Colt King Cobra - Problems, Malfunctions, and Failures OH MY! The reason why I purchased these besides being a Colt fan fanatic was the simple fact that they were assembled by gunsmith not gun techs on a huge assembly line. Stroking the side of the revolver feels less like stroking the slick scales of a cobra and more like a cat licking your hand. Stroking the side of the revolver feels less like stroking the slick scales of a cobra and more like a cat licking your hand. All Colts locked up tighter than S&Ws or Rugers, if done correctly at the factory. In 2017 the costs are totally reversed, and hand-fitting would make the new Cobra a $2,000.00+ gun instead of a $699.00 gun. The GP100 is not small, though. In fact, that last conglomeration resembles a sentence only because it has period at the end. The IWI Galil ACE Full Review, US Responds to Russians After Shooting Down Syrian Fighter Jet: We will not hesitate to defend ourselves. Smith & Wesson Model 586: Reviewing A .357 Revolver With Class. I was hoping for better reviews. Muzzle jump and flip, commonly associated with small revolvers, is nonexistent on the Cobra. Exactly. Ive lost count of the Colt, Rugers, and S&Ws Ive owned over the years. The pain on the hand is prominent after practicing. Colt's 357 Magnum Concealed Carry Revolver Returns. Whether this was shooter error or a problem with an early batch from Colt, I have no idea. Accuracy was impressive. I was encouraged by the pull experience you had but yours must have been worked on to get the pull weights you claim. The problem with repairing these revolvers, is a strong tendency to decide to alter a part so that it will work instead of replacing it as intended. The trigger is excellent right out of the box and the sights work, not something that is true of many snub-nosed revolvers. Back around 1974 I bought the colt detective special which is still my carry gun today. Dont like, dont buy it. Ill probably be investing my money in a kimber k6s. As for the finish, I carry concealed. Peace Officer Retired And they had the gall to actually come out with a faux Cobra version of it, too. That was the shortest part of the article and didnt seem to be central at all. The grips do not stick to clothes. Colt Python 4.25 Problems Early reviews of the Python had a few guns that appeared to fail. These have the same general size of frame and the same size cylinder as the older small frame models. The double/single-action Cobra is the baby in Colts wheelgun lineup. Wheelgun Wednesday: Colt King Cobra Target .357 Magnum Review The new models are updated small frames like the old Detective Special and Diamondback. Some of these vintage gems can be found in the, Demand was so strong upon its release, the Cobra was often difficult to find. Additionally Colt isnt even accepting old Pythons back to the factory for repair because A) They are out of most of the partsand more importantly B) Most if not all of the Colt employees who could actually time them are gone. The new Cobra is pricey, too, just like any other Colt. Otherwise well proportioned revolver. Never gonna happen, Colt left most of the Python tooling in the old Colt building in the area where US Patent/US Firearms was making their SAAs. Its something new to them and to anyone whos never shot a revolver. To purchase on GunsAmerica.com, click this link: https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?Keyword=Colt%20cobra. It will be interesting to see what Colt does next. Items you may find in this auction include 500 firearms to include modern & collectible rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders, revolvers and pistols. It was like an afterthought for Colt to do something like that. Think they wasted a lot of effort on a gun that probably wont sell good. It is a shame they caved and stopped making civilian firearms, revolvers. I read a story of a woman in Ohio (as I recall) who shot a home invader who had chased her and her children up to the attic. There have been quite a few revisions and improvements since the first run. Probably get the interest of soldiers, police and home defense and doesnt recoil as strongly as the .357 Magnum and a little more than a .38 Special but they are a hard hitter with ball or JHP bullets. Holy CrapI read the whole article and all the comments so far and the word Python only came up once. Introduced at the. mainspring gives the trigger its characteristic Colt "stacking" feel, in homage to the original D-Frames that the new Cobra traces its roots to. The new Colt Cobra and King Cobra models are not medium frame revolvers like the old King Cobra. I was just looking at an Enhanced Internal Diagram of the new Cobra. Youve got to be out of your mind if you think theyre going to come out with a super-fancy, high-end revolver right off the bat, after filing bankruptcy. They hold their value better than 38s and are heavier, plus the heavier gun creates a lesser kick. Ive been hearing hype about this gun since late 2016. The new Colt King Cobras are guilty of slide plate screw misalignment, sticky ejector, trigger spring/ hammer issue, long trigger reset and double action problems. Colt also offers a tritium front sight as an upgrade. Im a woman and I love this revolver. Great to see a Colt with the heavier steel frame.My only concern is the compressed metal parts ( trigger ,hammer) instead of the machined ones on the original Colts. see fit to give us a longer ejection rod in atleast a 2 1/2 barrel shroud thatll positively shuck out the cases (better even than my K. Cobra)? A well place bullet (even a pellet gun) will kill you if the round finds vitals. Why are stories like these, involving Colt revolvers, so prevalent? Im not sure how many are planned to be released, but according to the rep it is a special low quantity release.. Email me and I can forward pictures,,, I was looking to buy a Colt Cobra any information would be helpful. Review: Colt Cobra | An Official Journal Of The NRA It stood alone not only in Colts line at that time, but in American mass-production gunmaking at that time. Actually, the Boys in Brazil are cranking out some really nice stuff nowadays. The Cobra features a transfer bar safety that ensures the revolver will only fire when the trigger is pulled. We have used my 79 Dback in our Womens Intro classes in the past and it does better than do the K frames- shorter trigger reach. Revolvers, To me it sounds like Colt just released the Mustang II of the gun world. The New Colt Python 2020: A Powerful .357 Magnum Revolver I have pictures of handgun. Defender 45 ACP 3IN Barrel Matte Black Cerakote Handgun . Feature Articles, . Should he have kept it a secret? COLT (In Stock) 0.0. The smooth feel of the trigger pull was matched only by the exquisite exterior finish. Nor anywhere near as light as the Charter Bulldog. the Chrome versions seem out of place today I agree with the writer of this story on what the quality of these guns is probably going to be or their lack of. She fired five times and I seem to think that she hit him five times before he decided hed had enough and left the house. Then come out with the Detective Specials again. Making the parts on CNC, EDM or MIM machines does, however, more than suffice in a S&W or Ruger. Review: Colt Cobra - Handguns There is a definite market. The Python 6 and 4.25 revolvers the Cobra and King Cobra in the Colt stables. I believe that they were never cataloged. I own a Taurus 605 and the Colt is head and shoulders above it. Finding a Cobra has been a problem since Colt discontinued it was in the early 1980s and originals became collector items. Gist of what I heard: Good review. Cylinder lock-up? Still waitn. Theyre the only Gun Company besides Caltech that you you have a constant supply of firearms being shipped back to the manufacturer because of design problems and just poor quality parts. Yall dont live in real life. This is not John Waynes revolver it is a modern work of art! Ive carried a Taurus 605 as my everyday carry gun for several years and have never had a problem with it. My 1974 Cobra is my usual carry. Need Help?service@guns.comCall (866)582-4867, PO Box 1131 13800 Nicollet Blvd Burnsville, MN 55337 2023Guns.com. The only chambering currently offered is .38 Special +P. A vintage Colt Cobra 2nd model located in the Guns.com Vault. After steel, I will never go back to aluminum, as I like the weight. Colt 1911 Combat Commander Series 70 Steel Frame c. 9MM LUGER 1911 COMMANDER COLT COMBAT SEMI AUTO PISTOL LIKE NEW IN BOX G PETERS 1500-6. At $699 MSRP, that type of blued finish just isnt possible these days. The IWI Galil ACE Full Review, Previous post: US Responds to Russians After Shooting Down Syrian Fighter Jet: We will not hesitate to defend ourselves, Your email address will not be published. Concealed Carry, Im pretty sure Colt got rid of their custom shop so now who knows you probably cant get it done anymore. Gun Review: Colt King Cobra .357 Revolver - The Truth About Guns After the release of a YouTube video where the The 2020 Colt Python was seen to malfunction, people have made claims that Colt is recalling the firearm. . Theres never been a better revolver for smaller handed shooters such as women. Just my $0.10 worth. Leave the .357s to longer barrels where they belong. The. Three down sides were the grips had a very light white bleach stain, but might darken with gun cleaner and gun oil. Why anyone would want a .38 over a .357Mag. And beautiful. Are you guys at GUNSAMERICA interested in pictures of a Colt Cobra NRA special edition that has not been released to public?? The New Colt Cobra is heavier than its namesake, as the original was made with an aluminum frame rather than steel. After a 36-year hiatus, and to much fanfare, Colt brought back the Cobra in 2017. Like a dummy I sold it years ago. 38 is a bit light for a defensive caliber. It will fit in a box 7.2 inches x 4.9 inches x 1.4 inches. Thanks for the article. Buzz, The new Colt Cobras are a little more affordable for people who just need a new Pony. The new Pythons are definitely the sort of guns that will go with you to the range every time you head out this year, and probably also next year and the year after that But they're also serious shooters. Never was much of a Colt lover but wish I had scooped up more of those unpopular snake guns in the 90s when you literally couldnt give them away. Colt Cobra TT 38 Special +P Rated Double Action Revolver with Black DLC Cylinder $749.00 $619.99; Notify Me When Available; Brand: Colt; These guns are now held to extremely tight tolerances and Colt isnt shy about rejecting even the smallest flaws. I did notice some of the black paint stripped off just outside and near the cylinder but on the left side of the body, along an edge, very slightly noticeable, after one month, and only using it at a range once, which I thought would have occurred one year into it. I cant think of any other gun from any other manufacture that got the level of attention and finish that the Python did in its heyday. Im thankful to see something not made out of plastic. I have been a Colt fan all my life. A. By signing up you agree to Guns.com's The way Ive heard it, there are two easily defined camps: Sig people and Glock people; every manufacturer and their mother is trying to be the next Glock, but the Sig people have far fewer options. Sure and add a couple of hundred to the price. revolver in 25 years. Theres a market for them today, and Im surprised that Colt didnt jump in with both feet, instead of teasing the market with a hideout gun. Defender 45 ACP 3IN BBL Matte Stainless Cerakote Handgun. The Colt Cobra: A Capable Snub-Nosed Snake Gun :: Guns.com Thanks , Bob. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. No ones making any false claims here brother. We fed a mix of ammo to the test Cobra with decent accuracy. The extra-large trigger guard allowed ample room for gloved fingers and the hammer pull and mechanics were slick and sound. The King Cobrawas re-released in 2019, and the Pythonin 2020. They Python, yes, hand polished, hand-fitted parts that worked like lubricated glass. The Colt Cobra is a snubnose revolver, and is a lighter version of the Colt Detective Special. We are building all Cobras right here in our factory in West Hartford, Connecticut. You really shouldnt have built these pistols if you actually hope to stay in the gun industry without total failure. I can recommend this gun without reservation, something I cant say about all compact revolvers. The King Cobra fits between a S&W K frame and a J frame in size. William Tiewater. Substantial recoil but not uncomfortable recoil. Not the first rimfire "snake" gun-- Colt marketed the original circa 1950s first issue Cobra in .22LR and made a .22LR Diamondback into the early 1990s-- the new Baby Snake fills a hole the . Hogue overmolded grips come standard and a red fiber optic front sight comes factory installed. So, Colt has done the hard work for us here. They locked up well, but their finish was quite rough by comparison to the Python. In double action mode the trigger is smooth, and in single action mode the break is crisp and clean. The finish looks like a car in primer. Has anyone found any of these for sale online brand new in box? Sorry for the bad news. Direct Stock Entry New Products Hot Sellers Rebate Items Dream Guns . Many times, small-frame revolvers are suggested for new shooters because theyre easy to handle and dependable. There still are some jigs that survive at the East Hartford plant in the testfire area but they look rusted beyond salvation. Gunsmithing the Colt Double Action Revolvers - Colt Fever I stopped buying 38s years ago and Ill tell you why. owned by my Uncle Pete, a small- town deputy sheriff in the 1940s. Every cowboy needs a revolver. Im more interested on how this compares to Ruger, S&W and maybe now Kimber than anything else since that is more of where its priced at. I have not seen the new Cobra. Jan 6, 2022 Colt is officially putting their 3-inch Python revolver Federal, Remington and Winchester have all proven accurate and useful. Tauruss biggest thing going for it is that they are affordable. The items in this catalog will be sold at a live auction with online bidding starting on Saturday March 18, 2023 @ 9:00am. Youd have to go back to the pre-Depression double guns of Parker, Fox, et al, and some custom-orders from Winchesters custom shop prior to WWII. Heck, my old Trooper Mk. Dont make them generally available. To make the guns royal blue and perfect is not a hard thing to do its simply tumbling the parts until you get the finished you need to apply the bluing. Nothing wrong with 38 special (especially with +P) and if you want something else, buy it! Best trade I ever made. And Colt still missed the mark with the design. The grouping opened up only slightly in double-action. First of all, I like the idea that they made it a bit heavier but I think they made it too heavy. The new Kimber revolver at least looks great for the money. Colt has made it clear that this is the First offering. Field Report: The New Colt King Cobra - RevolverGuy.Com The original Cobra had numerous options/variations; will we see these or similar guns coming? My father got that iconic revolver back in the estate, and it has naturally become a family heirloom. Some of their best now work at Standard Mfg./Connecticut Shotgun. Though Ive owned only S&Ws, Im a revolver guy and definitely will look at the Cobra. Out of the box, there was one inner internal scratch, not noticeable until one opens the cylinder, in a spot where it would not affect function, so I did not mind, it added character like a body scar. Another modification has been made, this one to trigger geometry. There are reports that hundreds of guns have been affected by these issues causing a quiet recall to take place on these 2020 Colt . Wow too bad you cant read and comprehend. They seem to really like the gun with its special new grip design & larger trigger & trigger guard. Yeah, the same ol, same ol striker fired polymer affair. They have graphs, charts other tests that resemble a pathological liar's polygraph test. It has some holster wear and is probably in need of new grips but after much practice for a snub its pretty accurate. I found that rather than splitting the dot, I needed to cover it; otherwise, I tended to land a little low. Caliber: .357 Magnum, .38 Spl, .38 Spl +P. Tradition and nostalgia are important for a lot of gun enthusiasts. Colt Python: First Shots! - SHOT Show 2020 - GunsAmerica Digest Outdoor Sporting Consignment Online Auction | Harmeyer Auction Someone else said if Darth Vader had a 38 snub, this would be it. I bought a Colt Cobra back in 1965 when I heard I was going to `nam. This revolver is of the same quality as a Taurus 85. When I dress Western, nothing beats the classic good looks of my Smith & Wesson (S&W) 586 .357 revolver. So I set the gun down pointing down range and got one of the cult guys to take a look at it and he was a Salesman so he hollered over to one of the gunsmith. Great informative post, thank you. Although we expected no less than perfection, the Cobra fired all ammo with 100 percent reliability. So I carry a Charter Arms Police Undercover because its over 20 oz and holds SIX rounds. As I began rummaging through my stockpile of ammunition, I realized that I had sufficient quantities to really do more than just accuracy testing with the Black Hills 125-grain 38 Special +P.Once I was equipped with all the necessary gear, I strapped on the Colt, loaded up my speed loaders and speed strips, and headed to the range. Does anyone think that they will continue Manufacturing the snake gun series into the king cobra anaconda and python? Features & Specifications of New Colt King Cobra: New Colt King Cobra Common New Colt King Cobra Problems and Solutions Slide Plate Screw Misaligned Hell, TAURUSs stainless looks better than that. Colt was not happy with their original CNC shop and switched after finding a machine shop with state of the art machines and equipment that could fit their needs better. Back to the Colt, I see where its finally making it out to a few hands on reviewers (late June 2017). ALL of the parts for the Cobra are contracted out and made off site, they are just assembled at the factory. Colt 1911 Series 70 A full review of the GI model here. Now sit down and ponder what that means for how solid the lockup feels. Colt Combat Commander Series 70 ReviewThe Nighthawk Custom Colt Series Save those semi-hand-made Pythons, the new King Cobra is as good as any of the standard production double action revolvers Colt has made. You may as well tell us youd prefer a Nighthawk 1911 over a Colt 1911. I dont think anyone would assume that a $700 revolver would be better than a $1700 revolver. I can shoot my K. Cobra much better & am hoping the new Cobra is a good compromise & hoping them to upgrade it. The good news is that the trigger is great. I am about the same age as Mr. Hodoway and I too remember the 60s / 70s when the Colt D frame and their Smith & Wesson brethren K frames were the Glocks of their time. Excellent suggestion. I believe these guns spawned legacies because they were more than just the parts that went into them; they represented unparalleled American craftsmanship in an era when national pride was still a shining virtue. Would it have killed them to polish the thing? Wondering if you could comment on grips for this gun. , rifling 1/14 LH twist. 327 Meteor. Thank God I Had a Gun: True Accounts of Self-Defense Paperback February 1, 2014 I had to leave it there when I rotated as this type of thing, along with ammo, disarmed hand grenades, M16s and disassembled M60s were sneaking out of country on a regular basis.