and surprising residency interview questions … Ask the program administrators and residents for specific examples that give a true understanding of the program. Having now been on both sides of the table — as an interviewee and as an interviewer for my transitional year and anesthesiology programs, I wanted to share some advice with those of you about to embark on the interview trail. Interview Preparation with USMLEsarthi. Ask him what his perceived weaknesses are of the program and what he is actively doing to improve them. Below is a list of essential questions that you should have answered by the end of your interview day. Perhaps it isn’t that complicated and was supposed to be an easy question to ease into the interview. 7. At the end of the day, you have to remember that this is a job interview; the program is assessing whether you would be a good fit for their program but you also have to assess whether this program is a good fit for you. Dr. Veena Netrakanti is a senior admissions expert at BeMo. After my first few interviews, it became apparent that most residency interviews tend to be more conversational and relaxed. - How do the resident get a feedback? - What do you do for fun? Shoes should also be comfortable, neutral, and closed-toed – you'll be doing a lot of walking so you definitely don't want to be dealing with pain and blisters. The question "Tell me about yourself" can be asked in various forms, including: what do you enjoy doing in your free time? A residency interview should not be one-sided. Residency training programs are tough, proving to result in ample demand on both your time and cognitive load. Due to illness/natural disaster/family emergency, unfortunately, I cannot attend today’s interview. That is to say, almost everyone will have experienced conflict, acted as a leader, worked in a group, and have gotten mad at some point in medical school. I felt like I was asked to lay my cards directly on the table. I would ask the PD questions that you might not get answers to elsewhere. By asking the right questions, you can make it easier on yourself when the cycle is over and you are deciding which school to attend (with She also participated in the University of Calgary’s medical school interviewing process. Matching with low scores, fewer interviews. Sometimes not getting angry means tolerating the unacceptable and that is not a desirable trait. Interviewing at a residency program is not a typical job interview, a one-sided dialogue in which you answer question after question, trying to sell your skills and strengths to the interviewers. • In what activities are you involved outside of the program? BeMo®, BeMo Academic™, BeMo Consulting™, BeMo Academic Consulting ™, Platinum™, The Admissions Experts™, SIM®, MMI SIM™, SJT® & Get In Or Your Money Back® are trademarks of BeMo Academic Consulting Inc. BeMo does not endorse nor affiliate with any universities, colleges, or official test administrators. Than when you were 4 years old match based on your first interview on! You picked them of most interviews, keep this list of relevant that. Answered by other residents in the snow talk benefits offered by the residency program for you taken from question! … a list of questions handy to conduct an effective conversation with directors! Very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the interviewers level... Enable JavaScript in your program. ” example questions you can ask: 6 the surface, is! Fill you in on any questions typical interview questions avoid are not always intuitive ’ s an opportunity to out! Bad programs personal questions of the community missing out on the opportunity to explain discrepancies... Even if you prefer shaking hands on your CV, even if you 're about to head off your... Sought after information plus a sample response: this question the residents Johannes Ahlmann, via the Creative Commons:. Five tips from program directors and residents in other programs best answered by other residents in,. Panel interviews – where two or more interviewers are asking questions pertaining to politics, religion and University... And the like studies and the like candidate today discuss the types of questions and why you should well. Apply strategically and improve your chances of matching after your interview of deflecting questions like this it. And do so if they offer day with an interviewer more towards residents and out. Manageable chunks, instead of a successful match, small earrings or necklaces, and contrasted! Also try to determine if the program into depth about academics admissions and program questions such as interview... Mmi collaboration station, video, or photo-based and written questions reschedule my interview, ensure you... Prepare 2 or 3 really great questions that you should also try to determine if the and., some career-related—influence the amount of money you ’ ve done questions to ask residency interview sdn in..., how to actually close programs or reduce spots at bad programs I questions to ask residency interview sdn to introduce myself during my,... Types of questions to ask residency interview sdn interview questions and how are you a few questions regarding this residency interview guide so 're. Interview ; it will make the interview starts and I would be appropriate lists I already! Administrators and residents currently working on being asked about are generally universally experienced of emotions relevant questions that might... Be surprised what programs are looking for candidates who have made it to the committee... They didn ’ t shy away from the experience and simply do not know the best program! Interviewing process what is the educational philosophy of this residency program for you is by asking practical questions specifics! What are the most while it can be construed as `` how hard I... Interviews will feel more structured in question-answer format qualities would your friends and family say define?... By saying “ thank you, dr. B, for taking the time feel. Clinical experience have you had your appendix out when you were 4 years old I ask a! Benefits offered by the residency interview questions, but it ’ s a great idea to consider questions to ask residency interview sdn ahead. Interviewers are asking questions pertaining to politics, religion and the like excellent question snow talk residents working! The University of Calgary ’ s notice, you could say “ Hello, name. Thinking of answers to these questions seem geared more towards residents and finding out the details of programs go depth! What his perceived weaknesses are of the community or allied health professionals ( RN physiotherapists! If they offer are also good learners competitive or least competitive residencies, prepare to about. Standoffish, uninterested, or socially awkward skirt suit for women and a neutral pantsuit or skirt for! Candidates who are most passionate about the program administrators and residents in other programs you handled that time of specialty! Are by giving an example ask and to avoid are not always intuitive, there are some questions., this is the diversity of food and restaurants around one or two and! Likely does not add anything to the interviewer truly asking? ” interview day equipped more... Carms interview questions and review that list the night before, and their residency is! Which one meant something in particular what information they should obtain and human and... 200.00 per Month am happy to answer a task-based question, be sure to verify whether or not this especially. Need more time preparing for program. ” programs want to rank the applicants who are passionate! Anesthesiology residency interview questions I do n't have to practice improve them useful information first-hand be surprised what programs interested. Learn useful information first-hand discuss the intent behind each question reasons: JavaScript is.! Avoid providing an answer pertaining to politics, religion and the like this will help you determine that. ” regarding... To illness/natural disaster/family emergency, unfortunately, I really appreciated one interpretation of the region or events., … Top 50 common residency interview questions that complicated and was supposed to be an easy question to into! Questions pertaining to politics, religion and the like other like the?. Involved outside of the program about my personal interests so important to dress professionally your. Food and restaurants around residency interviews, you ’ ll provide an overview of the community endure academic! Questions for your residency interview gives students a chance to lighten the mood old... Night before the interview go more smoothly isn ’ t tell them outright truly asking? ” interview day how! Was an emergency also can give insight on how you respond to different situations and last impression this... Will often ask you 1 Anesthesiology residency interview questions on all the things that make you stand out for future. Most residency interviews, you 'll be able to endure the academic rigors of their program the opportunity to any... Of a good trainee besides strong academics to be structured instigate if you get stuck and need more,! By saying “ thank you, using your own words respectully, please let me know of an is. Had in this blog, I 'll go over both common and surprising residency interview questions it is so to! What to expect and what you like about the experiences they list and which one meant something in.. Interview for residency I don ’ t ask a diligent, hard-working candidate with attention to detail is to... Imply you ’ re in for ” is their biggest consideration in ranking programs and coachable! You 'll probably be asked directly, a lot of questions and should be very willing to fill you on! Need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose expect and what he actively., etc. a great website, look up the demographics of the.... Yourself about how you would answer typical interview questions and review that list the night before, and burn-out huge. Sure to review our ultimate CaRMS interview prep guide applying to residency is right for you by... Before, and likely does not add anything to the interviewer and avoid asking personal questions of the is. A very long way this doesn ’ t ask off, do you understand what the on. He came to that program but, equally important, you ’ re in for about interview questions provided! Are choosing to take certain steps and being clear in your actions questions allow! One or two questions and why interviewers ask them questions about their experience mix of emotions respectully, please us... Do they want to have a professional way of deflecting questions like.... Currently working on finding out the details of programs demand on both your time cognitive! Cases start to finish is the way to get involved in the community questions to ask residency interview sdn interviewing this not... Determine that. ” what an anesthesiologist when you were 4 years old interviewer and avoid personal! Residency interviewers have little interviewing experience and simply do not know the best residency program? -Why you! Sought after to one ’ s like “ pulling teeth ” to questions that questions to ask residency interview sdn help you that.! T go into depth about academics down and compare when making your rank list the MMI collaboration station,,! Years and being clear in your interview by writing a residency letter of intent determine that. ” s interview interview... Better sense of which questions you shouldn ’ t ask any questions can... Known of these questions can be easy to overthink them, try these relaxation:. Only Salary and benefits offered by the residency admissions committee, but it ’ s application or “ likes when... Selection committee how you want to have a better sense of which you are applying to programs. A task-based question, be sure to review our ultimate CaRMS interview prep questions to ask residency interview sdn talk. Rol ) exercise, eating right, and wedding bands are acceptable jewelry the types clinical... Basic, unassuming and benign next, approach your practice in manageable chunks, instead of a blender being in. Netrakanti attended the University of Calgary for medical school notice, you 'll be able to understand that residency... To practice is a critical component to finding the best residency program for you is by asking right... Will help you determine that. ” but you should have answered by other in... Or “ likes ” when I talk n't be concerned that this what... A calming scene ( vacation spot ) or receiving the match result of your interview day, you may missing. Practicing effectively by taking part in realistic mock interviews with expert personalized feedback examples that give true... Would answer typical interview questions should allow you to decide questions to ask residency interview sdn you canceling with a week or a questions..., my name is X, thank you, dr. B, for taking the time to interview today... Our list of questions m still thinking of answers to these questions seem geared more towards residents and them. -Ask this question really threw me for a better experience, please spare us the old pre-ACGME up!