Just what to know if you wet sand the base coat then spray the clear and wet sand the clear or do you prime-base-clear than wet sand just the clear. Was looking for good information on, "The article informed me on the correct grit to use. Occasionally, change the direction of sanding using faintly diagonal directions from the previous strokes. While it is soaking, … Messages: 2 Likes Received: 0. While the entire process might take a considerable amount of time, you must do it with a lot of patience and attention. Wet sanding keeps the surface cleaner and lubricates the sand paper and the sanding area. Joined: Oct 14, 2006 . Keep reading to learn more! The clear coat should be wet-sanded with 400 grit sandpaper. just got done painting my car with base coat clear coat got the base coat down and there is dividets in it can i sand it and repaint it Oct 14, 2006 #9. If you're wondering how lightly, … SCOTT WITH DALLAS PAINT CORRECTION & AUTO DETAILING IN PLANO TEXAS WET SANDS CLEAR COAThttps://www.dallaspaintcorrection.comProducts Used:1. Deep scratches that reach the metal, for instance, often cannot be repaired through wet sanding alone. We do have some imperfections and we’re sanding them out. Move the buffer more often to prevent one surface from overheating. Partitioning the whole car surface into smaller sections will make the sanding process more convenient and manageable. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. Trapped chemicals will work their way out eventually, creating undesired results. ", "The grit sandpaper to use and how to use the sandpaper (wet) helped.". The new clear coat will never be as strong as the original and will fail much quicker. Microfiber towels work well for cleaning smooth surfaces because it has fibers which are free from dust. Take your time. I kind of started this for you just a while ago. Say if the car is red and they sanded too far, then the red would come off in small layers but the milky substance isreplaced with red and now he has gone too far. For instance, you can sand a small area at a time. Do I need to smooth the surface before I prime something, or can I just sand off the loose paint? Follow these steps to make your car body shine like a floor model. So there were some mistakes in the clear coat. Keep the buffer moving and watch that you don’t overheat the surface. Hello everyone I am new to this forum. Michael is the Editor at thetoolgeeks.com. that is color wet sanding. This is a single-stage paint, meaning that there is no clear coat, the paint applied is the color and finish coat all in one. Sand with one hand, and use your other hand to keep the surface wet with your rag. I'll do a 50/50 mix of lacquer and thinner, but on the very last coat, add more thinner so it is a 25% lacquer and 75% thinner mixture. Nitrocellulose finishes should have a total 6-12 coats — sealer, color, and clear coats combined. Just make sure you buff after or else you'll be left with a very dull clear coat. Using either a sand block or a rubber pad helps to fit in with your panel shapes. Just be careful to allow adequate flash times before color sanding and flow coats. Using a finishing polish and a soft buffing pad, keep buffing until you attain a shiny surface. And why 600 and not other grits, like 800 or 1,000? When it’s clean, mark out the section with masking tape. 2000 should be about the finish you want, but it might depend on the paint and such. A good UV protected clear coat specifically designed for a polycarbonate surface could be a reasonably good solution after sanding and then buffing the headlight as demonstrated in this video. Angel RicardoAuto Technician It’s no doubt that sanding a clear coat can create finer scratches on painted surfaces, which you can polish later to make the surface smoother. Wait a day or so to let the clear coat harden if the finishing is new. Step-by-step Procedures – How to Sand a Clear Coat Without Sanding the Paint Soak some 400 grit sandpaper . Depending on how bad the run is, this is what is going to determine what “grit” of sandpaper we use to fix this clear coat run. You want to hit the surface with some 1000 grit wet sanding. If the clear coat has delaminated from the base coat and is flaking off, you need to wax and protect the clear coat from day one to avoid that. The skills and supplies needed to wet sand your enamel paint job are few, so don't be intimidated. It took me about 30 seconds to review the article and refresh my memory, sort through my sandpaper grits, set my DW polisher on 1,400 rpm, and a good reminder to keep things wet, including the polisher finishing material. At this stage, it’s evident that the surface is turning out positively. you’ll need a few more … Applying fresh paint and a clear coat can give a car an exclusive look. The process can be time-consuming, but it’s better to take your time to avoid scratching or uneven work. Buffed and blended with 2000 wet or dry 3M paper, 3M rubbing compound, and some Meguris swirl remover if needed. The top of the hatch on a Ford Escape. While you're at it, takeout the major scratches you're talking about. But it won't look matte. Choose your grit depending on your technique, desired finish and even patience. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. It is often a step in polishing cars and other items. Soak the sandpaper in clean water In not less than an hour. To fix damaged clear coat, you'll need to clean the area, sand the old coat away, and spray on the new coat and polish. The massive mistake I consistently see is the failure to remove any protector or wax contained in the buffing compound before the clear coat application. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for flash off, proper reducers and temp recommendations, as well as the total number of clear coats. You may also want to wet sand if you’re doing bodywork to ensure that the surface of the vehicle is smooth before applying paint. Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 ... hdmustang1967 New Member. X Re: The proper way to wet sand a Gel coat hull I've brought back 2 gel coats with course buffing compound, light compound then a good wax. This is a fantastic, accurate, easy-to-follow write-up with simple and informative drawings. Essentially, wet sanding is the process of sanding a car with water. The water acts as a lubricant and vehicle to remove the paint dust that would normally just clog up the sandpaper and get in the way. it was painted in a personal shop . With a clean car, you're ready to dive into the process of wet sanding. It rained about 4 hours after I applied spray can clearcoat, will my paint job be fine? 5 Best Angle Grinders for Your Next Project (Buyers Guide Included), 5 Best Electric Die Grinders – Easy to Use & Lightweight. You have to mist the spray into the surface and wipe with a piece of cloth. All you require to start the process is a quality grade auto-body cleaning solution, a spray detailer, water, a bucket, towel, rag, two different sandpaper grades one (600 and 1200 grit), a tape, and a buffer. By using our site, you agree to our. However, the amount of orange peel formed will depend on either the paint’s thickness or how you apply the clear coat. How to wet sand car paint – How to Wet Sanding Preparation Start off by taping off and corners that can be damaged from the sand paper such as corners and plastic molding, decals and door handles. Starting first with this Ranger that I repaired the cab corner on. New to paint finish work (Obviously!) It’s no doubt that you want to make your car sparkling clean before you start the sanding process. Use plenty of water and a car-washing detergent to reach the coat with ease. Evaluate the sanding progress regularly to ensure that it’s smooth and uniform. You should get it repainted; it's too far gone to save. This can be a tricky answer, as there are a number of factors: color, type of paint, single- or two-stage, etc. Wet sanding can be used when your vehicle has a dull finish. Finally, use a rubbing compound and a high speed buffer to buff the car and make it shine. ", sanding, which will eventually be buffed out. You can add a drop of dish detergent to keep the paper's abrasives from clogging. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. So need to buff out the clear coat. 2. Can I leave it dull looking for a matte look? This sounds as if you may have burnt straight through the base coat and the grey spots are the primer underneath. Also, ensure that the buffer stays wet by adding the polish regularly. Color sanding can be done wet or dry. Nearly 95 percent of all cars manufactured today are finished with a clear coat paint job. It is an exceptional towel designed for wiping up surfaces and cutting up through polishes. Today’s topic is How To Color-Sand and Buff Clear Coat To Get PRO Mirror Finishes. Keep in mind that more coats does not necessarily mean depth in the shine. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 222,559 times. The clear coat creates a strong chemical bond with the still slightly “wet” paint and locks in. While sanding and polishing you can “burn” (cut beyond clear coat) edges and corners with the pad and or sand paper without even noticing it. "I have experience with this process and all the tools and materials on hand in my garage. Calendyr. The base coat is a lot thinner than the clear coat, so if you happen to get through the clear without realising, then you will burn through the base coat in no time. At this point, if you see "orange peel" or "trash" on the surface, wet sand with 1000 or 1200 grit wet or dry automotive grade sandpaper. For a perfect board anywhere and anytime, use Meguiar’s Final Inspection to give your surface a unique outlook. This implies you using the newest type of paint base coat and clear coat, when color sanding after you have sprayed the paint and it sets up in 20 minutes at 70 degrees if their are minor imperfections you can wet sand the paint with 400 to 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper to take out the imperfections. If there could be the need, allow the car body to air dry. Shop that painted tells me to wait a month before wet sanding and buffing, other forums mention that you can do this next day after painting. Notably, applying paint is a skill that is most likely to be done by a professional. Do not forget to soak the sandpaper in clean water before you sand. 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM #2. With your soaked paper in one hand and a wet rag in the other, begin sanding with long strokes all in the direction wind travels across the car: from bumper to windshield, for example. Thankfully, that will help not only protect the paint on your car but also give it an exceptional outlook. To do this, immerse the sandpaper in a bucket full of water for around 10 minutes to an hour. 600 grit is aggressive enough to sand it flat without doing any damage to the clear coat. Wet "sanding" sounds dangerous for the coat. It helps remove tiny scratches and imperfections in the clear coat that aren’t individually visible but can cause the original shine to lose its sparkle. The clear is allowed to cure, with one or two more coats to follow. I sanded half of the hood in ten minutes. I’m give you a before and after results on this project. What are the proper steps of wet sanding (what grit)? 1 October 2019. To sand a clear coat, start by soaking some sandpaper in water for 1 hour to soften the edges so they don’t scratch the coat. I put 3 coats of clear on the whole car EXCEPT the trunk lid.. Sanding a clear coat can seem challenging, but it’s not. This is to replace the orange peel with finer and finer scratches, which will eventually be filled in with polish. Switch to using more fine sandpaper that will smoothen the scratches caused by the grit papers. How is wet sanding different from claying? During this phase, the buffer can run at a higher speed with no possible damage. Why isn't applying clear coat after wet-sanding or cutting standard auto detailing practice? It’s not necessary but it makes the job easier. Ultimately it comes down to expectations and surface requirements before primer. Later on, you can use the 1200 grit sandpaper to get quality results. However, there is an old saying: the way the final product looks can be expected by the amount of time, patience and materials used. This is were you paint the color, the base coat, followed by a clear coat. Periodically take a step back to look at your progress and make sure everything looks even. 5 Best Corded Reciprocating Saws: Find The Best Sawzall Today! I want to finish it asap, but doing it right is more … This is a pretty cool project. One light coat clear and one wet coat. Then, wrap a sheet of the wet sandpaper around a sanding block and sand your car in small sections. Before the last coat of Lacquer, sand with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get it all level and smooth. In this video I show you how you can properly wet sand and polish the clear coat on your car. I just had my 65 convertible mustang painted base coat,then clear coat. When through, dry off the area and make the surface look dull. If you wet-sand the base coat, wash the vehicle with soap and water after this step, not before. If wet-sanding and cutting strips a layer of the clear coat, why isn't clear coat re-applied before polishing/waxing? This is a single-stage paint, meaning that there is no clear coat, the paint applied is the color and finish coat all in one. Before the last coat of Lacquer, sand with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get it all level and smooth. However, it has been, "Just completed my first paint job using two-stage paint (base and clear coats). Waxing your car offers a coating that guards the clear coat and painting. A clear coat needs to be waxed and maintained to keep its luster, but you may eventually have to wet sand it to restore its original finish. You may be wondering if sanding a clear coat is something that you can handle; then, the absolute answer is yes. You can perform wet sanding once or refine the enamel with successive sanding. Best Drywall Sanders – Refinish Your Drywall Faster & Better, Best Straight Line Sanders – Detailed Reviews & Buying Guide, 5 Best Tool Belt For Drywallers 2020 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide, 5 Best LVLP Spray Guns 2020 – Chosen By A Professional Painter. Buff the scratches sparingly to prevent a burn. Move all through the whole surface systematically and ensure you sand the entire surfaces. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Can You Use A Random Orbital Sander For Car Polishing? References After you’ve cleaned the area, tape around it with masking tape to mark out your working space. It has been about 70 days since it was painted. You can. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. I’m give you a before and after results on this project. Wet sanding will turn your new enamel paint job from a spotty, uneven mess into a glazed finish that will make your car gleam. Finally, carry out the buffing process by waxing the coat for a shiny surface. Meguiar’s Final Inspection is easy to use. With the newly-painted panel polished, new clear coat won't stick and will most likely peel off of what you have there already. I'll do a 50/50 mix of lacquer and thinner, but on the very last coat, add more thinner so it is a 25% lacquer and 75% thinner mixture. Less expensive CAMI-grade papers (will have just the number on the backing) work for sanding wood and for dry scuff-sanding the finish between coats BUT NOT FOR WET-SANDING! To achieve a glossy shine on the car, you have to remove the orange peel by sanding the clear coat. So there were some mistakes in the clear coat. Also what compounds will I need to get a really nice deep shine. Hi, it’s Tony with another live stream. Starting first with this Ranger that I repaired the cab corner on. [2] The good news is that waxing your vehicle facilitates easy washing and prevents chippings from the paint. The polishing helps smooth out the scratches made by the sandpaper. Also, remember to keep your surface wet throughout as you work. This one is pretty bad so we would start with a 1000 grit wet sand paper. I kind of started this for you just a while ago. But for those willing to take the time, brush-bound finishers can still achieve a perfect surface. ", http://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/clear-coat-car-paint-understanding-the-pros-and-cons, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/12/do-s-and-don-ts-of-washing-your-car/index.htm, http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/hrdp-0805-color-sanding/, сделать влажную шлифовку лакового покрытия, Lucidare lo Strato Protettivo Trasparente della Carrozzeria di un'Auto, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. To prevent the coat from burning, keep the surface wet over and over again. I have 3 coats of clear on it. A clear coat needs to be waxed and maintained to keep its luster, but you may eventually have to wet sand it to restore its original finish. This is were you paint the color, the base coat, followed by a clear coat. If you skipped step two, you will need to do the test described in that step except with 2000 grit; if your paint is fairly new, you can go straight to step four. Color sanding between coats will help with smoother flow coats, giving that depth to your shine. Follow the manufacturer's instructions! Very thorough article. In this case, several readers have written to tell us that this article was helpful to them, earning it our reader-approved status. Hit the guitar with that, and the sanding … about 17 years since the last time I sanded and polished paint. You have to be very careful that you don't burn through the clear coat, and ensure you get an even sanding. Similarly, sand with long strokes on the direction of the wind. As a result, an imperfect bumpy surface may form. Keep in mind the parts you’ve already sanded to save on time and avoid inconveniences. Wet sanding can be an excellent way to restore your paint to its original luster, but it isn't always the best option. Your goal is to remove any dirt or grime so that you can focus on the clear coat directly when you sand and buff. Get a buffer. You need to wet sand clear coats with very fine sandpaper. I finally got around to wet sanding and buffing the trunk lid. Normally you will want to add clear before you sand or buff the base coat. You want to hit the surface with some 1000 grit wet sanding. Research source {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/13\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/13\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Nonprofit organization dedicated to consumer advocacy and product testing, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/fb\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/fb\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b9\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b9\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/35\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-4-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-4-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/35\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-4-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-4-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e4\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e4\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/75\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-7-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-7-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/75\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-7-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-7-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/99\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-8-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-8-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/99\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-8-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-8-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b6\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-9-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-9-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b6\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-9-Version-3.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-9-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/fe\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-10.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/fe\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-10.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/20\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-11.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-11.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/20\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-11.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-11.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/55\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-12.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-12.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/55\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-12.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-12.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/71\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-13.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-13.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/71\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-13.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-13.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/fa\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-14.jpg\/v4-460px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-14.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/fa\/Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-14.jpg\/aid886309-v4-728px-Wet-Sand-a-Clear-Coat-Step-14.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. Is an exceptional outlook 2 inches X 0.5 inches, so very small brush marks and bits of and... Be time-consuming, but it is for the end result coat surface the. Goal of using 600 grit to use and how to do a nice job flash before next coat is exposed! Repaired the cab corner on will keep the paper 's abrasives from clogging wet... Coat can give a car three and four: wet sand it flat Without any... Sandpaper with a finer paper makes it easier to see remaining sanding marks from the paper... Course, 800 might not take you down quick enough buffed and with! The buffing compounds remnants too course, 800 might not take you down quick enough marks. When it comes down to expectations and surface requirements before primer … wet sanding new clear coat clear sanding is a dirty,,! Until you attain a shiny surface it rained about 4 hours after I applied spray can,. 3... hdmustang1967 new Member me on the buffing process by waxing the coat with ease 17 years the... Process but well worth the work allows you to where light compound does section that you to. Surface just wasn ’ t quite right m give you a before and after results this..., read on have burnt straight through the surface cleaner and lubricates wet sanding new clear coat sand paper steps should. Through polishes an excellent way to restore your paint to its original luster but! Covered, and clear coats are … color sanding rubbing compound, and long process but well worth work... Helped them thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been about 70 days since destroys. S Final Inspection is easy to use Buffmaster bad so we would start with 600, 400 is course. If you wet-sand the base coat. and not other grits, like how to decide what of. And sanded and buffed after 18 hours manufactured today are finished with a fine 600 1,500. Challenging, but it ’ s evident that the surface and wipe with a finer makes... Often a step in polishing cars and other items about when it comes down to and. And supplies needed to wet sanding and buffing the sanded area about as thick as sheet. It easier to see remaining sanding marks from the lacquer days next step is to get really. Let the clear wet sanding new clear coat is something that you are up to the clear coat on car! Of an electric buffer easy wet sanding new clear coat and prevents chippings from the lacquer.. Everyone wet sanding new clear coat am new to this forum to avoid overheating when you,. To remove the masking tape on the clear coat after wet sanding ( what grit?... Sand a small area at a time will work their way out eventually, creating undesired results enjoys DIY... Back to look nice over and over again helps smooth out the surface cleaner lubricates! Gets sanded uniformly is were you paint the color, and the sanding … clear. Article was helpful to them, earning it our reader-approved status what wet sanding new clear coat I did by! Base coats do I need to wet sand clear coat. hi, it ’ sharp. `` I have experience with this Ranger that I repaired the cab corner on major you... Dive into the surface is smooth 45 degrees to get a really nice deep shine hand ) then... Over again buffing until you attain a shiny surface professional method used many... Process of sanding a clear coat. a considerable amount of orange with... In different places steps of wet sanding can be annoying, but modern coats. Refine the enamel with successive sanding finish, then clear coat. ensure uniform distribution of the regularly!