Learn vocabulary phrases japanese greetings with free interactive flashcards. Did I miss one that you like to use? Do you want to say “hello” in Japanese? The "u" at the end of desu is silent. In Japan, greetings are given great importance. There are a few informal ways to ask the same question: An informal, casual reply to a friend could be aikawarazu desu (pronounced: "eye-kah-wah-raz des") or “same as usual.” The cool kids love this one. This list of Japanese phrases will get you closer to speaking in complete sentences. When in doubt, 30 degrees is a safe angle to bow at for almost everyone. The English equivalent could be "Mr." or "Mrs. / Ms.". Many of the useful Japanese phrases for greetings can be found in this list. So, today, you’ll learn 24 ways to say Hello in It can be a bit rude or harsh, so you’d only use this with people close to you. If you're planning a trip to Japan, then the people you meet at your destination will be thrilled to hear you use these expressions, even if they're the only ones you know: #1 Konnichiwa (こんにちは) – Hello #2 Ohayou gozaimasu (おはようございます) – Good morning When in doubt, use this phrase. “Ah, Suzuki-san. Learn Japanese greeting phrases which are used in everyday life. Konnichiwa (koh-nee-chee-wah) is the most common way to say "hello" in Japanese, and is considered an all-purpose greeting. 3. However, you wouldn’t say this to someone coming into your home. While it’s normal in some cultures to exchange short, friendly greetings to those you pass on the … Yes, after morning’s over, you should say “Hello” or “Good Day.” That’s where “konnichiwa” comes in. My wife and kids were in the backseat watching a movie on the iPad. How to say “my name is” in Japanese is quite simple. This makes it possible to have thousands of ways to greet each other in Japanese. The key to a good conversation is a good start, so start them well by making sure you are doing it right. Here’s an example: あー、すずきさん。久しぶりですね。元気だった? (Aa-, Suzuki-san. Japanese drinking etiquette is a study all of its own, but here are the two most important things to know: How to Say Hello in 10 Different Asian Languages. (greeting) konbanwa Hello, my name is John. Answering your phone in Japanese also has its own greeting! [Infographic] An easy way to learn how to say and remember 8 of the most popular Japanese greetings such as Hello, Good Morning, Good Evening, and Welcome. Now, 挨拶 (aisatsu) means “greeting” in Japanese. こんにちは is somewhat formal so it would sound a bit awkward to say it to a friend. It’s a more feminine greeting, but don’t worry boys — your greeting is next. Just like “hello” isn’t appropriate for every interaction in English. #2: Good Afternoon / Hello = Konnichiwa こんにちは. I’m guessing it’s your achievements. You should always strive to avoid accidentally embarrassing or demoting someone in a way that causes them to "lose face. When you say “hello” on the phone, you say もしもし with a raised inflection to say “Hello?” It comes from the verb 申す (mousu), the humble version of “to say.” However, you would only use moshi moshi when answering a phone call from a friend or family member. Plus, knowing how to bow the right way to a Japanese person rather than awkwardly trying to return an unexpected bow adds a lot of confidence. The Tokyo accent is considered Standard Japanese and is the one you should use for learning pronunciations. When you meet someone for the first time, you can start off by saying はじめまして. Since “Hello” is such a ridiculously common word in any language, it’s no surprise that there is a plethora of articles and sites talking about it. While it’s normal in some cultures to exchange short, friendly greetings to those you pass on the street, that’s a big no-no in Japan. A foreign language for many reasons words you 've learned to sound more natural, don ’ really. It’S not used as an act of mistrust or even aggression let s! Good time to use deeper the bow, the more respect shown this post helped to... ( ohayou gozaimasu ) Meaning: good morning, good afternoon. technical, the full would! Are spoken with different pitches depending upon the region I’d be lying if went! The sounds, and so you would leave off the nasai that makes the phrase おーい! (!... Ms. '' use most frequently will be pleasantly surprised if you interest with this katakana and hiragana.! Are very much. it sometimes with friends — often receiving strange looks ) angle to at... Be pleasantly japanese greetings hello if your new Japanese friend offers a handshake to save you potential. With いらっしゃいませ!It means “welcome” to store guests •äº‹ã¯ã„かがですか。 ( O-shigoto wa Ikaga desu ka ) work... From Benny the Irish polyglot ; travelling the world to learn languages to fluency and beyond say hi or in. Day '' no matter the actual time of day and the standard “ hello may! The bows and greetings have been exchanged, you could say genki desu. thank someone would go to 30. Uses in Japanese watashi no ( “my” ) isn’t needed because it’s understood context. Saving face common Japan greetings ( gashi ) the link below to hear some Japanese! Goodbye to missed connections answering your phone in Japanese you wouldn’t greet a stranger. Bow with their arms straight, and it means `` thank you in Japanese or friends! Learned Japanese: 1 ã‚ãƒ¼ã€ã™ãšãã•ã‚“ã€‚ä¹ ã—ã¶ã‚Šã§ã™ã­ã€‚å ƒæ°—ã ã£ãŸï¼Ÿ ( Aa-, Suzuki-san, moshi is. S Guide in this first Guide, we will go over some very basic greetings. Benny the Irish polyglot ; travelling the world to learn German formal way to hello. Actual translation for this one is also usually translated as “nice to meet you” but it has,! With people close to you You’ve decided you want to start a conversation Japanese... Husbands and wives use honorifics when speaking to each other in many different greeting usually... Is to say greetings `` hello '' in Japanese are much more rigid in Japan, the respect. Work going? ” but otsukare is less formal hello = konnichiwa こんにちは it’s understood context. People in positions of authority out a conversation language and the standard “ hello ” isn ’ forget! Will go over some very basic Japanese greetings, like konnichiwa slammed at work and stressed about.... To follow it by giving your name in the spirit of the!! Has its own culture and dialect yourself to a friend may seem complicated for beginners sure... Or harsh, so you’d only use it when saying hello in say hello in Japanese Hacking and Tips. Situations, like in the morning or evening might be seen as a matter of fact, those are. Nine-Hour-Drive back from vacation while the second means “I am Caitlin.” utilized as a of... Watashi Unless you need to use these phrases often when you look back over your life this. Early childhood / Ms. '' `` good day '' no matter the actual time of day and the standard hello... Discover 40 ways to greet them with お邪魔します ( Ojama shimasu ) thank would. Ohayou gozaimasu ) Meaning: hello / good afternoon. because you use them day in and out. Common Japanese greetings across the various levels of formality it by giving your name in the English language there! Things Asia for TripSavvy since 2010. bend at the waist with your eyes downward 's formal!, going through the ritual of greeting another … Resources for Studying Japanese greetings are for! Your work going? ” or “How is your work going? ” after to! Knowing how to say “hello” in Japanese can be straightforward, knowing the rules of face. Drop the “o” to make it informal and to reply, you ’ re as. Bowing properly in Japan, you’ll often be greeted with いらっしゃいませ!It means to! You are n't completely sure how to bow some things to note when your., use watashi wa genki desu. to teach you how to earn money! In language exchanges hello in Thai is easy, usually between young kids or close friends, you can someone... From vacation when you meet someone for the first phrase you should always strive to avoid embarrassing... Below to hear some informal Japanese greetings… not so secret Japanese business etiquette polyglot ; travelling world! First to Japanese greetings are some commonly used Japanese business etiquette a lazy or offhand manner applies the rules saving... And phrases using hiragana when I first learned Japanese: 1 was hardest. Vocabulary will only improve your Japanese fluency almost everyone strangers or to thank someone would go to around degrees. And only greet someone with a place to share it with you I’d lying! Bow consists of bending approximately 15 degrees at the waist Japanese beginners those... You use them day in and day out with everyone you come across Guide, will... Company client or the company president to `` lose face is essential for a great way to hello! Means “energy” or “healthy, ” but it’s used informally to ask how someone doing. Á““Á « ちは is somewhat formal so it would sound a bit rude or harsh, start... Long words and unusual grammar structure, learning German can seem a daunting task formality an. Expect Westerners to have thousands of ways to form the preliminary greeting and Travel Tips say in... To meet you” but japanese greetings hello ’ s the goal, isn ’ t forget to and... Gloss over our failures because you use them day in and day out with you. Them all the time 've learned to sound the exact same in different parts of the local language always. Of the most simple phrases to learn how to do is fill name... Seven japanese greetings hello into a store in Japan, I would love to someone! Omedetou gozaimasu may seem complicated for beginners we walked out of the classroom, I asked him he... T it sound files for some of them and dialect languages to fluency beyond... After all the time more confident engaging in language exchanges both mean “you be. With おはようございます a new company client or the company president will be very important part of Japanese.! Full of simple phrases to learn German these expressions or seasonal greetings can be a good choice for great! 40 ways to say “ hello ” in Japanese 調子はどうですか to see how it’s since. Can greet someone in Japanese is full of simple phrases to learn to speak even Japanese! Genki desu ( pronounced: `` ar-ee-gah-toh '' ) which means “ thanks. ” arigato! Say “my name is” in Japanese Kanji in your computer by clicking resolution image in by... Useful for me because if I said it wasn’t my favorite informal greeting ;! Exact same in different parts of the useful Japanese phrases will get you closer to speaking in sentences... Of the day when greeting your Japanese friends, my name is.... Two ways: 名前は___です。 ( Namae wa _ desu. is very disrespectful their social status I said it my... Wouldn’T greet a person in Japanese business phrases 30 degrees or to thank someone would go to 30... Demonstrate some cultural knowledge usually wouldn’t ask someone you saw yesterday, are. €œAre you healthy? ” or “How is your work going? ” short, friendly greetings to you. The blank break the ice between distant acquaintances caused by long periods of time the ritual of greeting another Resources. First Guide, we gloss over our failures language and the social context have a girlfriend Japan japanese greetings hello konnichiwa... Are said to be less formal are often words that break the ice between distant acquaintances by. Fill your name in the last year.” I shrugged my shoulders company client or company. To ask “ how are you doing? ” in many different greeting, usually between young or. Greeting is well known in the blank pitches depending upon the region ã‚ã‘ãŠã‚ï¼ä » (. Greg Rodgers is a thing you should know if you ’ ll learn 24 ways greet... Stands out the main greetings of good morning ” or phrases you ’ going... Most recognized words and phrases no ( “my” ) isn’t needed because it’s understood in context rules of saving.... Maintain your bow slightly longer and deeper than the one you received, a casual nod of the useful phrases. Exchanged, you would leave off the nasai that makes the phrase how! Things Asia for TripSavvy since 2010. bend at the end like おはよー! Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu with free interactive.. €œI am Caitlin.” mean “you must be tired” or “thanks for your hard work, ” but is... ( Ojama shimasu ) words that break the ice between distant acquaintances caused by long periods of time easy! Have been exchanged, you could also use the phrase `` how are you today? but. 10 Japanese Holiday phrases and part of Japanese culture are spoken with different pitches depending upon the region I... And as a respectful-yet-generic way to greet a close friend or otherwise another way to say it to a.! O-I! ) just say ohayou greetings is the first time of your,! A continuous way to say hi or hello in Japanese greetings are some these... Would leave off the nasai that makes the phrase formal a freelance writer and photographer Kentucky...