The longer the better. Definitely a new go to! Pork is best served the day after it is cooked completely and sauce is made. Thanks for sharing a keeper. i made this yesterday! Try it and let us know if your Cafe Rio cravings are satisfied! Im so glad it turned out well for you and thanks for sharing. How long would you recommend I cook the meat for in my 8qt IP? A Bountiful Kitchen Cookbook, filled with recipes, photos, stories, and special notes from me, is now available for purchase! -Cook onions in a pan with oil until caramelized, add to cooked pork and enchilada sauce. This error message is only visible to WordPress admins, Menu Plan Monday #121 - Life In The Lofthouse, Menu Plan Monday #165 - Life In The Lofthouse, Sweet Pork Nachos - Life In The Lofthouse, Light Creamy Tomatillo Dressing - Life In The Lofthouse. I ordered my groceries online (including the pork roast) and when I got home from picking them up, I found a 20 pound roast! To help my sister out for her blessing I offered to do the pork for my mom and was feeling a little nervous but of course this recipe was not only delicious it was simple too! (Thank you to The Sisters Cafe for such an awesome recipe!) Just made this recipe for the second time. We love this pork! I would cut it into thirds and definitely do it in the oven. Each time I visit Utah, a visit to Cafe Rio is required at least once. Delicious sweet pulled pork perfect for your favorite Mexican food dish. Cilantro Lime Dressing, Oh. Sorry Christine, but thanks for trying it. Could I pull this off w/the normal sauce packet and then add garlic powder? enchilada sauce (can) How to cook . I know, I know. Over the years I have read many comments, suggestions and tips for preparing the highly guarded secrets in Cafe Rio recipes, namely the Sweet Pork recipe. Could you put soda in the instant pot instead of water? I preferred the finished consistency of the shoulder meat. But heres the deal. Karis Garden Salsa I think you need the sweetness of regular soda for this recipe. It is wonderful. First its so easy, and second its delicious! I like my endings all wrapped up. Not quite the same as Cafe Rio, but Ill definitely make it again! Si. 2c packed is too sweet so I used 1.5c. Im guessing when making the sauce? All of those pics should be pinnable. enchilada sauce can If you do try this recipe, be sure to try their Garlic Black Beans as wellso good! Cooking in the Instant Pot is totally different than cooking in a slow cooker. This is my favorite cafe rio pork recipe. Im planning to make this for cinco de mayo tomorrow. How long would it need to be in the oven for a 7lb pork roast? I used pork butt and my meat was thought at 6 hrs and I cant even shred. The pork is marinated and slow-cooked to perfection in some surprising ingredients! See our disclosure policy. If using a frozen roast, how would I need to adjust the cook time? You could open a restaurant. I need guidance. Merely arrange everything in the dish with the pork and get rid of it after baking. This new IP recipe takes about two hours start to finish, with most of the time spent in the Instant Pot, cooking the meat! Si. Who says eating healthier means you have to give up everything?! If you turn the crock pot on high and heat it for another 30 to 45 minutes it should be good to go! This recipe is the most spot on i have ever found. Youll have to try ours and see how it compares in taste! I have tried a lot of different sweet pork recipes. Basically, thats asking for an actual recipe. Hi Mindy! Rumor has it that Dr Pepper or Coke are the preferred pops for Cafe Rio, choose whichever you prefer. At what point in the recipe do you add these vegetables? Toss into your preferred salad or burrito! I missed this because I was doing all the other recipes as well. Thanks for reading ABK and thanks for your help. Have you made this and froze it for use later? Yum! Oh it's so good! ), but occasionally Ill get the quesadilla because its gooey. I actually called General Mills and was told they discontinued it. Pour half of the can of soda around the roast in the slow cooker. I have both a 6 nd 8 quart, I most often use the 6 quart unless Im cooking for a big crowd or cooking two dishes at once in the IP. How can i SUBSTITUTE the pork for chicken? Use it to top a salad, a burrito, or a taco. I m making it again today. Thanks! Good job! Required fields are marked *. Pour half of the Coke and water around pork. This is the best sweet pork recipe Ive tried! Im so excited to make this. I have always marinated my pork the night before or for at least a couple hours, but if you forget or just dont have time go ahead and cook it without marinading it. Your email address will not be published. Thanks for ALL of your great Cafe Rio copycat recipes, Si! How would you suggest I heat it up once at camp? . Las Palmas brand used at Cafe Rio. Really? i didnt continue to cook with sauce mixture but Im sure it would make the flavor more deep and perhaps a little thicker maybe? Many pressure cooking experts agree that releasing the pressure manually (turning the pressure valve to release) will cause the meat to be tough. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH for about 3-4 hours. I made extra sweet sauce, would I be able to freeze the sauce alone to use for my next batch of sweet pork later this month? Oh, I wish you did! Just had to say thank you again! Si. No cafe rio close by. Yay! Dump all the liquid in the crockpot. Cut off the meat and shred it. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper over pork roast. Hence, 4 out of 5 stars. How to make Shredded Sweet Pork (CopyCat Cafe Rio): Cut the roast into large chunks of pork. Place 3 tablespoons spice mix in a large gallon size Ziplock bag. Im hoping to serve 8 people. IM planning on tripling it for a birthday PARTy. We have used it and it was pretty good but we are working on a new recipe since we cant find that cooking sauce anymore. It is so yummy! Thanks! Combine the cola stevia and cherry flavoring in a 12 fl oz (350 mL) glass. The IP cooks at such a high temperature and pressure for a small amount of time, while the slow cooker is the complete opposite. Place the seasoned pork roast into the slow cooker. It is a family favorite for sure! You can also use the meat in tacos, enchiladas or burritos. This was super yummy! You do not need to change the cooking time. Si. xo Can you please post or send me the old recipe? Pull apart pork with two forks and discard the fat. Thanks for reading ABK, Or just the last 2 hours add the mixture? Shanna's Jiffy Mix Cornbread Made Better! I make my IP pork similar to yours but pour 1/2 liter of Dr pepper around pork chunks in IP and cook under manual pressure for 60 min unless very large portion in 8 qt I would cook for 75 min. I would totally make this again. I would wait to put the sauce on until you are ready to serve it. Ive seen some other recipes use Coke and I think it would definitely add to the flavor. Thank you for your kind comments! It is so tricky to recreate! I think if I double it there should be enough. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker. :o). I definitely saving this one! Cant wait to make it. I used to work at a Costa Vida and the sweet pork is very similar to Cafe Rios. Sounds yummy. Its that good! Here are the tips and secrets, all in one place for you to sift through and decided if you want to incorporate any into your recipe. XO When using an IP, it is extremely important when cooking meat to allow the meat to naturally release the pressure in the pot. We recently moved ro an area where we no longer have quick access to cafe rio (our fave). We especially like it in quesidillas. Hi Kathy! And the other 50% of the judges liked my moms recipe! So ive been following the steps as i make it and just got to the part that says set timer to 50 min. By taco seasoning mixes and the Spanish rice. Its delicious! You can also use Boneless Pork Rib meat, which is basically the same thing as the shoulder, without the bone. It is heaven! Sounds delicious. Complete fail and waste of a lot of money. Cant wait to try your recipe. Maybe closer to 35lbs if you are feeding hungry lacrosse players! Whisk to combine. This pork is SO flavorful! Hope this helps and thanks for asking! Finally got around to making this in the crockpot yesterday. Looking forward to making this. In a small bowl, mix about a can and a half of coke and about 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. tastes amazing leftover too!!!! Remove Chipotle chilies and shred meat. 50 min and I let it npr for 1hr until I was ready to finish dinner. With this recipe, you can now have the amazing taste of Cafe Rio Pork at home all you need is a few simple ingredients and a crock pot. Glad it was such a hit for you. We have a whole section. Place all other ingredients in a blender and puree until very smooth. Can this be made ahead of time and frozen? I just asked about the spice mix being the right amount for the recipe or if it makes more. Thank you! If you want a true copycat of Cafe Rio sweet pork, you have to use a bone in pork shoulder/butt with a nice fat pad on top. yay!) This looks so delicious!! Place roast inside slow cooker. Discard the juices in the slow cooker and then add the shredded pork back in along with the sweet sauce and mix together. Your ingredient list doesnt have the taco sauce on it. Then place the pork in the slow cooker and turn it on high and let the meat cook for 4 hour. I am getting windy, but the Instant Pot version of CRP is amazing. We have a smaller group, of about 30. Be sure to check out all our other tasty Mexican Recipes! Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. I love that! If you want to start the meat at 3:00 pm when you leave to start driving carpool, go ahead, the meat will be fine in the Instant Pot for hours. Tips and Secrets for perfect Cafe Rio Sweet Pork! Rub with garlic salt and pour 2 cups of coke and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6. I love this recipe and cant find any sauce either. Required fields are marked *. Perfect for burritos, salads and tacos! You can put this sweet pork into a salad, in a burrito, in enchiladas, on top of nachos, in a rice bowl, or in a quesadilla like we already discussed above. Add the 2 tablespoons of reserved spices, red enchilada sauce, brown sugar, green chiles and green salsa/enchilada sauce and stir/toss to combine. Everyone at my family gathering loved it. I have a very happy husband! I bought a 9lb pork shoulder. Not sure if tripling it will fit in one crock pot, so I would just use two separate crock pots/ slow cookers. Served ot with spanish yellow rice and black beans. So I thought it was a quick dinner. Cover and cook on high 3 hours. xo -Simmer pork in a pan with cut up yellow onions, serrano peppers and chopped carrots. Seriously! I love all your copy cat recipes but cant seem to find one for the spicy pork! Neither has a high enough fat content to make the fall apart finished product youre looking for. Weve perfected the Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Copycat Recipe! I make this so often and it is now the ONLY way i make sweet pork! This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories. And I think you will have enough sauce for an 8 lb roast. Si, Crystal I should have mentioned above, chicken will take way less time. Sorry about the half eaten salad in this next pictureit was SO good that I forgot to take a picture before I ate most of it! Chill at least 1 hour or overnight. xo, You could try to add more brown sugar to compensate if you absolutely cannot find or use a regular soda. You can just turn it on and walk away! xo Instructions . -I somehow didnt have onion powder, for the first stage of rubbing the spices on the meat in the ziploc. Sorry about the confusion. Just Clarification, do you cook it for 6 hours or 8-9 hours and then an additional 2 hours after adding the remaining ingredients? So happy you enjoyed it! So I didnt cook it too long when that happened I actually need to cook it longer and it will get more tender? Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Burrito Copycat Recipe, Creamy Tomatillo Ranch Dressing (Cafe Rio Copycat), Cafe Rio Copycat Recipes All the Best in One Place, Our Version of Cafe Rios Chicken Tortilla Soup, Our Version of Cafe Rios Sweet Pork Burrito, Our Version of Cafe Rios Cilantro-Lime Rice and Black Beans. Thank you! I made this after reading all of the reviews and it was a hit. I havent tried the old elpaso version, but this is very close to the cafe rio flavor. You can now make Cafe Rio Sweet Pork at home! I strained the meat, but it looks nothing like yours!! Thanks! Does anyone have a suggestion for recreating the Old El Paso sauce. Cook, covered, for 6 to 7 hours on low heat. Sautd a 6.5# pork shoulder on all sides and cooked for 52 min + 50 min natural release and it was still not cooked all the way through, which left the meat tough and not able to be shredded. Just made this today and no one in my family could wait a day to let it set. Maybe they will give me a hint. Lets all be nice. Si. Drain marinade and put pork, can of coke, water, and garlic salt in crock pot on high for about 3-4 hours (or until it shreds easily, but dont let it get TOO dry) or on low for 8 hours. thanks for reading ABK, Thanks for this amazing recipe! My hubby is the biggest sweet pork fan. Weve fed 8 just fine with it but you could always double it and have leftovers! Should cook time stay the same or would you suggest longer? Im a total homebody. Is it 10 hours total on low? Also, did not take 8 hours in our crock pot, more like 6 total. Discard the liquid from the slow cooker. Let us know how it turns out! The sugar in the drink break down the fibers in the meat. Thank you so much for this recipe!! Shred as normal, preparing the sauce separate and toss to combine. ), and happy to be watched over by 2 dogs. Frontera Red Chile with roasted tomato and garlic Enchilada Sauce. The sauce will darken and thicken to a thin glaze. I have always marinated my pork the night before or for at least a couple hours, but if you forget or just dont have time go ahead and cook it without marinading it. Just to make sure of our results, I took both cooked recipes to my brother and sister-in-law (who just had a baby! Thanks for sharing this, I cant wait to try it! Shred the meat well, discarding large pieces of the fat pad. Question: I am making this for girls camp. How long should i cook it? Oh my gosh, cant thank you enough for perfecting this recipe for the instant pot. Im with you Natalie! Caramelized the chopped onions and then add them with the carrots and peppers to the sauce in the IP before adding the meat and then add the shredded pork and let it stay on warm for a while? It is unnecessary to cover the roast with it. Thanks again! It really is the saddest thing! Yum. Si, Does this spice mix make the amount one would need to make this recipe, or does it make more? xo Being critical is mean, but this is not what Id expect on a food blog. I figured some butts/shoulders were just tougher. Thanks to todays recipe, I can make the delicious sweet pork at home in mycrock pot. If you buy lean cuts of pork, your Instant Pot Cafe Rio Sweet Pork will not taste like Cafe Rios Pork. Keep warm until serving. Throw out fluids. In a food processor or blender, blend can Coke, chilies, enchilada sauce and remaining brown sugar (about a cup, you can add a little more or less to taste).