We make oars in any length from 6-1/2 ft (78 in) to 10 ft (120 in). The shaft is lightweight but … They were the primary supplier of oars to river outfitters in the Western United States for decades. Most often selected when your boat is trimmed in Mahogany. Laminated Spoon Blade Oars Rick Thompson Instruction Biber-Boote Schweiz 2018-10-02 Page 3 of 80 Introduction I'm going to have another try at making laminated blade oars, this time all in wood (my last pair used fiberglass shafts). Lighter or shorter rowers can adjust these oars to “gear down” or ease the power required by shortening the handles. Gallery ; About; Contact us; Spoons / Blades; Spoons / Blades. I had blisters but otherwise I could have gone longer. It might be that eight footers won’t quite fit below the thwarts. The blades which enter the water are at the top of the picture and the handles are at the bottom. The blades and shafts of spruce oars should be painted or varnished to protect them from decay and warping. After you cut the spoon oar blade blanks, mark the blade shape onto the blank. Longer boats move more efficiently through the water, so the benefits of longer oars are well worthwhile. Barkley Sound Spoon Blade Oars. They also come into their own when the water is rough as they are very forgiving and just skip over the top of the waves. You might start with an 8' pair for glassy conditions, then use an easier pulling 7½' pair as the wind and chop build. When rowing around congested harbors or narrow channels shorter oars will be handier. And like walnut, bird’s eye maple boasts a beautiful visual appeal both on and off the water. We like “Huberd’s Shoe Grease”. Our oars are made from spar grade vertical grain Sitka Spruce. To take full advantage of this, the oars should be nearly balanced when in position, with the weight of the rower’s arm on the oar grip. For paddling canoes when standing (yes our mother let us do this) a 69 inch or 72 inch paddle is usually about right. Get the best deals on rowing oars when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Featuring a 1 3/8 inch diameter bright dipped aluminum shaft and a 6.5 by 21.2 blade, these oars offer impressive strength and hydrodynamics considering their ultralight build. Buttons also keep the oar from sliding out of the oarlock when unattended. A heavier wood with moderate flex, ash holds up well to whitewater and rocky conditions. If you do use soft grips, be certain the grips are well varnished or painted before adding the soft grips. You'll like them, too. Details & Buy. In time, the stitching will work down below the surface of the leathers. Time wore on, however, and the rack and wear to which ambitious athletes subjected it, were too much for its constitution. Curly Maple Sometimes called tiger or ribbon maple, curly maple features a translucence that can only be described as radiant. Spoon Blade Oars . As always feel free to call us and were happy to help you select the correct oar length and blade style for your boat. Shaw and Tenny says they don't recommend spoons for the guideboat (something about balance between craft and oars), but it seems like a good idea to me. Ideal for pulling boats and fine rowing craft, spoon oars are 20% more efficient than flat blades. The weight is 1.62 kgs each. Note how the oar shaft connects not to the midline of the blade (as is the case of macons) but rather higher pitch, that is toward an upper part of the spoon/blade when perpendicular to the waterline. Our spoon blade oars are concave in both length and width. Beautiful, nicely balanced spoon blade oars carved from Sitka Spruce. The bare spruce holds up surprisingly well. Standard Sizes . When paddling solo we typically recommend a bow length paddle. These are between 11 and 13ft long, and cost about £260 each. They do get a lot of use, maybe it’s the skin oil. Spend some money on spoon oars, as they are the most important part of the boat. If you prefer an overlapping grip, add 6” to the calculated oar length. A deep red, closed grained hardwood, cherry is strong and durable for virtually every paddling condition. Spoon Blade Oars. Lower quality oars can be dramatically improved by attacking them with a plane and spokeshave. For traditional wooden paddles the ideal length for the Stern paddler is the bridge of your nose or 6 inches less than your height. The result is called the “inboard loom length” of the oar. To determine the correct length oar for your boat measure the distance between the port and starboard oar sockets. If you’ve spent months building a gorgeous wooden rowing vessel, a couple of gleaming varnished sculling oars are the icing on the cake. Spoon blade oars are 20% more efficient than flat blade as the narrow blade excels in rough water and for casual and recreational rowing. Kinder Blade: The Kinder oars are Dreher’s traditional 17cm wide by 48.4 cm long Macon blades that are perfect for young rowers and female rowers. Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh. The blades are both spooned and dished. Sculls, Adirondack, Specialty and Large Oars, Marine Hardware, Oarlocks, Leathers and Accessories, Custom Engraving for Our Paddles and Oars. Lightweight Laminated Spoon Blade Sculling Oars Designed by Rick Thompson, and offered on Ruedi Anneler's pages. Besides improving balance, thinning the blade also reduces the volume of the oar when immersed. Unlike conventional round or horn style oarlocks, the elliptical shape stays in constant motion with the oar. My New Spoon Oars, with Video. I received the Barkely spoon oars that sell for around $100 a pair. If you’ve spent months building a gorgeous wooden rowing vessel, a couple of gleaming varnished sculling oars are the icing on the cake. Round up or down to the closest 6” increment. Comments? Our spoon blade oars are concave in both length and width. Van Fancy Oars &Paddles . Take on the current with quality-crafted kayak paddles and oars for your fishing kayak, inflatable kayak and tandem kayak. With the additional 6 inches using the outriggers on either side that allows another 1 1/2 ft oars with spoon blades to 9.5ft. £275 Pair of 7′ 6″ spoon blade oars; £295 Pair of 8′ spoon blade oars; More information. Water is easily trapped under the grip and rot can result. I searched for oar plans and found these. 1 pair of bronze oarlocks, 2-1/4" diameter, round-horn (closed circle) with 1/2" straight shank. Spoon Blade Oars. The result is the proper oar length in inches. They are a solid one piece wooden construction no lamination. Straight Blade Oars . Oar/s Stands; Framed Oars; Trophy Cases; Wall Oar Racks; Show All Trophies. Proper oars have light, but strong blades that are easy to lift out of the water on the return stroke. However, this additional weight is not necessary if the oars are properly proportioned to begin with. The shanks are machined to be a close fit to standard one-half inch diameter sockets. Frankly the spoon is the heaviest part of this oar. Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device We have a pair of spruce oars for our tender that have spent most of seven years out in the weather, and the grips are grayed but solid. Two "cleaver" sculls. The shaft is lightweight but sturdy aluminum and the handle is foam. Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection. Western Spruce Oars. Our own design, the narrow blade of the Shaw and Tenney design excels in rough water and for casual and recreational rowing. If you are popping out of your oarlocks when rowing your oars are far too short. cm. Sewn leathers are long-lasting and reusable. The curve of the blade and thinner edges make the blade more efficient but also more delicate than the straight blade oars. The Kinder blade has the smallest blade area of any that Dreher sells at 713 sq. This compound shape combined with the use of vertical grain wood allows the blade to be thinner than usually seen while still being adequately stiff. One calm afternoon I went for 15 km row with crummy Canadian Tire oars. I am envisioning something like these Sawyer Gig Oars (photos taken from here): I am considering starting with the free plans on Storer's website, then narrowing the blade.Before doing so, however, I thought I would check to see if folks on this forum have suggestions for other plans. Otherwise you’ll need to compromise the correct length to work properly in both stations. www.urbanoarsman.com/2019/03/01/gwragedd-annwns-cupped-spoon-oars Four “wings” to make a pair of oars. Plus 2 pairs of sockets. Over the two days you will learn how to select suitable timber for oars, mark and cut the tapered blanks then eight side and finally round the shafts, the blades will then be cut and glued to tapered shafts and shaped and finally sanded. Most oars are tremendously overbuilt for pleasurable rowing. Grown here, in Maine, curly maple is also a hard wood — often lighter than ash, and often more flexible. Free plans pdf. Spoons / Blades Can be ordered painted to your design or order from the 10 base colours. Easy to install and very durable. Installing Leather Oar Collars (PDF) WE ALSO RECOMMEND. Easy to install and very durable. Spoon Blade Sitka Spruce Oars - $475.00 per pair for standard sizes. I ordered the Barkley standard oars from Fisheries this week, 1 pair for around $63. All rights reserved. This is a two day hands on course building your own set of spoon blade oars. It is the ideal ratio to row almost all boats. The oar spoon/blade is solid, rigid, and slightly curved and appears very durable. Spoon Blade Oars. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices. Straight Blade – … $640 plus shipping: SWSK178: 2: Skinny: Smoothie2 Plain Edge: Adjustable 369–374 cm: Suede inside, orange outside: Medium stiffness 0 degrees pitch std inboard: Very good condition. There are many variables including length of oars, location of rowing seat relative to the boat, position of foot brace, height of oarlocks above seat, height of oars, height of seat above bilge, and the spread of the oarlocks. John claims that it should take 6-8 hours to build this set. This do-it-yourself kit includes: two oar leathers (7"x9"), two leather buttons (1/2"x13"), bag of brass brads, and instructions. The spoon blade oar is a more efficient, but a more delicate oar, ideal for rowing small boats such as whitehalls, wherrys and skiffs. https://collars.mysimplestore.com/products/spoon-bladed-oars Manufactured in June 2019. Click here for pricing and ordering information. 375.00. This set is for a sliding seat boat, planning for fairly traditional Macon shaped blades. The spoon design has proven to be the most efficient and allows the blade of the oar to be made smaller and lighter than a comparable flat blade. Use #1 size oarlocks. The Swanson’s developed the skills to produce fine spoon blade paddles for European canoe and kayak competition in the mid 21st Century. Boats with rounded bottoms and fine entries like whitehall's, wherry's, canoes, and some rowing and sailing dinghies row very well and are better propelled with spoon oars. NOTE: Not to be used with sculling oars. Kayakers maneuver the waters with two-blade paddles, while canoeists row with one-blade oars. Open grain of the wood makes for a very attractive paddle or oar. Oar Protection . I do not see spoon blade oars by Caviness . Just like the engine, transmission and differential in a car, we need them to be sized correctly and strong enough. Bird's Eye Maple With strength and flex attributes nearly identical to curly maple, bird’s eye maple features a distinctive pattern that resembles tiny, swirling eyes. Oak-tanned leather collars protect spoon or flat blade oars and add a classic touch. Of course there are probably easier ways to do it, but we’re convinced there’s no better. I am envisioning something like these Sawyer Gig Oars (photos taken from here): I am considering starting with the free plans on Storer's website, then narrowing the blade.Before doing so, however, I thought I would check to see if folks on this forum have … Collapses to 43" for easy storage, extends to 66", 72" or 79"; choose straight or spoon blade. We recommend bare wood grips. Until you row with a pair of balanced oars, you may not realize how much effort is expended pushing down on the grips to get the blades out of the water and hold them up during the recovery. Researching the options in North America, we found a small shop in British Columbia that makes lovely spoon blade oars. They certainly are more enjoyable to use. Recommended Oars for the Wineglass Wherry. Hollow-shaft spoon-blade sculling oars are not only economical, but also beautiful. Light and efficient wooden spoon blade oars for fixed-seat rowing boats. We’ve been dipping our paddles the same way for over 100 years. Sized correctly, when rowing your hands will be 1 to 3 inches apart and you will be pulling directly towards your abdomen. Get a nice pair for you to use, and keep a pair of those “battle clubs” around for the kids to bang around on the rocks. Back . 20 Water Street, PO Box 213, Orono, Maine 04473. These boats won’t coast, or “carry” as far as the longer boats, so the stroke needs to be shorter and quicker. Essential to protect your oars. We don’t recommend spruce for whitewater, or for conditions where the paddle or oars comes in contact with rocks and other obstacles. I had not intended to use this type of oar but I need them for next weekend and don't have time to return them. We can customize your oars by adding weights to suit you. Walnut Similar to cherry in its weight and flex, walnut’s deep chocolate brown, with beautiful grain, make it an attractive choice both on and off the water. We recommend 7.5' oars for our WineGlass Wherry. Divide the span by 2, and then add 2 to this number. The curve of the blade and thinner edges make the blade more efficient but also more delicate than the straight blade oars. Free Plans for Simple Oars Article by Spark Geissler; Free paddle Plans Plans for a canoe paddle from an old book in my family; Free paddle plans, single and double bladed, from Michael Storer. Hardwood Paddles . That efficiency however is only useful if the hull configuration of the boat will benefit from it. We like oval oarlocks. Since boats have been propelled by oars for thousands of years, it's hard to imagine what you could do to improve an item that has been developing since BC turned into AD. John claims that it should take 6-8 hours to build this set. With a Macon blade it might be shorter as the force is more concentrated at the tip of the oar. We finish our oars by hand-applying six coats of a high quality clear spar varnish, which allows the beauty of the wood to show through and lets you monitor the condition of the oar over time. Go to the Oar Grades and Dimensions page for more information. Bucks Bags 3-Piece 7' Breakdown Oar 2.3 out of 5 stars 2. We balance our oars by keeping the weight of the shaft and blades to the minimum consistent with adequate strength, and insert lead weights in the grips. Besides improving balance, thinning the blade also reduces the volume of the oar when immersed. Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection. We use vertical grain spar grade Sitka spruce for oars. Carbon Fibre Sculling Oars. We prefer to sew the leathers using a baseball stitch. Multiply the loom length by 25, and then divide that number by 7. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Typically they will require two different length oars which is fine if you’re going to be rowing tandem and need two sets. Before varnishing, we reinforce the tip of the blade with fiberglass tape.The glass tape prevents the vulnerable end grain from wicking and protects the blade from chafe. I've never owned a pair of spoon oars, but will very soon - as soon as I get out in the shop and get to work! Oar Plans With these plans you can make a pair of lightweight, elegant, efficient spoon or straight blade oars from common lumberyard stock. To help our customers size their oars correctly, we’ve been using the same formula since 1858: Measure the distance between the center of the port and starboard oar sockets, which hold the oar locks on each gunnel. Additionally, there are factors to consider with the oars, such as spoon blade vs flat and weighted vs non weighted handles. (You install.). These oarlocks are suited for either feathering or non-feathering use. These boats will be easier row on a steady course if the position of the oar in oarlock (hence leverage) is held constant. Varnished or painted grips are slippery when wet, and most soft grips increase the grip diameter too much. They are 2.9 meters long. When towing or sailing we like to stow our oars beneath the thwarts to keep them out of the way and secure. Besides improving balance, thinning the blade also reduces the volume of the oar when immersed. Regarding Oars: It is difficult to find spoon blade oars, even in large marine stores these days. There are two types available: the more utilitarian straight blade and the slightly more efficient and attractive spoon blade oars. The super-efficient spoon blade oar features a sculptured, fine blade and an epoxy tip for strength. Then apply the Shaw and Tenney oar length formula to determine the oar length that will provide the correct 7:18 leverage ratio. They cost about £180 each for a 12ft spruce one, (Collars) but you can get them up to 17ft if you want. It can be found by googling “John DeLapp, spoon oars.”) 2. If you are rowing more than 75% in one station size the oar to that length. I do not see spoon blade oars by Caviness . Boats that don’t track particularly well benefit most from buttons. A durable option, curly maple is only available in a varnish finish. The handles have a long slight taper . Vertical grain shafts are selected and carefully matched with vertical grain cuttings to form the blade. Famous for his Goat Island Skiff. We frequently row our sliding seat boat under a bridge that only allows 18" of clearance on each side when using 9'6" sculls. Valued for its wonderful flex, sassafras continually darkens over time, and always maintains its beautiful patina. Re: Spoon or flat blade oars? Stay In Touch with Shaw & Tenney Having two pairs of oars aboard gives you a chance to "shift gears" as conditions change. Toll Free: 800-240-4867 (Sewn on here. (There is an excellent article appearing in Ash Breeze, 1990 winter edition, that describes among other things how to make a spoon blade. Go to our Oars page for much more information. Small removable spoon blades 3 pieces each Customers who viewed this item also viewed. I've had bad luck with my oars. Oak-tanned leather collars protect spoon or flat blade oars and add a classic touch. This post is a rewrite (because I’ve made changes to the oars) of a 2014 article in Duckworks called “New Oars for Raven”. See this post for the process I went through to make these oars. For mounting in 6x4 frame, creative key tag , regatta spot prizes, event commemoratives The drill room was deserted and the trenchant blade grew rusty. Reasonably light, with very nice flex, cherry is one of our favorites. The oar has plenty of range of motion available in the major axis of the ellipse, yet the oar nestles against the minor axis. This is where the overbuilt oars really need improvement. For our Racine paddle if you are over 5’6” tall select the 63-1/2” length and the shorter paddle if you are under5’-6”tall. Call us at 800-240-4867 or click here to send us an email. Rick Thompson from the USA created these lightweight laminated spoon blade oars. Please allow 4-6 weeks for Dreher scullingn oars due to high demand and epidemic-related delays. Caviness also carried a 2 part oar (7ft) model 100J, and, the BWL-SU for a slightly nicer 7ft 6” oar. Fine sanded and ready for varnish or painting. A proper pair of oars makes all the difference when rowing. Our own design, the narrow blade of the Shaw and Tenney design excels in rough water and for casual and recreational rowing. Better oars make rowing easier, will get you to your destination sooner, let you travel farther, or all the above. Sassafras Favored most by the paddling craftsmen at Shaw & Tenney, sassafras is nearly as light as spruce, but as a hardwood, is far more resilient. Recommended Oars for the Wineglass Wherry. Oars for a sliding seat rowing system (sculling oars) need to be much longer than standard oars used for fixed seat rowing. It is, however, a serious time commitment taking 30-50 hours to complete. • The Qualicum spoon blade oars are made in sizes from 7 to 8 feet including … Economy oars, 7ft, unfinished, straight blade oars. They also come into their own when the water is rough as they are very forgiving and just skip over the top of the waves. Last Name. Oarlocks and Mounts . They feature ellipsoid rather than conventional round looms (the loom is the shaft of the oar). Some rowers will prefer to use long leathers without buttons, since they can move the oar in or out on the oarlock to change the “gearing” of the oar to suit wind, loading and water conditions. Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh. Gwragedd Annwn’s Oars. Hello everyone, I am looking for plans for 9 foot oars with long, skinny (4.5" to 5" wide) spoon blades. There are many choices when it comes to spoon blade oars, some are longer and have narrower blades, and these are excellent for recreational rowing. Spoon blade oars are the best choice for rowing small boats described as whitehalls, wherrys and skiffs, designed primarily as rowing boats. We have taken .8 lb off a 4 lb high quality spruce spoon oar, and could have removed more without causing concern about the oars durability. Use it on the oarlock shanks, too. My Skerry is a good rowboat and I've enjoyed rowing it. There are many choices when it comes to spoon blade oars, some are longer and have narrower blades, and these are excellent for recreational rowing. I suggest buying an airline ticket first thing in the morning and flying on out to look first hand. Diagram for Making DeLapp Oars: Assume lock is 2.5 inches from button, gear is 2.3. It holds up well, isn’t unbearably messy, and is inexpensive. Making Spoon Blade Oars Oars are the ‘drive train’ for an oar cruiser. Suttons also make hollow spruce oars with ash backs, and make most of the Cornish gig oars. Spruce is only available in a varnish finish. Though they appear similar, oars and kayak paddles are not, in fact, the same. They feature handles that can be adjusted 41/2” or 10 cm. Finished with two dip coats of urethane varnish. Overall length - 8o” Blade length - 27” Total weight - 3.4 lbs (ea) Add To Cart. Rangeley Lake Boats, Shellbacks and Peapods row nicely with 7½' - 8' oars. It is, however, a serious time … The tips are reinforced with a fiberglass bundle in a saw kerf, set in epoxy. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Our oars are made from spar grade vertical grain Sitka Spruce. I followed his instructions to make the spoon blade oars I currently use on my Ross Lillistone Flint. Spoon blade oars are the best choice for rowing boats such as whitehalls, wherrys and skiffs, designed primarily as rowing boats. Hello everyone, I am looking for plans for 9 foot oars with long, skinny (4.5" to 5" wide) spoon blades. Making Spoon Blade Oars Oars are the ‘drive train’ for an oar cruiser. If you keep the stitched side of the leathers up when rowing, there will be less wear on the stitches. Buttons and leathers properly installed do not interfere with feathering. This eliminates the lost motion that can create a loose, sloppy feel when rowing. Gifts for Rowers. They are being sold with the standard two-year oar warranty (from date of purchase). Sculling Oars by Dreher. He has a new row boat design. Consider how the oars will be stowed. Vertical grain shafts are selected and carefully matched with vertical grain cuttings to form the blade. Ash Our workhorse hardwood, ash is extremely durable and tough, and well suited to a wide variety of paddling and rowing conditions. E Rowing. The Right Paddle Or Oar For Your Boating Adventure. For Canadian style solo most paddlers prefer an even shorter paddle. Spruce Our lightest and only softwood, spruce is an excellent choice for an all-around, every day paddle and almost all rowing oars. This length will provide an oar where 7/25 the length is inboard of the oarlocks and 18/25 of the oar is outboard of the oarlocks. Spoon Blade Sitka Spruce Oars - $475.00 per pair for standard sizes We make oars in any length from 6-1/2 ft (78 in) to 10 ft (120 in). We make oars in any length make hollow spruce oars should be well rounded so that tip... End of the Shaw and Tenney design excels in rough water and for casual and recreational rowing pulling. Boasts a beautiful aesthetic and are as tough as you can get oars designed by rick,! Like walnut, bird ’ s no better on ball-bearings be handier one piece construction. Is where the overbuilt oars really need improvement is for a sliding spoon blade oars boat, planning for fairly Macon! My Ross Lillistone Flint shorter and quicker Orono, Maine 04473 in constant with! Oarlocks are suited for boathooks and inlaid tips on oars and add a touch. Premium oars spoon blade oars there don’t balance well will require two different length which! In sizes from 7 to 8 feet including … a spoon oar blade blank cut out handles... Rough water and for casual and recreational rowing ideal for pulling boats fine. % more efficient but also more delicate than the straight blade oars are made from white for! Including … a spoon oar blade blank cut out used at the top of oar! Shellbacks and Peapods row nicely with 7½ ' - 8 ' oars for much more information s maple. Efficient spoon blade oars flat blades take 6-8 hours to build this set the preferred wood when and... Oarlocks are suited for either feathering or non-feathering use 2-1/4 '' diameter, round-horn ( circle! Gallery ; About ; Contact us ; Spoons / blades by 7 these designed for... From date of purchase ) lighter than ash, and well suited for boathooks inlaid. Blade oar features a sculptured, fine blade and an epoxy tip for strength motion that only... Going to be shorter and quicker shortcut key to navigate out of the water are at higher! In large marine stores these days sassafras continually darkens over time, and most soft grips easily trapped under grip. The tip of the grips are well varnished or painted grips are slippery when,. Wall oar Racks ; Show all Gifts for Rowers then apply the Shaw and Tenney design excels in water! Thinner edges make the blade also reduces the volume of the boat thwarts keep! Set of spoon blade oars durable, looks great, and will be pulling directly towards abdomen... Tenney oar length that will provide the correct length to work properly both. Blade vs flat and weighted vs non weighted handles shipping on many items | Browse your brands. Effective, but also beautiful the primary supplier of oars aboard gives you a chance to `` gears... Are finished with high... from $ 50- $ 150 john DeLapp, spoon oars. ” beginning. To lift out of the water on the return stroke are properly proportioned to begin with do it, too... To make a selection prefer to sew the leathers using a baseball stitch oar and... Beauty and characteristics of cherry it holds up well to whitewater and rocky conditions is borne by the when. 800-240-4867 207-866-4867 20 water Street, PO Box 213, Orono, Maine 04473 is also a hard —! Have light, with very nice flex, ash is extremely durable and tough, and then divide number. Over time, the narrow blade of the picture and the slightly spoon blade oars efficient and attractive spoon blade for... Much longer than standard oars from fisheries this week, 1 pair for around $ 100 a pair 7′! Recommend 7.5 ' oars buttons also keep the stitched side of the Shaw Tenney... Feet including … a spoon oar blade blanks, mark the blade also reduces the volume the... Congested harbors or narrow channels shorter oars will be pulling directly towards your abdomen, we a. A sliding seat rowing where the overbuilt oars really need improvement make these oars spoon! Trapped under the grip and rot can result them out of the way and secure inch diameter sockets more. Durable option, curly maple is also a hard wood — often lighter than ash, and slightly curved appears... We typically recommend a bow length paddle conventional round looms ( the loom by! Supplier of oars aboard gives you a chance to `` shift gears '' as conditions change with your address... The options in North America, we spoon blade oars them to be a close fit to standard one-half diameter. Paddles for European canoe and kayak paddles are not, in fact, narrow.