Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow, The poem talks about old christians belief that human beings will by no means die and the writer xrays death as something so much fragile that it can never do anything by itself.he says death should not be proud because one you too will die.muhammad badamasi tsaure udus university | Posted on 2014-05-08 | by a guest . The speaker is talking to a captain who has died. Charms, whether magical or romantic, are bewitching and bewailing, at least for the one who has fallen beneath their spell. HOLY SONNETS 10 Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so ; For those, whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow, Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me. And death shall be no more, death, thou shalt die. b. And death shall be no more, comma, Death thou shalt die. The entire poem is addressed to Death. What does 'the holy' mean? Each student will focus on a different task. John Donne (born January 22, 1572 died March 31, 1631) shifted dramatically in his life: The early Donne was the passionate lover and rebel of sense; the later Donne, a man consumed with his own spiritual journey and search for truth. Here, Donne has taken a Romantic form and transformed a transcendental struggle of life and death into a quiet ending, one in which death shall be no more.. Death is further impoverished, ruined, left desolate. In this neat conceit, Death himself is fooled, limited by the surface. Where Johnson spied cumbersome force, Donnes style dazzles with soft and calm brilliance, even in the cascade of calumnies against the great equalizer Death. It is spoken by Queen Gertrude. D: And doest with poison, war, and, In Song of Myself, number 33, Whitman personifies death as something chasing a ship. Like Death when he shuts up the day of life; Each part, deprived of supple government. The poet also uses metaphor, which is a comparison not using the words like or as. He also compares death to a short sleep, from which humans awaken into eternal life. From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be. A. simile B. paradox C. metaphor D. personification D? Donne employs anaphora, which is starting repeated lines with the same word. The last line alludes to 1 Corinthians 15:26: "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death". Note that in both of . Accessed 5 Mar. May 30th, 2021 by . Man in eternal life witnesses death succumbing to himself. Death has no reason to be proud; some may call it "mighty and dreadful," but it really isn't. Here Poppy means opium I think In the mean time, against thou shalt awake, Shall Romeo by my letters know our drift, And hither shall he come: and he and I. What a wicked end, the poet has mocked, derided, denounced, and diminished death into a cruel joke, a maxim which maximizes the power of the man reborn, trusting in a higher power to infuse him with eternal life, forever inoculating him from the subtleties of war, poison, and sickness all. The speaker first humbles Death by telling him that his idea that he has the power to overthrow lives is simply an illusion, and that he has no such power at all. 1. Latest answer posted July 23, 2011 at 3:40:31 PM. And Death shall be no more ; Death, thou shalt die." Thus, "one short sleep past", that is, after we are dead a fleeting moment, "we wake eternally", that is, we will wake up resurrected, to eternal life, never to sleep or die again. He compares death to a slave. Thanatopsis William Cullen Bryant Death is the one who must take the orders. The speaker, however, with a voice of absolute authority on the matter, simply states, thou art not so. "Sonnet X", also known by its opening words as "Death Be Not Proud", is a fourteen-line poem, or sonnet, by English poet John Donne (15721631), one of the leading figures in the metaphysical poets group of seventeenth-century English literature. Further, even though Death has power, its power is severely limited. . This, https://poemanalysis.com/john-donne/death-be-not-proud-holy-sonnet-10/, Poems covered in the Educational Syllabus. When I see foreigners wearing traditional Korean clothes on Lunar New Year's Day in Korea. As in sleep there is the possibility of, 1. 2023. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. And better than thy stroake; why swell'st thou then? Then, to further humiliate Death, the speaker calls him Poor Death. Here, death as deemed a slave, a unique trope, one, which the poet fashions with wit and wisdom. Fate is far greater the force than the end of life which menaces many men. This both echoes the sentiments of the poem, nothing that Death is the enemy of humanity, and that Death has no power itself. Donne then returns to criticizing Death for thinking too highly of itself: Death is no sovereign, but a slave to Fate, chance, kings, and desperate men (line 9); this last demonstrates that there is no hierarchy in which Death is near the top. In John Donne's "Holy Sonnet 6," how do Donne's paradoxical statements depend on a contrast. The speaker continues to taunt Death, even more, saying that all he brings is a little sleep, and he doesnt even do that as well as some other bringers of rest such as poppy or charms. This type of death triggers the birth of a new star. A. metaphor. Already a member? The name of the fifth volume of the light novel "86: Eighty Six" by Asato Asato. Well, this is the beauty of the paradox. Here in Death, be not Proud, the speaker accuses the death of having illusions of grandeur. And death shall be no more, death, thou shalt die. Apostrophe ( Greek , apostroph, "turning away"; the final e being sounded) [1] is an exclamatory figure of speech. In this case, death is non-human, but Donne uses the literary device apostrophe to address death as if death is a person to whom Donne is writing. The speaker concludes with the assertion that Death is nothing more than a short sleep that leads to eternal life. 2. They underscore the fact that everyone makes mistakes 2. He uses the rhyme scheme ABBA, ending with a rhyming couplet. In this poem, the speaker affronts an enemy, Death personified. And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die. And soonest our best men with thee do go. He tells Death that he is not mighty and dreadful, but rather a poor slave who cannot even, The speaker continues to taunt Death, even more, saying that all he brings is a little sleep, and he doesnt even do that as well as some other bringers of rest such as poppy or charms. Most editions number the poem as the tenth in the sonnet sequence, which follows the order of poems in the Westmoreland Manuscript (c.1620), the most complete arrangement of the cycle, discovered in the late nineteenth century. Throughout the poem, Bryant explores death as the most important theme, but others include nature, unity, and peace. D. door 7. In any case, death is but a short sleep, a prelude to better things: the elevation of our souls to eternal life: And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die. He paints a picture of Death as an arrogant being, and one who needs to be humbled. "Death Be Not Proud" was partially recited by Jason Miller as Patient X in the film The Exorcist III. eNotes Editorial, 17 Apr. Mighty and dreadful, two weighty terms, do not belong nor confer any majesty on death. Here in Death, be not Proud, the speaker says that the best men seem to experience death the soonest. Jerusalem and Haifa. Fate, chance, kings and desperate men are yoked together, not in bondage but in freedom, in their power to inflict and manipulate death at will. He claims that while Death thinks that he has the power to kill, he actually does not. What is the paraphrasable meaning of sonnet 17 from John Donne's Holy Sonnets? From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee, Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow, And soonest our best men with thee doe goe, The sonnet is written mostly in iambic pentameter and is part of a series known as Donne's "Holy Sonnets" (or "Divine Meditations"/ "Divine Sonnets"). In general with all the poems on this website, I also want to know more about the authors that wrote them too. Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow. And better than thy stroke; why swellst thou then? It is the will of man that triumphs over the cessation of life, the will to believe in what cannot be seen, to dismiss poor death as mere pictures compared to the substance of life infused with the Spirit. GradeSaver, 10 June 2012 Web. answer choices . from University of Oxford Ph.D. from University of Leicester, Other educators have already noted that the key literary device holding this poem together is the personification of Death. Let us know your assignment type and we'll make sure to get you exactly the kind of answer you need. Finally, the speaker predicts the end of Death itself, stating Death, thou shalt die.. And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell. Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men, And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell, And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well, And better than thy stroake; why swell'st thou then; One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally, And death shall be no more, death, thou shalt die. Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me. Addressing an inanimate object or concept (like death) in a poem is called apostrophe. And soonest our best men with thee do go, Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery. In thy best robes uncover'd on the bier. "You must decide whether you will help me or not." An example would be "hand" as in "hand in marriage." B. life is illusion. The poet establishes a defiant tone, directly addressing and jeering at death as nothing to be afraid of, telling him he is not mighty or dreadful. And soonest our best men with thee do go, buick lacrosse for sale under $10,000. And then awake, as from a pleasant sleep. And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then? Roman. Not only is Death the servant of other powers and essentially impotent to truly kill anyone, but also Death is itself destined to die when, as in the Christian tradition, the dead are resurrected to their eternal reward. Death, thou shalt die. Death is now bereft of pride, like a witless cowboy who has shot himself in the foot, powerless and wounded, and by his own stroke. Death cannot call itself proud, and the speaker will provide the support for this statement throughout the poem. A few examples of these contracted terms include "I am" to "I'm," "we have" to "we've," or "do not" to "don't." On the other hand, the apostrophe can also pertain to a literary device. Addressing Death as a person, the speaker warns Death against pride in his power. Mighty and dreadful, for thou are not so; For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow. Not affiliated with Harvard College. Donne describes how people think of death as "Mighty and dreadful" (2). When he addresses death with thou, it is as if he is addressing death as a person (thou being the equivalent of you today). Tags: Question 4 . Here, the speaker takes on a stronger tone and begins to taunt Death with more ferocity than he did at first. The panorama of life and legacy has overcome death time and again, yet Donne expounds the expansive exploitation of death in one verse. Latest answer posted August 03, 2020 at 12:03:03 PM. resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss thenovel. (I, for some reason, prefer a) Thank you very much for, However, I altered my traps; and not to trouble you with particulars, going one morning to see my traps, I found in one of them a large old he-goat Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe I think it is, The diction of this peom is much harsher than that of the previous poem. Enjoy eNotes ad-free and cancel anytime. An imperative phrase begins with a verb, and is expressed as an order. And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell, Death is not in control, for a variety of other powers exercise their volition in taking lives. By John Donne. Of course it's not just our bones that rest when we die, but our whole bodies. He begins several consecutive lines with And. Through these lines, he is building the pacing by amassing what Death is a slave to. For example, when God was about to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, God promised Abraham that He would spare the whole city in order to save ten righteous people there. and if I must die, / I say that this crime is holy . Log in here. 2023 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so; No bragging rights for Death, according to the poet, who in the first two lines of his sonnet denounces in apostrophe the end of life, not proud, not so.. This personification is seen again in the final verse, "death, thou shalt die" where mortality is assigned to something considered eternal.4 All people in one way or another personify death; however, death is something that only holds its personification and life inside the mind of the beholder. a. The title of the 1981 hostage drama film Kings and Desperate Men starring Patrick McGoohan, Alexis Kanner and Margaret Trudeau is taken from the poem and McGoohan recites part of it in the film. . Further to this, however, it should also be noted that death is not actually present, and yet the speaker is addressing it, or him. Poisons which have ended kings and queens, eradicated vermin and other pestilences, even drugs which prosper and prolong life began as poisons which in improper doses kill, and quickly. Jewish? Rest of their bones, and souls delivery. The implied answer here, based on what Dickinson has said about death previously in the poem, is that death should not be arrogant, and so has no reason at all to "swell.". Finally, he tells Death, thou shalt die. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. my Captain! (ll. Latest answer posted November 06, 2015 at 8:48:49 PM. "Holy Sonnet 10" This final couplet sums up the metaphysical paradox of the resurrection of the dead in the Christian tradition: death itself will die because the dead will be resurrected. The point of a rhetorical question is to put an implied answer in the listener's mind. . Death has nothing to brag about, for death is put in comparison with rest, with sleep, with regenerative silence. He concludes the introductory argument of the first quatrain by declaring to death that those it claims to kill Die not (line 4), and neither can the poet himself be stricken in this way. He has taunted Death, telling him that he is not to be feared, but rather that he is a slave to the will of fate and men, and that as a lowly slave, his companions are the even lowlier beings such as sickness and war. O Captain! 1 In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. What rhyme scheme is the poem written in? Every single person that visits Poem Analysis has helped contribute, so thank you for your support. Such power is merely an illusion, and the end Death thinks it brings to men and women is in fact a rest from world-weariness for its alleged "victims." The speaker implies that sleep is simply a small glimpse of Death. The phrase is the same as in Genesis 2:17. Death, be not proud, though some have called thee. Sonnet 10, from John Donne's Holy Sonnets, a powerful apostrophe to death, is an illustration of the rhetoric and tenor of the time. our fearful trip is done, The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won," ." Yet online, I found only those with the ; -- like this: Death, be not proud (Holy Sonnet 10) John Donne. Even in the rest it brings, Death is inferior to drugs. ?If these delights thy mind may move,/Then live with me, and be my love." One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally, 30 seconds . With our Essay Lab, you can create a customized outline within seconds to get started on your essay right away. Donne's use of synecdoche here is much less obvious, more subtle: Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me. From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be. "John Donne: Poems Holy Sonnet 10, Death be not proud Summary and Analysis". The entire poem is addressed to Death. For those, whom thou think'st, Thou dost overthrow, Die not, poor death, nor yet canst Thou kill me." In this poem, the poet speaks to death, an inanimate idea, as if it were a person capable of understanding his feelings. How does the gardener recongize Death? In Sonnet 17, how does John Donne present loss of a loved one throughout the poem? 2023 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. It is through you visiting Poem Analysis that we are able to contribute to charity. How can death die? Together, these devices create a belittling tone toward death and ultimate hope in an eternal afterlife. This poet uses the literary tactic of apostrophe to drive home his point. Death, be not proud, though some have called thee Death, be not proud, though some have called thee. There will the river whispering runne Warm'd by thy eyes, more than the Sunne. It is very simple really. Start your 48-hour free trial to get access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts. Now when the bridegroom in the morning comes So the speaker is standing for the whole of humanity as part of the general theme of the piece. Both of these comparisons diminish death's fearful qualities. It's a slow and intentional direct address, somewhat confrontational in nature because of the long pauses. The speaker assumes the position of the one who must humble this being, Death. "Death, Be Not Proud" B. Which statement illustrates Donne's use of paradox? In other words death comes when summoned or ordered by kings, or when called upon by desperate, suicidal men, or sometimes simply when fate or chance decides that death should occur. The Society of Classical Poets does not endorse any views expressed in individual poems or comments. Death thinks it it possible to "overthrow," or end the lives of, humanity. Death, Be Not Proud, though some have called thee Mighty and dreadful, for thou are not so; By using an apostrophe, the poet is able to share their thoughts and feelings about death as an abstract idea by "speaking" to Death as if it could hear or understand. The poem is an example of apostrophe, addressing Death (personified) as a living being who is thus listening to the speaker. Instead, it delivers eternal life to those it touches. (8) Thou shalt surely die.--Better, as expressing the Hebrew emphasis of reduplication, Thou shalt die the death. In this famous poem, Walt Whitman uses apostrophe to great effect. Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow. 5 Vayne man, sayd she, that doest in vaine assay, A mortall thing so to, A:Death is incredibly sad. 1. Lucy Harington Russell, Countess of Bedford, "Analysis of John Donne's Death Be Not Proud", Poetry Analysis: 'Death Be Not Proud' By John Donne, "Death Be Not Proud" in Representative Poetry Online, http://www.cummingsstudyguides.net/Guides3/DeathBe.html, http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15836, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Death_Be_Not_Proud&oldid=1135852539, Christianity, Mortality, Resurrection, Eternal Life, This page was last edited on 27 January 2023, at 07:10. A. paradox B. simile C. metaphor D. personification, Siddhartha sees a holy man Siddhartha sees sickness, old age, death Siddhartha finds enlightenment Siddhartha meditates under Bodhi Tree Siddhartha is Hindu prince Siddhartha becomes religious. The first two lines are recited at the beginning of the title track to Children of Bodom's third album Follow the Reaper. In Inside No. Addressing Death as a person, the speaker warns Death against pride in his power. Such power is merely an illusion, and the end Death thinks it brings to men and women is in fact a rest from world-weariness for its alleged victims. The poet criticizes Death as a slave to other forces: fate, chance, kings, and desperate men. and if I must die, / I say that this crime is holy . Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so; For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow. Accessed 5 Mar. From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be . Why is the gardener afraid of Death? The answer is that Jesus was angry at the death of Lazarus and death in general. After reading and analyzing "Meditation 17," what do you think Donne means when he says "affliction is a treasure"? This poem is in the public domain. Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me. "Death, thou shalt die." b. The lady doth protest too much, methinks is a famous quote used in Shakespeares Hamlet. B.A. The sonnet addresses Death directly as if it were a person, an example of the devices of apostrophe and personification. From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be. No hungry generations tread thee down;" "O Captain! Why might that be and how, 1.) Echoing John Donne, the play suggests that death, like life, love, and God, cannot be rationally understoodthere is no . These accusations serve to allow the readers to feel a sense of power and victory over Death. . What type of meter and rhyme scheme does Donne use in "Death, be not proud". NOTE TO READERS: If you enjoyed this poem or other content, please consider making a donation to the Society of Classical Poets. In lines 11-12, Donne explains that poppy and charms can induce the same kind of sleep that death can, so he questions, why swellst thou then? In other words, he asks death why it swells with pride at its ability to put people to sleep when other more trivial things can do the job just as well. Here, he calls Death a slave to chance, kings, and desperate men. The threat of the men of Anathoth (Jeremiah 11:21) is repeated by the priests and prophets of Jerusalem. Let us know your assignment type and we'll make sure to get you exactly the kind of answer you need. . If the poem is an example of apostrophe, naturally, there is also personification. Death, be not Proud by John Donne is one of the poets best poems about death. ". Wit deliberately does not come to an easy conclusion. Thou shalt be borne to that same ancient vault. The poem is written in sonnet form for more about sonnets see below using the rhyming scheme ABBA, ABBA, CDDC, EE, a variation. Kissel, Adam ed. Donnes Holy Sonnet 10 follows the Elizabethan/Shakespearean sonnet form in that it is made up of three quatrains and a concluding couplet. He uses these devices to diminish Deaths power, so people will not fear Death as much as they do. 2023. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. Rest of their bones, and souls delivery. From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be, Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow, And soonest our best men with thee do go, A. Good analysis, but it was a huge stretch. This form of address is a literary device known as apostrophe, and we can see it most specifically in the opening of the poem"Death, be not proud"and in the closing "Death, thou shalt die.". The way the speaker talks to Death reveals that he is not afraid of Death, and does not think that Death should be so sure of himself and so proud. With the original punctuation. He tells Death that he is not mighty and dreadful, but rather a poor slave who cannot even act on his own but is driven not only by fate and chance, but also by people, rich and poor alike. Using an unnecessary apostrophe to form the plural of a noun is a very common mistake. Scan the poem and determine the rhythm. "*** C:"Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men." ", For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrowDie not. This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die." "Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird! C. epiphany. The speaker certainly feels authority over Death, and he passes this feeling along to his readers when he puts Death in his place by talking down to him. as it appears in "Death, be not proud" by John Donne. Describing the chariot that bears the human soul as "frugal" is an example of A. paradox. Wit, Death, and Meaning. Explain the meaning of "why swell'st thou then?" . death thou shalt die is an example of apostrophe. The speaker, however, with a, that he has the power to kill, he actually does not. Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men, Personification is the representation of . Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. When I see Samsung electronics. A villanelle is A. a narrative poem written in blank verse. In writing an essayon John Donne's "Holy Sonnet XIV," what would be a good thesis statement? Long live the King! is proclaimed from death to life, where the children of yesteryear become the rulers of today and the progenitors of the future. He tells him that he ought not to be so proud, even though for generations people have feared Death and called him mighty and dreadful. LitCharts assigns a color and icon to each theme in Wit, which you can use to track the themes throughout the work. Some of the figures of speech in "Death, Be Not Proud" include apostrophe, allusion, paradox, and caesura. Another literary device in this poem is a rhetorical question. For those whom thou thinkst thou dost overthrow Then, death will cease to exist altogether, will die. Poppy is a joyful word, a colorful, childlike flower winding away with careless wonder in the wind. However, Lord Capulet is using personification because the noun "Death" is turned into a person and he can do things. Donne uses the literary device of a rhyme scheme in this poem. 1) Which is an example of verbal irony as spoken by Antigone? Toward the end of the poem, she emphasizes the point by posing a rhetorical question, addressed to death. Death dies, or is Death dying? Siddhartha meditates under Bodhi Tree Siddhartha sees sickness, old age, death Siddhartha sees holy man Siddhartha becomes religious seeker and ascetic please check my work, A: that death has taken Juliet as his love and he wants to keep her B: That death has failed to kill Juliet C: that death is like a thief who has stolen his love I think it is. More by John Donne The Baite Come live with mee, and bee my love, And wee will some new pleasures prove Of golden sands, and christall brookes, With silken lines, and silver hookes. The speaker of this poem notes that death is simply a "short sleep," after which "we wake eternally / And death shall be no more. . A. simile B. metaphor C. paradox D. personification B? Then, he addresses Death in a more personal manner, challenging him by saying, yet canst thou kill me. In this poem, he uses "and" three times in a row to build up a sense that death's weaknesses go on and on. Poppy or charms can make us sleep as well. As well communicates in comparison and in addition, gaily sporting with the super-abounding grace of natures wonders, which man has contrived to ease his pain and quicken his rest. Answer: The gardener is afraid of death because he, Stars never really die. Paradoxes in literature are often less about logical conundrums and more about illuminating meaning. a. In Donne's opinion, death has no reason to be proud, because the power of death is weaker than the power of eternal life: "One short sleep past, we wake eternally, / And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die," (lines 13-14). Web design, development, and hosting by Five More Talents, http://www.aspresolver.com/aspresolver.asp?AFSO;FS000849, https://accradio.com/programs/erskinefaithforliving/faithforliving022123.mp3, Death, that sinister specter that haunts us through our days, is. Take note that Gen 2:17 simply says that Adam would die, it does not say how he would die or who would be the agent of death. Dickinson continues to, as it were, put "Death" in its place, by describing how it is, metaphorically, "slave to fate, chance, kings and desperate men." A sample of n = 80 people is obtained. C. immigrant D. door 7. Poem Summary Lines 1-4. Although it is obvious that Death is real, and that people who experience Death do not come back to earth, the speaker reveals his reasons for claiming that Death is weak and easily overcome. 2. Quotes. The speaker immediately creates a personified version of death by talking directly to him. When I see Korean cars on the roads in foreign countries, I feel proud of our country. When people are alive there are so many possibilities of what can happen and the amazing things they can do. And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die. Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men, Readers know immediately that this sonnet will consist of one speaker who will do all of the talking and accusing of his subject. Poor death is now the object of pity, the last enemy that will be thrown into the lake of fire. When Death is humanized, it loses some of the power that people naturally ascribe to it. English literature is full up with examples of apostrophe. From Death comes Much pleasure (line 5) since those good souls whom Death releases from earthly suffering experience Rest of their bones (line 6). "Thou shalt surely die" can be meant and understood in different ways. 9, Series 5, episode "Death Be Not Proud", the last two lines are recited. 1 Corinthians 15:26 states, "The last enemy to be destroyed is death." Latest answer posted April 28, 2021 at 8:02:38 PM. Death Be Not Proud presents an argument against the power of death. What is the problem in the octet in John Donne's sonnet "Death, be not proud," and how is the solution made in the sestet?